ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mutiny in Outer Space (1965)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Mutiny in Outer Space (1965) Reply with quote

A slightly misleading title; it isn't really a mutiny, it's an infection by an alien fungus which turns the crewmen of space station X-7 into monsters. It's filmed in black-and-white, of course, so don't be fooled by the colorful poster.

Just for the record, there is a scene in which one of the guys sort of "swings" across a room with a gal clinging to his back, but he isn't holding a tentacle, and no tentacle is holding him. It looks like this.

Good luck trying to keep a straight face while you watch this guy pretend to have a firm grip on that thin beam above him (plywood probably, because it wobbles) while he and the girl keep their feet planted on the floor (out of frame) and walk across the room! Laughing

All in all, this is just a poor job from director Hugo Grimaldi and stars Glenn Langan, Pamela Curran, Richard Garland, William Leslie, and Dolores Faith.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:50 pm; edited 7 times in total
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud & I watched this movie today and it was fine. It has a similar story to the Green Slime, but nowhere near as good. I have always heard that this is a German movie, but apparently not. Another source said that it was an Italian/USA production. The space rockets are very similar to rockets in Italian space movies.

Details
Language: English
Release Date: 3 March 1965 (USA)
Filming Locations: Producers Studios - 5330 Melrose Avenue, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, USA
Technical Specs
Runtime: 82 min
Sound Mix: Mono
Color: Black and White
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldogtrekker wrote:
It has a similar story to the Green Slime, but nowhere near as good.

I'd say it was better than Green Slime if you're looking for a serious movie that doesn't look like a comedy that was supposed to be serious.

It just looks like a serious movie that nobody can take seriously.

And Mutiny in Outer Space came out four years earlier than Green Slime!

There is no official DVD of this movie, and the gray market DVDs are fair at best. Neither IMDB nor Wikipedia offer much info on it, other than that the budget was $90,000.

From personal knowledge I can add that much of the music is borrowed from Leith Steven's score for Destination Moon.

As BDT said, the spaceship scenes are obviously borrowed from Italian productions like Battle of the Worlds — but they certainly could have done worse in that respect.

Lovely Delores Faith is one of several attractive ladies in this movie, and she gets to talk in this one — unlike her other claim to fame, Phantom Planet.

Francine York also decorates the scenery.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:18 am; edited 4 times in total
Krel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this at the show, when it came out. It was paired with "The Human Duplicators". I was six or seven at the time, depending on what month it was at the show. Laughing

David.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice print of this movie is on Youtube.

______________ Mutiny In Outer Space (1965)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production. Very Happy

~ On the Italian movie poster, an astronaut is shown enveloped by some kind of alien robot with long metal tentacles. There is no such being in the movie.

Note from me: I couldn't find that poster, but I did find this one. Very nice artwork. Very Happy

~ This film about a deadly extraterrestrial fungus takes place on Space Station X-7. A previous film about a deadly extraterrestrial fungus was Space Master X-7 (1958).

Note from me:Ah-ha! The space travelers in this movie encountered the same fungus that was brought to Earth in Space Master X-7! Cool! Cool

~ The images of the rocket at the beginning are from the Italian film 'Assignment: Outer Space' (1960)

Note from me: The rockets are the beautiful models used in Battle of the Worlds, and in that movie they were skillfully maneuver on wires against star-filled backgrounds and miniature asteroid surfaces.

But in this movie, the models were poorly superimposed over other shots of the miniature space station or space backgrounds, and the rocket images shack around so much it spoils the FX. Sad

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at any part of this movie you'll see special effects so bad that you'll wonder how the audiences back when it was released endured such crap! Shocked

I realize that kids like me in the 1950s were hungry for new science fiction experiences. But I was never so young that cinematic drivel like this fooled me into thinking it was worth watching . . . Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: