ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Terror is a Man (1959)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Terror is a Man (1959) Reply with quote

______

From time to time I become convinced there isn't a single fifties Sci-Fi left I haven't seen — and yet from time to time I'll find one I've never heard of before.

I found this one on YouTube while looking for a trailer for another movie. The poster above comes from a site with a nice review, and the excerpt below from that site makes the movie sound interesting.

UPDATE 2/26/2020 - The website mentioned above has gone off-line.

Terror is a Man is a down-scaled version of H.G. Wells' The Island of Dr. Moreau. Scaled down because Dr. Charles Girard (Francis Lederer) has only one beast he's trying to transform, not a whole population of creatures. Terror is a Man is a very good-looking and well-produced black-and-white thriller. That said, it's not a particularly thrilling thriller. Some have compared it to a Val Lewton picture, which is a reasonable enough conceit.

It stars Richard Derr, the stalwart hero from When Words Collide.

______________ Terror is a Man (1959) Trailer

_________

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:21 am; edited 11 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has the following trivia item about this movie.

A warning bell sounded before "horrific" scenes.

Well, damn! So THAt'S why I kept answering my phone while watching this movie! I thought I was the victim of a prank caller!! Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh... "...tormented by unsatisfied desire..." Ooh...

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia has a very well-written plot summary, so if you're curious about the movie (but not curious enough to watch it), here's the whole story.

Warning! This reveals everything — including the tantalizing climax which you won't be able to resist reading! Shocked

William Fitzgerald (Richard Derr), the lone survivor of a shipwreck, washes ashore on Blood Island. He is found by Dr. Charles Girard (Francis Lederer), a scientist who has set up a laboratory on the isolated island with his disenchanted wife, Frances (Greta Thyssen), and his assistant Walter Perrera (Oscar Keesee).

The island's natives fear Dr. Girard, as he has been experimenting on a panther, surgically changing it with a series of painful operations into a half-man/half-panther beast, which occasionally escapes from its cage and kills an unwary villager. The creature is swathed in bandages, but his cat-like eyes and ears are still evident. The creature is attracted to Frances, as she is the only person on the island who shows him pity.

As time passes on the island, Fitzgerald and Frances eventually fall in love, and she asks him to take her away.

The creature manages to free itself once again, but Walter sets the beast on fire and is able to recapture the scorched monster. Later, the beast escapes again and goes on a rampage, killing Walter and a young servant girl named Selene, and abducting Frances, carrying her off into the jungle.

With William and Charles in hot pursuit, the creature is eventually cornered on the edge of a cliff, where it manages to hurl the mad doctor to his death. Before the creature can turn on the others, it is shot several times by William.

Fleeing towards the beach, the wounded creature is helped by a young native boy, Tiago (Selene's little brother), and the unconscious beast drifts out to sea in a small rowboat.

See? I told you it was irresistible! Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: