ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Space: 1999 (1975 - 1977)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Space: 1999 (1975 - 1977) Reply with quote

. . . . . . .

WHAT?? No Space: 1999 thread? I would think that unthinkable.

The only reason I discovered this omission is because of a posting on another website. Here's the image of Maya posted there:

I just had to perform an alteration... Gangsta pose:

WayneO
-----------
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back then, a base on the moon by 1999 seemed rather likely. Ah well, here's Maya with guest star Brian Blessed, who probably had dropped by to inform them that "Gordon's alive!"

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to start a thread for this series a few weeks back, but I figured I'd refresh my memory first by watching a download of the pilot episode.

Frankly, I couldn't even get through it! Shocked

Watching it reminded me why this series had so little appeal for me back in the 1970s. The idea that the Moon's nuclear waste dump on the far side could blow up and send the Moon sailing out across space like a big ugly starship that was plum outta gas and just drifting aimlessly . . . simply doesn't work.

Here's just two of the problems that occurred to me back in 1975.

~ If the explosion was THAT powerful, wouldn't it have shattered the Moon?

~ If the explosion was on the far side, wouldn't it have pushed the Moon into a lower orbit that would eventually spiral into the Earth?

But don't take my word for it. On a site called Sci-Fi Science Blunders Hall of Infamy there are several damning comments that completely sink the premise of this unfortunate attempt at "science fiction". For example, read the comment below about the Moon being presented as an interstellar vehicle that somehow visited other star systems on a weekly basis.

This one seems to generate the most comments from people. Every week, the renegade Moon of Space: 1999 visited a new star system. At the very least, only a couple months pass between star systems. The only possible way this could happen is if the Moon was traveling a huge portion of the speed of light and relativistic time dilation was kicking in, or the Moon conveniently fell into wormholes big enough to swallow a moon.

You begin to see the problem here?

But even if the Moon was traveling at a high percentage of "c" (light speed), how do the Eagles accelerate and decelerate enough to actually visit the worlds of these star systems? And if they can accelerate that fast, why didn't they just hop onto their Eagles and scoot back to Earth?

In short, Space: 1999 makes no effort at all to use science as a springboard for its fiction, so I just can't enjoy it. Sad

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Moon-as-starship was my chief objection as well. Nowadays I'm mystified by the great attraction the Eagles seem to have for an apparent generation of fans. I figure it was due to a critical stage of hormone levels.

WayneO
-----------
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Bud, the science is woefully lacking in Space: 1999.

The scripts weren't much better.

Unlike the Irwin Allen sci-fi TV shows where there was almost no attempt to do decent scripting, Space:1999 tried to create profound stories.

However, they just never seemed to come together & work out well.

I will say that the show's production values were superb at the time it first debuted, as well as all these years later.
It was reputed to have one of the most lavish budgets for that time. I believe it!

The sets for Moon Base Alpha looked movie quality. Like a Bond film.

The Eagles were one of the most fantastic looking spacecraft created.The capability of being able to change modules was clever & practical.The laser tanks that were seldom used were sharp.

Most of the alien spacecraft also were wonderful.

The outer space scenes of planets & nebula were breathtaking.

The props: Comlock & Stun Gun were also quite well designed.

I felt that the show looked like a million dollars but the scripts never matched the look of the series.

All sizzle & no steak.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space:1999 Trivia.

In 1972,Gerry & Sylvia Anderson were preparing to produce a second season(called a second series in Britain)of their UFO TV show. Uber producer Lord Lew Grade wanted a new sci-fi series instead.And the premise must take place somewhere other than earth.

The Andersons conceived a sequel to their UFO television series. UFO 2 & UFO:1999 were potential titles for the show.

However,as writers began working on the show it evolved into Space: 1999.

Brian Johnson would be the special effects director. Brian had worked on Stanley Kubrick's 2001:A Space Odyssey,The Empire Strikes Back,Dragonslayer.

Later on he'd become an Academy Award winner.

Rudi Gernreich,world renowned clothing designer(the topless dress)was hired to create the uniforms for the crew of Moon Base Alpha.

Other potential titles for the series were: Menace In Space,Space Probe,Space Intruders,The Space Ark,Journey Into Space,Space Journey:1999.

Space:1999 was one of the most expensive shows produced at that time. Each episode cost $275,000,with the total season costing $6,500,000.

All 3 major American TV networks turned down the show.

Production commenced on November 11,1973.
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
. . . Nowadays I'm mystified by the great attraction the Eagles seem to have for an apparent generation of fans. I figure it was due to a critical stage of hormone levels.

The Eagle was a well-thought-out, practical design for a multi-role space taxi with its interchangeable mission pods. The believability factor was compromised, however, when Eagles were shown entering and flying through planet atmospheres, which they obviously weren't designed to do.
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is a good reason there was no thread for Space 1999. Bud hated, hated, hated Space 1999. We watched it together through Facebook and he would not finish it. I was hoping we could get through both seasons. I had to type the phrase Star Trek inspired to keep him from turning it off.

Yes, the Eagles were interesting. The series has not aged well.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been watching some episodes on Youtube & I think from a production standpoint that the series has aged magnificently.

The sets for Moon Base Alpha look like they're from a major motion picture.The Commlock & Stun Gun a very fine looking props in design. Many of the models of alien vessels are fantastic looking. The Daria Space Ark is stunning!

What never worked for me were the scripts.

Exploring Space:1999, An Episode Guide & Complete History by John Kenneth Muir is an excellent book examining the history of the show.
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behind the Scenes Photos from Space 1999

The Eagle Transporter from Space: 1999 (1975-1977)

Filming a scene in the Moonbase corridors during the second season of Space: 1999 (1975-1977)

A man from the special effects team on the miniature set representing planet Psychon's starship junkyard, from the Space: 1999 Season 2 premiere episode, "The Metamorph".

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More Space: 1999 Trivia }

The series was not embraced by the British film/television industry as it was looked at as more an American/Italian production due to financing.

For the second season of the show, American producer Fred Freiberger (The Wild Wild West,ST:TOS) was brought on board.

The second season saw its budget drastically reduced. Lord Lew Grade was producing a film adaptation of the novel Raise The Titanic.''He was spending a fortune on it & allocated money from Space:1999's budget in order to complete the film.

RTT bombed at the box office unfortunately.

Gerry & Sylvia Anderson were going through a divorce during the second season of the show.

There was some trepidation about the casting of American actors for the series.

They have a reputation for being about themselves first & foremost. British cast & crew generally feel that any production, be it stage, film or TV, should be about the script with everyone working together for the common good.
Americans do not have that philosophy in the view of the British. Americans are considered much more self serving.

Last edited by Pow on Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The budget cuts forced the production into smaller soundstages. Because the Moonbase sets were now shoehorned into a smaller space, the sets suffered. There was no room for the large Main Mission set, which also meant that there could be no large nuclear power plant set, which was a redress of the Main Mission set. The Eagle set also lost a section, because the set had to be made smaller to fit into the reduced space.

David.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moon Base Alpha Sets }

Interior : Command Center & Koenig's office.

Interior : Reception Area.

Interior : Travel Tube.

Interior: Corridor.

Interior : Medical Section.

Interior : Life Support.

Interior : Weapons Room.

Interior : Nuclear Generating Area/Revamps into Hydroponics Unit.

Interior : Living Quarters/Revamps into Recreation Room or Restaurant.

Interior : Eagle Cockpit. Interior : Eagle Passenger Section.

Source } The Making of Space:1999,A Gerry Anderson Production. Author,Tim Heald.
mach7
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always loved season 1 of Space:1999, season 2, well, thats a whole nuther can of worms.

A few years ago I read "Destination: Monnbase Alpha" by Robert Wood. It's a chronicle of the series. Not a bad read and it had a some eye opening information.

1st was the fact that the entire 1st season was completed on spec, for sale to a US network. Unbelievable given Networks insistence on controlling everything. Unsurprisingly all 3 networks passed. So they went with syndication.

2nd was an insight into why the scripts were usually lacking.

Most of the episode scripts were written very quickly. Unlike Star Trek, which would take months for a story to be ready for production and would include many people checking logic/voice/series continuity, Many Space 1999 episodes were conceived and written in less than a week. Some in as little as a weekend! And it showed.

But the look of the show was spectacular! The Eagle is my 2nd favorite space ship. It's really a very well designed ship, except for its lack of fuel tankerage. (shameless plug: I'm chronicling my build of the 22 inch kit in the model section). The other ships were excellent as well. The Commlock and Stungun are both very well thought out, as was Alpha itself.

Great production values, great acting, above average direction and production, poor scripts.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir, you've done a fine job of explaining to fans like myself who are not quite so fond of the series exactly why we were frustrated with it.

As you said, "Great production values, great acting, above average direction and production, poor scripts."

I tried to watch it again a few months ago after not seeing it since if first aired, and the very fact that everything looked so good and the cast performed so well made me yean for stories that equaled all the other great aspects of the series!

It was like trying to eat a steak dinner that looked delicious . . . but just didn't taste very good! Rolling Eyes

PS: After writing this post I browsed through the posts above and noted Pow's closing remark.

Pow wrote:
All sizzle & no steak.

Great minds think alike. (Especially if they're both hungry . . . ) Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: