ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bernie Wrightson and Frank Frazetta

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Bernie Wrightson and Frank Frazetta Reply with quote

While attending the 25th World Science Fiction Convention (aka: Nycon 3) at the tender age of 19, I was among a group of goggled-eyed fans who actually met Frank Frazetta -- along with young Jeff Jones, silver-haired Hal Foster, and an amazingly generous Roy Krinkle, who sat outside the dealers' room and render sketches which he gave away to adoring fans who stood in line for them.

We also met a young artist named Bernie Wrightson who introduced himself to Frank at a luncheon held in honor of Mr. Foster (which I was somehow allowed to attend -- I don't remember how I managed it.)

Later that evening he came by our hotel room to discuss the long talk he'd had with Frazetta and Jones about how to handle his career as an illustrator. He sold me these two drawings for $5.00 each.

The whole weekend was filled with magical moments which placed a pimple-faced teenager from Georgia in places where history was being made.

For example: Frazetta invited a group of us up to his hotel room, introduced us to his family, chatted with us for hours, and showed us dozens of original paintings from Conan, Creepy, and Eerie covers.

At our insistence, he allowed us to purchase original Johnny Comet panels. I purchased two, which I still have.

These pieces were done by Bernie Wrightson for Stan Winston when the production team working on Galaxy Quest was designing aliens for that great movie.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Gallery 11 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: