ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eureka (2006 - 2012)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Eureka (2006 - 2012) Reply with quote

I loved this series from the first episode I saw. However, my fondness for it was apparently not shared by The SciFi Channel (back when it was spelled right), because they only dolled out a few episodes a year over the next six years.

Seventy-seven episodes were aired, for an average of 15 episodes a year — but actually the number of episodes per season varied between 12 and 21! Add to this the fact that we often had to wait several months between the first half and the second half of these seasons was frustrating.

Plus there was the fact that between the seasons, the producers frequently re-engineered the show in drastic ways, which was annoying to fans like me who liked it just the way it had been before the change. But the alterations were imaginative, and after getting used to the new aspects of the series, we kept on watching.

So in spite of all this, the show was enjoyable. It presented us with a unique town that was populated with geniuses in every field of science. The presence of General Dynamics, a super-hi-tech company that developed amazing inventions, meant that the town was equipped with futuristic innovations which made living there like living fifty years in the future!

Of course, the cast was excellent, with Colin Ferguson, Salli Richardson-Whitfield, Erica Cerra, Neil Grayston, Joe Morton, Jordan Hinson, and Ed Quinn creating very likable characters.

I own the box sets of the series, and occasionally I'll run through the entire series over a period of several weeks.

_____________ Eureka Series Trailer - Season 5

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Bud and I watched the entire series run over several week using Facebook as a synchro-chat. It was interesting, since I had never seen a single episode.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I wouldn't mind re-watching this entire series again!

If there are other fans out there who might enjoy this idea, please let me know and we can share them in the Chatzy room which All Sci-Fi has set up for occasions like this.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pye-Rate
Starship Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want a few of their devices, the hover lawnmower and related gardening gear.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the way this series was dragged out over several years with a small number of episodes in each season, and the fact that the producers kept tinkering with the premise every time it started a new season, the series is still fun to watch.

The wandering nature of the premise did swing back to a satisfying and optimistic conclusion of the series, but there were several loose ends it didn't bother to tie up, perhaps because the people who were responsible for the changes weren't really interested in sticking with the established story arcs in the previous seasons.

And fans of the show were glad that the last scene in the last episode kept the promise made in the very first episode when Sheriff Carter and his lovely daughter, Zoe (Jordan Hinson) are headed for Eureka and they pass a car that was going in the opposite direction . . . with a duplicate of Carter behind the wheel and Zoe in the back seat, smiling through the car window at the stunned "present day" Zoe as duplicate duo went past.

We'd have liked it even better if they'd made it part of the story and somehow explained how the doppelgangers happen to pass each other at two very different moments in time, but the fact that it was presented as just one more fun "Eureka mystery" was better than simply forget about that tantalizing scene we saw in the series pilot.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched Eureka from the get-go & stayed with it until the end.

Wonderful blend of humor...lots of humor...with sci~fi elements, drama, action-adventure. The cast was terrific & the stories compelling.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting, but I wish there was a way to place a wireless microphone close to the subject of a video being recorded from 30 feet away and have the audio transmitted to the phone.

One of these days I guess . . . Rolling Eyes

____________ Eureka Cast Reunion Panel Pt. 1

____________ Eureka Cast Reunion Panel Pt. 2

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything in the town of Eureka is high-tech, right?

Well, the "future house" that Sheriff Carter lived in might surprise you.

____ Eureka - Video Blogs - Bringing S.A.R.A.H. to Life

Captain Starlight
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a fan of this series from the beginning, but the way they kept making us wait for months before airing a new batch of episodes was frustrating. And the drastic changes in the premise from one season to the next was annoying as well. Why do shows do stuff like that? It drives fans away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: