ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jungle Captive (1944)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Jungle Captive (1944) Reply with quote

A new cast is used in this sequel to "Jungle Woman", which in turn was a sequel to "Captive Wild Woman".

This time Vicki Lane is the Ape Woman brought back to life by scientist Otto Kruger (formerly played by John Carradine in the first film, J. Carrol Naish in second).

Kruger's assistant is played by Rondo Hatton (the actor whose face was horribly deformed by a disease known as acromegaly). Hatton is best known as "The Creeper", a homicidal maniac in 1946's "House of Horrors". Otto Kruger's long career included "The Colossus of New York" in 1958. Directed by Harold Young.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:52 pm; edited 4 times in total
Casey62
Senior Crewman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first recollection of JUNGLE CAPTIVE is a Famous Monsters issue from 1970 that featured a terrific cover painting of the Ape Woman strangling Otto Kruger.

I was in 3rd grade and a kid brought it to class one day. It was the first time I'd seen a monster magazine, and of course I was drooling with delight as I leafed through the pages. In those days, just seeing the moody black and white photos of all the classic horrors was enough to satisfy a budding monsterkid's appetite. It was akin to seeing the actual films.

Believe it or not, it wasn't until about 45 years later that I finally saw JUNGLE CAPTIVE for the first time. This was the only entry in the Ape Woman trilogy (and the only Universal horror I never saw) that was never shown on Chicago's late-night staple,"Creature Features", and it was never released officially on DVD — which I think is still the case.

Anyway, I finally tracked down a decent DVD-R on iOffer and upon seeing the film, I could evaluate how it stacks up to my childhood imaginings that those FM photos inspired.

Obviously those memories make me partial to this one in the trilogy, but then how can I not like a movie that showcases Rondo Hatton and features one of my favorite character actors Otto Kruger as a mad doctor?

So, yeah, I'd say overall the film lived up to my expectations — that is, reasonable expectations for a fun, 40's B monster flick. In fact, I liked it well enough to check e-bay and pick up that copy of FM so I could come full circle on JUNGLE CAPTIVE.

Last edited by Casey62 on Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casy, for giving us such a great story from the days of your youth (right out of the memories we all have of Monsterkid stuff like this), you deserve a reward!

I found a reasonably good jpeg on eBay of the FM issue you mentioned, and I worked my magic enhancements on it to make it look like this.

Does it bring back good memories? I sure hope so! It's available on eBay for $9.95.
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Casey62
Senior Crewman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it — thanks, Bud! That's about what I paid for it about six months ago. My classmate only paid 60 cents for his! Mad
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YouTube used to have the full movie, and the picture was reasonably good, but it's gone now. However, here's the film to which Jungle Captive is the sequel. I watched a little of it and was impressed!

Enjoy, jungle movie fans! Very Happy

__________________ Jungle Woman (1944)

_________

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for fun, here's the trailer for Jungle Captive.

_____________ Jungle Captive (1945) - trailer

_________

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: