ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Creature Walks Among Us (1956)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: The Creature Walks Among Us (1956) Reply with quote

The second sequel to "The Creature from the Black Lagoon" manages to achieve a bit more originality than "The Revenge of the Creature".

During the creature's capture it becomes badly burned, and two scientists (Jeff Morrow and Rex Reason, both from "This Island Earth") operate on the monster to save its life.

During surgery the scientists discover that the creature possesses a second layer of non-aquatic skin beneath the burned outer layer and a dormant set of lungs. After the scientists stimulate the creature's lungs, it undergoes a dramatic transformation, developing more muscle tissue and a new skin surface -- all of which make it capable of living on land.

Jeff Morrow's inhumane treatment of the creature eventually causes it to go beserk; the climax is a great scene in the which the monster literally wrecks the furniture in a house!

The land-bound creature is played by Don Megowan ("Creation of the Humanoids"). Terrific music, credited to the great Hans Salter (portions of which are available on an album). Directed by John Sherwood ("The Monolith Monsters") from a screenplay by Arthur Ross (who co-wrote the original).

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:18 am; edited 7 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brother, if this wonderful trailer doesn't inspire Rick to relate a great story about the day he saw this movie at the LeRose Theater, I swear I'll sneeze while wearing my space helmet in front of 20 witnesses! Shocked

~ The Space Children (1958)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:48 am; edited 2 times in total
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Creature Walks Among Us (1956) Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:

. . . After the scientists stimulate the creature's lungs, it undergoes a dramatic transformation, developing more muscle tissue and a new skin surface -- all of which make it capable of living on land.

. . . The land-bound creature is played by Doug Megowan ("Creation of the Humanoids").

It's Don Megowan. And I guess that bit about "developing more muscle tissue" explains how the poor Gill-Man got six inches taller and a foot wider in the shoulders. Megowan was a big guy!

Last edited by scotpens on Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction made on that name, sir! Very Happy

I thank you, the creature thanks you, Don thanks you, and Doug would thank you too, but apparently he's just a figment of my imagination. Shocked

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this rather striking picture of the original gill man suit, accented by the dramatic lighting. It a promotional piece for the old Castle 8mm films.

Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the feet the artist put on the creature in the poster above. Not exactly the "swim fins" the creature actually had. I realize that the creature was greatly changed in this movie, but the change tended to make him a bit more human, so his fingers and toes were less like claws, not more so.

And I love the way the artist rejected the traditional pose which showed a monster with a women in a torn dress or nightgown, draped across its arms. This poster shows the monster embracing the girl with one arm while clutching her bare leg with the other hand — and he looks eager to lay a big wet kiss right on her lips!
[/img]

_________ The Creature Walks Among Us (1956)

The 3rd film in the Creature From the Black Lagoon trilogy, after Revenge of the Creature (55). This goes into a different direction as the Creature sheds some of its fish-like outer appearance after a fire and begins to look a bit more like a human, and with human lungs. The Creature, therefore, can longer live in the waters, lending a depressing tone to the overall film.

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus

Last edited by Bogmeister on Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the feet the artist put on the creature in the poster above — the look like the claws of an eagle.

Not exactly the "swim fins" the creature actually had. Rolling Eyes

I realize that the creature was greatly changed in this movie, but the change was intended to make him a bit more human, so his fingers and toes were less like claws, not more so.

And I love the way the artist rejected the traditional pose which showed a monster with a women in a torn dress or nightgown, draped across its arms. This poster shows the monster with one arm wrapped around the girl's waist while clutching her bare leg with the other hand — and he seems to be fascinated by her cleavage. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: