ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Robocop: The Series (1994 - 1995)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Robocop: The Series (1994 - 1995) Reply with quote

I liked the first movie, so I'd probably enjoy this series. Here's the Wikipedia info.

RoboCop: The Series is a 1994 Canadian television series based on the RoboCop film series. It stars Richard Eden as the title character. Made to appeal primarily to children and young teenagers, it lacks the graphic violence that was the hallmark of RoboCop (1987) and its sequel RoboCop 2 (1990).

The series takes place between the original film and RoboCop 2. The RoboCop character has several non-lethal alternatives to killing criminals, which ensures that certain villains can be recurring. The OCP Chairman and his corporation are treated as simply na??ve and ignorant, in contrast to their malicious and immoral behavior from the second film onward.

____ Robocop The Series Ep 22 Midnight Minus One

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 11 trivia items for this movie. None of them are overly impressive . . . but then neither was the series. Rolling Eyes

~ The opening credits contains clips from original film "RoboCop (1987)," such as: Murphy is rushed into the operating room, Robocop busts down the front door to the cocaine factory, and (before RoboCop first comes on-line in front of the OCP executives) the static across his system's readout screen.

Note from me: Well, we can't blame the series for this. It's a standard practice in Hollywood.

~ The series films in Canada for around $1.25 million per episode.

Note from me: When the original Battlestar: Galactica aired, its million-dollar-per-episode was a reall "deal klller" too. Sad

~ The series takes place 4-5 years after the original RoboCop film. It ignores the two sequels.

Note from me: The two sequels aren't hard to ignore. Hard to remember, yes . . . but not hard to ignore. Sad

~ The series got canceled after just one season because of few viewers and generally bad reviews.

Note from me: Admittedly this happens to good series as well as bad ones. The fickle public is infamous for shooting down good shows just from pure apathy. Sad

~ Michael Miner and Ed Neumeier scripted an unused "RoboCop" sequel, "Orion" went in a different direction, but elements of this unused sequel appear in the pilot for the television series.

The production company was not aware the RoboCop writing duo had the right of first refusal to write a RoboCop television pilot. When they read about the announced series, they contacted the producers and they had a meeting of minds.

Note from me: Oh my, I'd love to be a fly on the wall during THAT meeting. Wink

~ The episode "Prime Suspect" plays out like a remake of "The Fugitive" movie, with Robocop in the role of Kimble. Even going so far as to replicate the Kimble/Gerard face off in the sewers down to the dialogue. This episode was also based on the "Prime Suspect" Dark Horse comic.

Note from me: Okay, being "inspired" by a scene from a great movie is one thing — but if the "inspired by" version is too close to original, the creators are guilty of lazy writing!

~ Ten series scripts were ready for production when principal photography ended on the pilot.

Note from me: I want to just weep for the writers who poured the hearts and souls into those unmade stories! Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: