ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Frankenstein 1970 (1958)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Frankenstein 1970 (1958) Reply with quote

_____

First of all, this is an excellent poster! Very Happy

The story is a strange mixture of old and new elements.

This is a 1950s American revival of the Frankenstein series from the 1930s and 1940s, even though the story is set in the year 1970 . . . and yet Boris Karloff returns to in starring role, playing the doctor rather than the monster . . . except that he's the original doctor's fourth-generation descendant . . . and yet Karloff gets to make a brief appearance at the end as the monster, too!

But wait, there's more!

The Frankenstein-ancestor which Karloff plays wants to try his hand at the family's traditional experiments, but he's short on cash, so he agrees to let a TV crew come into his castle and shoot a special on the 150th anniversary of his infamous ancestor.

Okay, sure, that sounds reasonable and practical and thoroughly modern . . . but Karloff relaxes in his spare time by playing morose melodies on his Captain Nemo organ, and he pilfers the brain of his servant to build his monster . . . then he sends his hideous creation out to slay the TV crew!

What a movie!

Directed by Howard F. Koch.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This trailer makes the movie look pretty good, except for the fact that the monster seems to be nothing but a bandaged-wrapped "mummy" with the silliest, over-sized head since The Man Without a Body.

The lab set, however, is reasonably good. And Boris gives a fine performance.

________________ Frankenstein 1970 - Trailer

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:35 pm; edited 8 times in total
Rick
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this at my local movie house at a Saturday matinee in 1960. I had seen the trailer a week or two earlier and, as you suggested, it looked pretty neat. But the main focus of the trailer, and definitely the aspect which impressed me was all the KARLOFF stuff!

I had, of course, heard of Boris Karloff, even though I wouldn't see my first issue of FM for about 5 or 6 months, and though I'd never seen any of his movies, I knew he was a big freakin' deal in the monster world.

Watching the movie, though, I found it hard to wrap my head around the notion that this bent, white-haired old man was the great, scary Karloff.

The movie was, of course, not good. And I knew it even then. But, at least, I'd seen the great Karloff.

Nostalgia is a funny and powerful thing. Though I didn't care for this movie in 1960, and though I realize that it's quite poor — still — it makes me smile. It takes me back to being ten years old at the LeRose Theater. So the movie stunk, so what? I was ten years old and had a lifetime of monster movies in front of me.

Nostalgia is a funny and powerful thing. Though I didn't care for this movie in 1960, and though I still realize that it's quite poor — still — it makes me smile. It takes me back to being ten years old at the LeRose Theater. So the movie stunk, so what? I was ten years old and had a lifetime of monster movies in front of me.
CinemaBill
Junior Crewman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Guilty pleasure Reply with quote

I enjoyed this movie mostly because of Boris Karloff. But, it does have some charm on its own. Lots of chewing the scenery in this one but after all it was the 50's and it fit right into the horror/sci-fi mold of the times.

Don Barry was being Don Barry and that one actor, I believe he actually had a radio show, had the goofiest grin throughout the entire film.

And of course, don't forget to look for the Maltese Facon statuette on the bookcase in one scene. After all it was filmed at Warner Bros. studio so why not grab the statuette from the prop room?

I watch this one every time it airs.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The title of this movie, Frankenstein 1970, suggests a great idea for a spoof.

A mad scientist creates a monster from body parts — all of which came from murdered Disc dancers of the John Travolta type from Saturday Night Fever.

The mad scientist wants to create the ultimate Disco King!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: