ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Trek's 10 Best Costumes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Star Trek's 10 Best Costumes Reply with quote

Star Trek's 10 Best Costumes(?!)
By Jordan Hoffman, StarTrek.com

Much of the fun of Star Trek conventions comes from wandering around and seeing everyone in costumes. It's great to see so many folks in Federation uniforms, but I always delight in some of the more esoteric sartorial choices. Last summer in Las Vegas I saw a guy dressed as Kryton the Elasian security chief from "Elaan of Troyius" and nearly lost my mind.

There are literally hundreds of strange and silly costumes from the Star Trek Universe. I don't know if I could ever pick the best. Heck, I don't know if I could pick the best out of Deanna Troi's closet. Do I go with the classic, form-fitting purple number, or her ankle-length bust-enhancing turquoise dress? (Oh why oh why would I ever want to choose? Isn't Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations worth anything anymore?!) All I can say is that what follows are ten costumes that tickle me. Let's take a look back, have a laugh and then you can tell me all the ones I should have picked instead.

10) Ambassador T'Pel
What seems at first to be just a small part of "Data's Day" turns out to have the most interplanetary intrigue.
Check out what this less-than-warm-and-fuzzy Vulcan is wearing. A blue felt cone hat with a leather band and an upside-down triangle patch with an emblem . . .and that's just the beginning. There's all sorts of elaborate chin straps and material wrapped around and dangling from her neck, plus a necklace that looks, at first glance, like Darth Vader's chestplate. Is this degree of adornment logical? Absolutely not. Which is why it comes as no surprise at the end that T'Pel is actually a Romulan spy!

9) Enterprise Security from TMP-era.
This is a long way from a simple red shirt.
It wasn't just the Enterprise that was refit for Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Most noticeable were the uniforms, doing away with the bright primary colors and going for more hushed earth tones. Then there were those odd buckles at the center of the one-piece jumpsuits or at the bottom of tunics. (If you dig deep you'll read that they were medical scanner/receivers called perscans.) Anyway, all of this pales compared to what the security teams were wearing at the time. The maroon rugby helmets with Starfleet insignias right at the center plus heavy leather vests with plastic casing are unlike anything else ever worn by crew-members of the Enterprise. .....

7) EV Suits from "The Tholian Web"
It was a mandate from NBC, then owned by RCA, who were trying to push new color sets: keep Star Trek bright! So even in the inky blackness of space (or caught in an inter-dimensional phase) it was important to have splashes of blue and red.
Then there's the headpiece. Not sure if they're drying laundry or beaming to a planet of beekeepers. All I know is that as a kid I thought this was the COOLEST thing I'd ever seen. (Okay, obviously I still think it's pretty cool.)....

5) Anbo-Jyutsu Uniforms
The family that plays vaguely Japanese violent sports together stays together!
Will Riker and his father Kyle work out their differences by bowing at one another, then beating each other up with sticks. The costumes might resemble what Bob and Doug McKenzie wear in Strange Brew, but that only adds to the charm. While Parrises Squares was a more popular game, those uniforms (bright blue spandex?) didn't have half the swagger that the Anbo-Jyutsu ones had. ......

3) Environmental Suit from "The Naked Time"
If these suits didn't have detachable gloves, how many headaches would that have saved?
There aren't too many moments when Star Trek's sets and costumes get so cheesy that you laugh out loud. This show ain't Lost in Space. But even I, a fan to my last breath, has to admit that this looks flat-out ridiculous. And that's why I love it! Legend goes that the reason it looks so much like a shower curtain — is that it IS a shower curtain! Nice that the tops are flat, probably adds a little ventilation around the scalp.

1) Picard's Dress Uniform
Season One of TNG, you were doing so many things. You dove headfirst into the plasma pool of Utopianism is ways that broadened the Original Series. For starters, it was "where no one has gone before". This egalitarianism of the sexes was quite noticeable in the somewhat notorious "skant", a half skirt, half jumpsuit that some women and, yes, some men chose to wear on the Enterprise. We never saw any bridge officers rockin' the full skant, but we did see Picard (and Riker) in this somewhat feminizing dress uniform. I mean, I guess it's a bit like a kilt, but it's also kinda like a dress. Not that it doesn't look nice! In fact, it always bugged me that we didn't see it more. I like the decorative element from pips to the neckline, especially.
Now, before you start screaming at me in the comments or on Facebook, keep in mind there were about fifteen ties for 11th place. But sometimes you have to make decisions. That's how we defeated the Dominion! (Oh, crap, there's absolutely nothing here from DS9, is there?) Anyway, now's your chance to sound off.

BDT: Yes, I left out a few.

And here is one I like:

LINK:
http://startrek.com/article/star-treks-10-best-costumes
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ambassador T'Pel's hat was scrounged from Western Costume — http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Costume — and appears to be modified from one of the priest hats in The Mole People (1956). It's made out of leather and stiffened cotton.

(See The Mole People (1956) thread for pictures.)

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Star Trek's 10 Best Costumes(?!) Reply with quote

No list of the best Star Trek costumes would be complete without Leslie Parrish's gravity-defying Grecian outfit in "Who Mourns for Adonais?"

Supposedly the top was held in place only by the weight of the long, heavy cape over Leslie's shoulder. I think it's more than likely some double-sided sticky tape was involved as well.

bulldogtrekker wrote:

3) Environmental Suit from "The Naked Time"
If these suits didn't have detachable gloves, how many headaches would that have saved?

Not only are the gloves not attached to the sleeves but the headpiece is completely open at the bottom. I always figured those suits were just to provide heat, not to protect against environmental hazards.

For sheer over-the-top cheesiness, it's pretty hard to beat the Elasian guards' uniforms from the TOS Season 3 episode "Elaan of Troiyus." I suppose the outfits were meant to look like vaguely "oriental" ceremonial armor, but they look more like plastic placemats -- because they were made from plastic placemats!

Krel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Star Trek's 10 Best Costumes(?!) Reply with quote

bulldogtrekker wrote:

7) EV Suits from "The Tholian Web"
It was a mandate from NBC, then owned by RCA, who were trying to push new color sets: keep Star Trek bright! So even in the inky blackness of space (or caught in an inter-dimensional phase) it was important to have splashes of blue and red.
Then there's the headpiece. Not sure if they're drying laundry or beaming to a planet of beekeepers. All I know is that as a kid I thought this was the COOLEST thing I'd ever seen. (Okay, obviously I still think it's pretty cool.)....

You have to admit, there was no problem getting air to the actors with that helmet. I loved, and still do love those suit designs. As a kid I had never seen anything like them. The closest was Bruce Dern's spacesuit in "Silent Running" which used a safety visor as part of the helmet. The ST suits are still a pretty unique design.

NBC was big into to color in every tv show. Many people remember the colored lights on the walls in TMFU show, but they also did it on "Dragnet". They would also finish furniture to have more color.

Back in the early/mid 70s, I read an interview with William Ware Theiss, where they asked him where he found all the unusual fabrics for the show. He said that if you want an usual fabric, then look at the backside of fabrics. He also said that the spacesuits busted the costume budget for the season!

David.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Elan of Troyus costumes are wretched.

Like something you would see on one of Irwin Allen's TV shows.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Those Elan of Troyus costumes are wretched.

Like something you would see on one of Irwin Allen's TV shows.

Oh brother, you said it! I saw this one a few months back, and the sparkly outfits with those wide stiff shoulders just couldn't be taken seriously. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:

Oh brother, you said it! I saw this one a few months back, and the sparkly outfits with those wide stiff shoulders just couldn't be taken seriously. Very Happy

"Why, what ever do you mean? We think they look just fabulous!"
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weirdest and Sexiest Costumes from the Original Star Trek

Star Trek has broadened our visions of the future in so many ways — but most of all, the original Star Trek took us to the final frontier of fashion. And beyond. Some of the costumes that people sported in William Shatner's day remain classics today — and some of them are just... I don't even know.
Here's our roundup of the weirdest and trashiest fashions of the original Star Trek. We're not picking on terrible alien makeup so much, because that's a matter of cheap special effects. Rather, this is the bikinis, the uniforms, and Kirk's strange workout gear......

"For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky" — she's the High Priestess of the Argyle Planet!

Link for full story: http://io9.gizmodo.com/5969957/weirdest-and-sexiest-costumes-from-the-original-star-trek/
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wardrobe I liked from ST:TOS First season.

(1.) The gray field jackets from "The Cage."

(2.)Female tunics from "The Cage."

(3.) Outfits worn by the lovely ladies from "Mudd's Women."

(4.) Kirk's green tunic from "Charlie X." Sorry, Bud

(5.) Charlie Evan's jacket when he first boards the Enterprise, and the tunic he wears later on.

(6.) Yeoman Janet Rand's nightgown from "Charlie X."

(7.) Romulan uniforms : "Balance of Terror."

(8.) Sherry Jackson's outfit : "What Are Little Girls Made Of?''

(9.) Barbara Anderson's many outfits : "The Conscience of the King."

(10.) Dress uniforms : "Court Martial."

(11.) Ladies feathery outfits & Finnegan's Star Fleet Academy tunic : "Shore Leave."

(12.) Dress that Trelayne conjures up for a yeoman (Venita Wolf) : "The Squire of Gothos."

(13.) Robes of the Lawgivers : "The Return of the Archons."

(14.) Formal jacket Khan wore : "Space Seed."

(15.) Ambassador Fox's jacket : "A Taste of Armageddon."
Krel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People theorize that the reason they never reused the field jackets is because they were not made of fabric, but some kind of foam and were not very durable. They also appeared to be stiff and that may have caused some problems.

David.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David, I was not aware of the field jackets not being made of sturdier material.

If they had been very durable I'd have matched the color code of the ship's officers tunics to the field jacket
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great choices all, Pow!

There were very few real functional costumes to be seen . . . but . . . oh how colorful and sexy!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: