ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Supergirl (CBS 2015 / CW 2016)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought regarding the Daxam invasion of earth on SG.

Earlier in the season we saw the wonderful crossover of the CW superhero shows as they battled the alien invading Dominators.

So why didn't Kara recruit some of those supes to help her on her earth battle the alien invading Daxams?
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no doubt that if Earth is threatened, every superhero on the planet should join in to defend it!

But I wonder if maybe the network wanted to make a "big" episode (aka: expensive) without having it become too expensive by including the big names from the other series.

Then again, they're all under contract anyway, so would it actually cost the network more money to include them? I don't really know how that works.

What do you think? Confused

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trailer preview on Youtube :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZpJeuXo2CY

From TV Guide :

Despite expectations to the contrary, the CW's new superhero show Black Lightning will not be a part of the Arrowverse.

During a conference call with reporters ahead of the network's upfront presentation on Thursday, CW chief Mark Pedowitz revealed that the new drama, which stars Cress Williams as the masked hero, isn't connected to Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl or Legends of Tomorrow.

Therefore, fans shouldn't expect any epic, five-way crossover between all of the superhero shows.

"We do not aim to do a five-way crossover," Pedowitz said. "Black Lightning, at this time, is not part of the Arrowverse. It is a separate situation. But there will be a big fourth quarter crossover with all four of the shows that are on in the fall."

Black Lightning is the only one of the five superhero shows to debut midseason and the only one to film in Atlanta, as opposed to Vancouver.

That means logistically, there would have been issues setting up a five-way crossover even if the new series was envisioned as a part of the Arrowverse. However, Pedowitz's use of the phrase "at this time" does leave things open for the network to incorporate Black Lightning into the Arrowverse at a later date.

Of course, the question would still remain regarding which Earth Black Lightning belongs to, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

In addition to revealing that Black Lightning will exist in its own universe, the CW also released an extended logline for the drama:

"Jefferson Pierce (Cress Williams) is a man wrestling with a secret. As the father of two daughters and principal of a charter high school that also serves as a safe haven for young people in a New Orleans neighborhood overrun by gang violence, he is a hero to his community. Nine years ago, Pierce was a hero of a different sort.

Gifted with the superhuman power to harness and control electricity, he used those powers to keep his hometown streets safe as the masked vigilante Black Lightning. However, after too many nights with his life on the line, and seeing the effects of the damage and loss that his alter ego was inflicting on his family, he left his Super Hero days behind and settled into being a principal and a dad.

Choosing to help his city without using his superpowers, he watched his daughters Anissa (Nafessa Williams) and Jennifer (China Anne McClain) grow into strong young women, even though his marriage to their mother, Lynn (Christine Adams), suffered.

Almost a decade later, Pierce's crime-fighting days are long behind him...or so he thought. But with crime and corruption spreading like wildfire, and those he cares about in the crosshairs of the menacing local gang The One Hundred, Black Lightning returns -- to save not only his family, but also the soul of his community."

Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow will premiere on the CW this fall. Black Lightning will debut midseason.

(Full disclosure: TVGuide.com is owned by CBS, one of the CW's parent companies.

http://www.tvguide.com/amp/news/black-lightning-cw-arrowverse/
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord, I'd love it if you left this post right here AND started a new thread for Black Lightning, either by pasting this article to it or by offering any thoughts you have for it, with maybe some excerpts from the article, too.

It's your call, sir! Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue May 23, 2017 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*SPOILERS* Supergirl Season Finale.

How the hell was Kara able to defeat Clark?

How come Mon-El has never been Kara's equal regarding his superpowers compared to hers, but Rhea is somehow equal?

Who, or what, was that in the space ship that was launched from Krypton at the same time as Kal-El & Kara?

How long has Cat Grant known Kara is SG?

Wonder where Mon-El was heading through that wormhole?

My critiques aside, this season finale episode was fun & entertaining.

Visually it was amazing what they can create on a television budget & tight shooting schedule.

Those Daxam star ships were superb looking.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow, some of your questions can be answered if the storyline going forward has some relation to the comics lore tradition of those characters.

In the original comics Mon-El suffered from lead poisoning and to save his life he was put into the Phantom Zone, only to later be saved from it in the future by the Legion of Superheroes in the future where he became a member.

The wormhole he went into may be taking him to the future (Or, perhaps another Earth where the LoSH holds sway.

Supergirl was later brought to the future in a series of adventures (Her memory of them was always erased upon her return to her present time.) Whether this will be a story line in the TV series remains to be seen.

How was Supergirl able to beat Superman? He was under the power of silver Kryptonite at the time so he may have been weakened physically to a degree as well.

Rhea and Supergirl so evenly matched? Possibly Rhea's Kryptopnite blood made Supergirl just a bit weaker during their battle so it looked like a more evenly matched fight.

Cat once suspected Kara was Supergirl in season one, but Kara tried to convince her she was mistaken. Obviously she only pretended to be fooled and kept it to herself.

That flashback of another ship from Krypton could be a number of possibilities from Doomsday to Bizzarro. We'll just have to wait and see!
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord, I do realize that Mon-El, after years spent in the Phantom Zone, ended up in the 30th century as a member of the Legion of Super-Heroes.

As we know, when comic book heroes are adapted to both film & television many liberties can be taken that will make the live adaptation different from the comic books.

I did consider that Mon-El was going to the future but we really don't know what direction the writers will take his character.

After all, Kara & Mon-El never did have a romance within the comics; it was Kara & Brainiac-5.

According to Superman in last night's episode he was at full power & the Silver Kryptonite did not in fact weaken him in any way.

Kara landed the final punch & he went down.

Cat Grant: "I've never seen Star Wars." Lol.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
According to Superman in last night's episode he was at full power & the Silver Kryptonite did not in fact weaken him in any way.

Kara landed the final punch & he went down.

How long has Cat Grant known Kara is SG?
Lol.

Cat demonstrated earlier in the show that she was good at seeing through disguises — she recognized Jimmy just by seeing his eyes through the Guardian helmet. So, figuring out that Kara was Supergirl, despite those amazing appearance-altering glasses, was not difficult. Rolling Eyes

That said, it wouldn't be suprising to learn that Cat knows Clark is Superman, too.

As for the big fight, Superman said in several scenes that Supergirl was stronger than him — he even said she was stronger than he'd ever be!

Supergirl has turned into a somewhat feminist series in several ways! Shocked

By the way, did anybody catch Cat's funniest line?

"If I can survive dinner with that lech Bill O'Reilly, I can survive anything!"
Laughing

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't recall that Clark ever stated that Kara was stronger than he was. Be that as it may, it just ain't right in my book.

I realize that its her show & I am a fan, but just no way should Supergirl be more powerful than Superman...on any earth.

This was as disappointing as watching Kato & Robin come to a standoff on the Batman tv series.

Kato would have cleaned Robin's clock! And Batman!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Superman's statement that Supergirl is stronger him (after she kicked his ass . . . ) is wacky too, but he did say it, I'm afraid.

Go to the 5:45 mark in the video beiow and you'll hear the line Superman says about Supergirl being stronger than him! Shocked

____________________ Supergirl 2x22 Finale

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I know he said it, Bud, but it just seems so wrong. Evil or Very Mad
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Oh I know he said it, Bud, but it just seems so wrong. Evil or Very Mad

Sorry. And you're right. It makes no sense.

One Youtube video reviewer said that the full quote suggested that the "strength" Superman was referring to was the emotional strength to sacrifice Mon-el. Superman even said he couldn't have done if Lois Lane's life were on the line.

However, I'm sure you'd agree with me that this statement is JUST as wrong! Superman would never put the lives of others at risk to save someone close to him.

On a related note, we see that flashback about a third pod being launchned from Krypton, and one of the onlookers said, "We will reign!"

I found this on Quora when I Googled the question, "Is Supergirl stronger than Superman?"

Here's what I found out.

~ Reign, the leader of the Worldkillers, is a genetically-engineered metapowered lifeform created by Kryptonian super-science.

~ Reign's interest in Supergirl was due to her watching Supergirl from afar and gaining the mistaken impression that Supergirl was stronger than Superman because she fought him and appeared to be winning the conflicts.

~ In actuality, Superman was exercising restraint to avoid harming her or causing collateral damage which might harm or kill someone. When two Kryptonians battle, it is the surrounding people and property which suffers most.

~ Reign was secretly wanting to recruit Supergirl and thought if her collection of Worldkillers could subdue/recruit her, they would be able to discover more about the processes that created them and potentially discover their homes of origin.

~ The Worldkillers proved far more formidable than Supergirl could handle. Only by turning the powers of one of the Worldkillers on another was Supergirl able to force the leader Reign to retreat. Reign leaves the battle with a parting threat of the fifth as yet unseen and believed to be most powerful Worldkiller still out there, possibly looking for revenge against Kryptonians.

~ The Space Children (1958)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That certainly makes sense. Looks like the "Big Bad" for season 3 will be the Worldkillers.

That could also lead into the season 3 crossover story promised. The original INVASION story had the Dominators teamed up with Daxamites (Rhea's group) , Durlans (The Linda Carter portrayed US President's race) as well as other alien groups. That would be a great starting point to bring in the other Arrowverse characters.

We just gotta wait and see!
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recollection is that Mon-El was given that name on Earth, with the El part because he seemed a bit like a family member for Kal-El, and the Mon because, er, he arrived on a Monday.

Seeding Earth's atmosphere with tiny particles of lead may have driven off the Daxamites, but I doubt if it does the local residents any favours... Surprised
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have gone in a different direction for the flashback to Krypton.

Scene: Enormous complex where we see a vast Kryptonian AI & several scientists talking to the AI.

"Krypton is beyond saving. We are sorry that your AI allows you to not only comprehend but to 'feel' the end of your existence along with us."

AI: "My fate will be different from yours . . . goodbye."

We then see the AI unfold & morph into a large & fantastic looking star ship. It lifts out of the complex after blasting a hole in the roof & continues into outer space.

AI: "Krypton dies, Brainiac lives."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15

Jump to: