ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magic Highway USA - Disneyland episode (1958)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent Gair wrote:
Writer/commentator Mark Steyn likes to say that we have invented virtually nothing new in the last 50 years so we spend time reinventing ourselves to bad effect.

He points out, quite correctly, that our cars, skyscrapers and airplanes are not significantly different than they were 50 years ago. You could a order a Boeing 737 in 1965 and you can order a Boeing 737 today (yeah, more advanced but after 50 years we should be doing better). You can buy a Chevy with a small block V8, just like you could in 1955 (again, more advanced but still a gas burning small block V8 )

I can think of one quantum leap exception to Mark Steyn's theory: Since the invention of TV back in the 1940's, people have dreamed of and predicted a TV that could be hung on the wall like a picture. It finally became a reality a relatively few years ago. And right along with Flat Screens came picturephones and portable computers (laptops, tablets, and phones). 3D screens are here, too. So much for the long-lived cathode ray tube.

And for that matter, solid state technology (transistors and integrated circuits) has virtually killed off almost all other vacuum tube technology. A PC, or even a lowly CD player for that matter, simply cannot be built with tubes unless you have LOTS and LOTS of money and LOTS and LOTS of space).
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also found Disney's lack of serious sci-fi movies in his lifetime strange given his known fascination with the future & technology.

He produced the magnificent 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, which was a big hit for the studio.

And yet, he never truly returned to the genre, at least in a dramatic manner. He did do the lighthearted s-f comedies in the flubber films. But nothing of substance with sci-fi material.

Always wondered why?
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocky Jones wrote:
Yesterday I dug though the list of Disney TV eps and found those you mentioned and a couple more that might qualify. They did a couple of "Man in Flight" episodes about the history air travel. In '62 there was an episode called "Spy in the Sky" that I believe was along a similar vein.

"Eyes in Outer Space", and the other "science fact" Disney Programs, are all available on Youtube. They make them available for schools to use with the kids. Very Happy

__________________ Eyes in Outer Space 1959

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alltare wrote:
Brent Gair wrote:
Writer/commentator Mark Steyn likes to say that we have invented virtually nothing new in the last 50 years so we spend time reinventing ourselves to bad effect.

I can think of one quantum leap exception to Mark Steyn's theory: Since the invention of TV back in the 1940's, people have dreamed of and predicted a TV that could be hung on the wall like a picture. It finally became a reality a relatively few years ago. And right along with Flat Screens came picturephones and portable computers (laptops, tablets, and phones).

I agree, Steve! Very Happy

Mark Steyn's assertion that "we have invented nothing new in the last 50 years" seems to assume that technological achievements need to be big and flashy to warrant any merit.

Not true.

Buildings and airplanes have, in fact, changed dramatically, but the small items like smart phones, GPS systems, HD televisions, and computers are things we all use every day, and they've changed our lives dramatically. They've revolutionized our communications, creativity, entertainment, and work environments.

I can't remember the last time I was in a skyscraper or on and airplane — but I'm on my laptop all day long while watching great movies and shows on my television. The important inventions of the 21st Century have been small, useful, and a true delight.

I'm not saying there aren't plenty of new advancements in the areas Mark Steyn mentions which should (and will) be made, but to say "we have invented nothing new in the last 50 years" is a gross misstatement.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy this fine Disneyland episode in it's entirety. The stuff about the future is at the very end, in case you want skip right to it.

________________Magic Highway, U S A 1958

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: