ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Humanoid (1979)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: The Humanoid (1979) Reply with quote

Isn't it nice the way YouTube suggests videos based on your past preferences? Very Happy

This one just popped up among their suggestions, and I've never even heard of it. The video is from somebody's old VHS tape, so the picture ain't too good. No surprise, eh?

Anybody remember this one? Confused

___________________ The Humanoid (1979)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat May 29, 2021 11:04 am; edited 2 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

L'umanoide, internationally released as The Humanoid and Humanoid, is a 1979 Italian science fiction film directed by Aldo Lado (credited as George B. Lewis).

The movie bears many similarities to the original Star Wars, for instance, a similar opening text crawl detailing current events in the film, the main villain wears a costume similar to that of Darth Vader and he commands a triangle-shaped spaceship resembling a Star Destroyer.

Many of the sets, costumes and vehicles also appear similar in design and the director, Aldo Lado, goes by the alias "George B. Lewis" in reference to George Lucas.

All and all.....Not a very good movie.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, another great post, Gord. Very Happy

I've never seen this movie, but I'd like to. Knowing that I should have high expectations might allow me to enjoy it to some degree.

I guess this is an example of the idea that even though imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, it's rarely an effective way to create quality results.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stunning Corinne Cleary was in 007's Moonraker while the lovely Barbara Bach was in The Spy Who Loved Me.
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of Richard Kiel's follow-up roles just after he briefly became a big star in The Spy Who Loved Me (77); he plays some kind of alien in this one — though there are two versions — a Han Solo-type hero and his dummy duplicate.

As stated everywhere else, this is probably the most blatant Italian copy of the megahit Star Wars.

Also, for whatever reason, Kiel was paired with his co-star from the James Bond film, Barbara Bach, in a couple of later films, including this one. Old-time character actor Arthur Kennedy also lends his talents to this, as an evil doctor.

_____

Goldweber, David Elroy (2012-06-14). Claws & Saucers: Science Fiction, Horror, and Fantasy Film: A Complete Guide 1902-1982 (Kindle Locations 36869-36883). David E. Goldweber. Kindle Edition
    You know by now, Dear Reader, that I never begrudge imitations, especially sexy science fiction imitations made in Italy.

L'Umanoide comes to us from familiar names like Aldo Lado, Enzo Castellari, Antonio Margheriti, and Ennio Morricone. Morricone's electronic score is particularly compelling during the extended dreamy title sequence, setting up a wonderful mood for fans of 70s nostalgia.

Inspired casting gives us Richard Kiel as the Viking-like space rogue who gets transformed into (of course) a grunting giant. Our heroine is played by Corinne Cléry who appeared alongside Kiel in Moonraker and who wears no underwear throughout The Humanoid.

Our sycophantic evil scientist is played by Arthur Kennedy (The Antichrist), who steals most of his scenes. Finally, our evil warlord is played by Ivan Rassimov, though his mask obscures his perfect villain face.
_______
    You could play a drinking game where everybody drinks every time an obvious Star Wars moment pops up. Not only do the evil soldiers all wear Darth Vader helmets, but the evil empress (Barbara Bach from Island of the Fishmen) even has a Darth Vader hairstyle!

The effects are inconsistent, and the climax is a rescue mission rather than an interstellar battle, but the picture generally achieves its attempt to feel epic and grand. You would think it had a huge budget. Pacing feels quicker than it really is because of the strong acting and the near-continuous array of striking (if unsubtle) outfits and uniforms. Some space battles could have been more intense, but the smaller-scale laser gun battles are exciting.

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: