ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Galaxy Quest (1999)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Galaxy Quest (1999) Reply with quote

I wouldn't have believed a spoof of Star Trek could be this funny and this exciting, both at the same time.

Knowing that the soap opera conflicts between the stars of the fictional series were based on the real life drama between Shatner and his costars really gives life to this wonderful combination of comedy, action, and science fiction.

Harold Ramis was slated to direct this movie but he quit. Here's what Wikipedia says.

Ramis was hired in November 1998, but departed in February 1999 due to casting difficulties. He wanted Alec Baldwin for the lead role, who turned it down. Steve Martin and Kevin Kline were considered, though Kline turned it down due to family reasons.

Ramis did not agree with the casting of Tim Allen as Jason Nesmith, and Dean Parisot took over as director within three weeks.

After seeing the film, Ramis said he was ultimately impressed with Allen's performance.

The aliens were created by the Stan Winston Studio from designs by Crash McCreery, Chris Swift, Brom, Bernie Wrightson, and Simon Bisley.

Wrightson is the amazing artist famous for a series of Swamp Thing comics and many other fine works.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:16 pm; edited 6 times in total
Krel

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember one review of the movie when it came out. "The best Star Trek movie ever done!".

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great movie deserves a great trailer — and this movie has one!

Enjoy this YouTube trailer, and then pop in your Blu-ray of this wonderful movie. Very Happy

What? You don't own this movie? Shocked

Shame on you! Go to your room right now think about what you've done! And just wait 'til your father gets home and I tell him about this! You'll be grounded for a month! Mad

___________________ Galaxy Quest - Trailer

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, Bud, THIS is an homage!

Tim Allen said in interviews that he was a definite fan of STAR TREK and this was his way of saying it. This movie was genuinely funny and exciting at the same time.

I agree with the comment that it's the BEST STAR TREK movie ever made!!
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Stan Winston School has a great page about "Galaxy Quest: Making Thermians and Other Creatures and Effects" - Simon Bisley is mentioned as one concept artist, and here's someone working from a concept sketch by Berni Wrightson:

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually met Bernie Wrightson back in 1967 at the 25th World Science Fiction Convention in New York (at the tender age of 19) when he walked up to Frank Frazetta at a small commemorative luncheon which honored Hal Foster ("Prince Valiant").

After the luncheon, Frazetta started signing autographs for the small group of lucky fans who managed to worm their way into this modest occasion.

Bernie Wrightson suddenly stepped up to the table and handed Frazetta several examples of his work, including the pen-and-ink drawing shown further down of Victor Frankenstein (the head shot). Bernie asked Frazetta what he thought of them.

Bernie was born on October 27, 1948, which makes him two months younger than I am. So like me, he was just 19 when he stood there in front of Frank Frazetta signing autographs after the small commemorative luncheon for Hal Foster that my friends and I had managed to get into. And I stood right next to Frazetta when Bernie presented examples of his artwork.

Bernie dazzled everybody with his bold attitude and his James Dean appearance. Bernie stood there like a gun fighter about to shoot it out on the streets of Dodge City. He had long hair like in the photo below, wearing blue jeans, high-top sneakers., and a dress shirt that was untucked with the sleeves rolled up.

He looked like the leader of New York street gang, ready to rumble.

It's no wonder that the macho Frank Frazetta spotted a kindred spirit standing right in front on him.

I vividly remember several of Bernie's pieces that Frank looked at carefully while I stood next him, and they were awesome! One drawing showed a group of cavemen with a woolly mammoth trapped in a box canyon, while one cavemen posed in the foreground on a rocky ledge, gazing down while his hunters polished off the beast!

Frazetta actually turned to me at one point (the pimple-faced kid from Atlanta) and commented on the faint pencil-lines visible around the inked lines in the head shot of Bernie's Victor Frankenstein!

One of my three friends who had come with me from Atlanta (Don Karr) struck up a conversation with Bernie right after that, and they became friends for several years.

Prior to that, Don had been a friend of Jeff Jones back when Jeff lived in Atlanta. Jeff was one of the two guests of honor at Alan Foster's commemorative luncheon, along with Frazetta. That's probably how my friends and I managed to get into the commemorative luncheon, but I don't really remember.

Later that same evening Bernie knocked on the door of the hotel room occupied by me and my three friends from Atlanta. He wandered in with a big smile and told us he had spent several hours in private conversation with Frank Frazetta in his own hotel room (where Frank's wife and kids were also staying). Frank gave him helpful advice on how to advance his career as an artist.

Bernie was so excited about his sudden fame and recognition that he agreed to sell us some of his work . . . and I got the two pen-and-ink drawings below for $5.00 each! Shocked

He signed them both with a ball point pen.

Until today I had no idea that Bernie Wrightson had ever worked in graphite (pencil — my own medium of choice). I read somewhere that Wrightson tried oil painting a few times, but he said he hated it because, " . . . it's like painting with mud!"

However, the sketches he did for several aliens in Galaxy Quest are graphite drawings, and without undue modesty I think my own efforts to concoct alien creatures using graphite aren't too bad by comparison! Very Happy

Like this one by me —

— and this one by Bernie.

My point, of course, is that I was obviously inspired by my exposure to the work of Bernie Wrightson when he was my age and Frank Frazetta in his prime. And even though I've never been a professional artist like either of those two legendary masters, I'm glad I can share my own humble efforts with you folks here on All Sci-Fi.

The rest of these alien designs by Wrightson are stunning, demonstrating his amazing ability to render details which add a lot to his great designs.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galaxy Quest (1999)
Commander Taggert: Never give up! Never surrender!

300 (2006)
King Leonidas: Spartans never retreat! Spartans never surrender!

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand . . .

Oliver Goldsmith:

For he who fights and runs away
May live to fight another day;
But he who is in battle slain
Can never rise and fight again.

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or :

"KILL EM' ALL! LET GOD SORT EM' OUT!"

or:

"WHO DIES FIRST?"

or: In the words of John Carter, Warlord of Mars

"I STILL LIVE!"

or: Tarzan

"BUNDOLLO!"
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's this going? Confused

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:

You tell us! You started it! Shocked
Krel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
On the other hand . . .

For he who fights and runs away
May live to fight another day

I thought it was Baron Von Stuppe who said that, just before diving though a rowboat.

David.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
orzel-w wrote:

You tell us! You started it! Shocked

At least I started out with a tie-in to the thread topic.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and you know what a stickler I am about THAT! Laughing

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jason Nesmith: All right, let's settle down. If we're going to get through this we're going to need self control.

Gwen DeMarco: Self control? That's funny coming from the guy that slept with every Terrakian slave girl and Moon Princess on the show.

Back on topic, guys - sheesh, this is a "Featured Reply" thread and all! Surprised

Has anyone in relatively modern times ever come close to being in so many top-grade sf and fantasy films as Sigourney Weaver...?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: