ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Ambushers (1967)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: The Ambushers (1967) Reply with quote

This installment in Dean Martin's "Matt Helm" series involves a stolen American-built flying saucer that can only be flown by women pilots because the anti-gravity engines kill men ( . . . Huh?). Never mind, just remember that a Matt Helm movie is supposed to be "sexy", not sensible. Dean and sexy Janice Rule team up to get the saucer back from the bad guys (Kurt Kasznar and Albert Salmi). Sexy Senta Berger ("When Woman Had Tails") is neither good nor bad, just sexy.

Each Matt Helm movie featured a joke weapon that spoofed the spy craze in general, and some of these were pretty clever. "The Ambushers" had three joke weapons, but they were they were weak jokes at best. One is a "levitation pistol" that moves objects around (the bad guy uses it to pull down the zipper on Janice Rule's miniskirt). The other weapon is a bra with built-in guns (Janice uses it to shot the bad guy who pulls down the zipper of her miniskirt).

The third is a pistol that dissolves metal -- which Matt uses to dissolve the belt buckles of the bad guys, making their pants fall down.

It also features an inflatable shelter which Dean pulls from the trunk of his car, complete with inflatable funriture, inflatable bed, inflatable bar, etc. The fight between Dean and a bad guy in a beer brewery is right out of a Marx brothers' movie. Beverly Adams returns as Dean's sexy secretary, Lovy Cravesit, but she only gets two short scenes, both as short as the skirt she's wearing. Directed by Henry Levin.

Loyal fans of 1950s sci-fi films will notice a few things that are borrowed from another Columbia film, "Earth vs. the Flying Saucers": the sound the saucer makes and the sound of the device that deactivates the engines.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:53 pm; edited 4 times in total
Krel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen this movie in decades, and it is the only Matt Helm movie I saw in the theater, because...IT HAS A FLYING SAUCER!!! Hey, I was nine at the time.

I think this movie is the first film to have exo-skeletons. I recognized them from "The Twenty-First Century" tv show.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a sexy trailer for this move!

I also found this rather uneventful clip in which Janice Rule rides in the flying saucer atop a railroad flatcar while Dean Martin rides a motorcycle alongside the tracks. He saves Janice (who is wearing a very short slip and boots) using his anti-gravity pistol, levitating her off the flatcar and placing her onto his motorcycle.

Ho-hum. Watch this dull clip if you don't anything better to do. Rolling Eyes

___________________ The Ambushers - trailer

________________ The Ambushers 1967 - clip

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some nice scenery in the location footage shot at Acapulco's Las Brisas Hotel, but this low point in the Matt Helm series is really only for die-hard Dean Martin fans.

The flying saucer also appeared in episodes of Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has one interesting trivia item for this production. Very Happy

~ To keep their budget low, the producers of this film used items already on the lot. The 'flying saucer" was used in the Star Trek episode "The Alternative Factor" as Lazarus' time jumping ship, and the central control console at the ICE headquarters in the early scene was used as the control console for the Romulan spaceship in the episode "Balance of Terror."

Note from me: The claim about the saucer is dead wrong, of course. The prop from TOS bears no resemblance in size or shape to the saucer in the Matt Helm movie — which looks like a VW version of Supercar. Rolling Eyes

Compare it to the third picture below, which is the saucer from The Ambushers. How could anybody mistaken these two as the same prop? Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: