ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3D Printed Robots Will Become Hospital and Museum Workers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larryfoster
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: 3D Printed Robots Will Become Hospital and Museum Workers Reply with quote

"3D Printed Robots Will Become Hospital and Museum Workers in Lincolnshire, UK, According to Doctor"
http://3dprint.com/47822/3d-printed-robots-hospitals/

"You would think that, given the prevalence of robots with humanoid form in popular culture — particularly in literature and film — we humans prefer that our robots resemble us. That's probably not the case, however, suggests Dr. John Murray of the University of Lincoln in Lincolnshire, UK. Dr. Murray, who specializes in robotics, has found through ongoing research that people may not actually be particularly comfortable with robots that are overtly lifelike."

My rule is... if it looks like a machine (even with a human-ish face) - then it should perform perfectly. But if it is designed to be indistinguishable from a human (an android), then it can have human faults and make mistakes — like humans do.

For doing most human jobs (ie: hospitals, museums, etc.)... I prefer the 'machine' style (like the InMoov). But continue development of the 'android' style for romantic applications. Very Happy Computer-based personality displays (now apparently called Personal Assistants), fall in between, IMO. They should appear human, but perform flawless.

Tired of waiting on NASA to adopt Flying Saucer technology! Sick of human political-representative government! I want 1970: COLOSSUS (The Forbin Project) A.I. - as World Control government! Providing flying saucer tech, "For the betterment of man."
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting ideas, Larry.

My own feelings on this subject are shaped by two personal concerns.

#1 - I love well designed machinery: cars, planes, spaceships, and -- of course -- robots. But I like my robots to be well designed machines, not surrealistic humans.

#2 - Semi, quasi, sort of, kinda people that are actually robots creep me out. They remind me too much of Talking Tina, that haunted doll in the old Twilight Zone episode. (The worst robots are those with artificial skin and hair, with imitation facial expressions.)

So, this just looks like a bad version of that miracle of nature, the human body.

And this looks like a silly caricature of a trumpet player.

But this looks like a walkin' talkin' machine with glorious lines and shapes and colors and textures.

There are, of course, exceptions. Like, I love this guy!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
larryfoster
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking Tina creeped me out too! But, I seem to have more tolerance for the 'uncanny valley' syndrome than other people. The way some people object to it, makes me wonder how they can tolerate other people with ANY difference or handicaps.

If not too extreme (like the robot dance)... I would see an android as another person - with strange mannerisms to get used to.

If your 1st robot (android) was life-sized and fully physical articulated, and I had mastery of her programming... I could accept her as a life-mate. And I would tolerate her occasional minor mistakes - as I would have to from a human. Sometimes, mannerism 'quarks' are even cute. Would be nice to have a choice of other human-race representations too.

The others you posted are all just machines to me - even the "I Robot" with the extreme human-ish face. From them... I would expect no emotions, slave obedience, and perfect functions of brains and body. Otherwise, they are in need of shut-down and repair - IMO.

Tired of waiting on NASA to adopt Flying Saucer technology! Sick of human political-representative government! I want 1970: COLOSSUS (The Forbin Project) A.I. - as World Control government! Providing flying saucer tech, "For the betterment of man."
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've noticed that the big difference between us is that you embrace the idea of investing your emotions in an artificial person.

I'm the reverse. I don't want a machine that pretends to be human. I don't want a machine that makes me forget it's a machine. I don't want a machine that imitates human emotions or heartfelt devotion.

I don't want a Stepford Wife. But I ever get one, you borrow her any time. I'm generous with my "things".
Very Happy

larryfoster wrote:
Talking Tina creeped me out too! But, I seem to have more tolerance for the 'uncanny valley' syndrome than other people. The way some people object to it, makes me wonder how they can tolerate other people with ANY difference or handicaps.

Let me put it this way: Real people who are different from the "norm" are just fine and dandy. Despite any differences in their appearance, their human being on the inside.

But artificial people who are too much like the "norm" aren't real human beings -- just mechanisms that imitate people.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's unlikely that there will ever be robots/droids/computers with human emotions. Emotions are created by glands and are part of our survival mechanisms. They are highly flexible.

Whereas robots/droids/computers are limited to their programming and cannot have the capacity for all of the variables that would be necessary to mimic every emotional combination.

larryfoster
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud... a Stepford Wife is the right idea for me - if not produced by the (un-necessary) immoral methods of the 'Mens Association', of that movie.

"Cherry 2000" had the right approach - a mass-produced consumer product. No murder of original human involved!

===========

Butch... some gland-based emotions should not be mimicked. Like those of evil intent.

Pye-Rate
Starship Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that no one appears to be familiar with the cultural drive behind the development of humanoid robots. The Japanese are desperate. The problem they face is all social. Aging population + tight immigration policy.

Though the Japanese appear to be a very open society they are race/culturally insular. They see 40 years down the road when 60% of the population will be elders. Werehousing elders like is out of the question. Hence the development of humanoid carebots.

Unlike other countries they expect a post babyboom population of 40% current levels. Can't do that without a bot population min of 3 to 1 with humans.

They are trying maintain their cultural norm of respect and care for the elderly. This is how they avoid the cultural clash Europe has with immigration from North Africa.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pye-Rate wrote:
I see that no one appears to be familiar with the cultural drive behind the development of humanoid robots. The Japanese are desperate.

They are trying maintain their cultural norm of respect and care for the elderly.

Okay, NOW your talkin'!

Larry and I will never be able to double date with the Doublemint Android Twins, because the only thing I'll ever willingly insert into a robo-gal is . . . a recharge plug! Wink

But when I eventually get too old to cut the mustard (a day rapidly approaching) I'd much rather have a reliable android caregiver than some incompetent, low-paid worker in a nursing home who hates changing my Depends and spoon feeding me while I drool all over the place.

And since I'll be far from that place where I used to live -- that place called reality -- I won't mind if my trusty carebot looks like a pretty young thing who tells me how handsome I am and doesn't slap my face when I place my gnarled old hand on her knee while I ask her if she has a date for the prom yet. Very Happy

It won't matter if she's real or if she's Memorex then, Larry, 'cause by that time I won't know my own grandchildren. Sad

But until that day comes, I'd rather have a girlfriend / wife / significant other with whom I grow closer each day because we're sharing that thing called the human experience -- and not because she gets system upgrades from time to time!
Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

larryfoster wrote:
Butch... some gland-based emotions should not be mimicked. Like those of evil intent.

That's still a glandular based emotion. By your argument the need for humanoid robots/droids/computers without emotions then becomes desirable.
larryfoster
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh? I did not exclude healthcare functions from my descriptions. I said 'life-mate'. Life includes all, until death.

Quote:
But when I eventually get too old to cut the mustard (a day rapidly approaching) I'd much rather have a reliable android caregiver than some incompetent, low-paid worker in a nursing home who hates changing my Depends and spoon feeding me while I drool all over the place.

I would want that function also... even if I'm not Japanese. And I would add... at that stage of life, I would prefer a familiar face (even if an artificial one) tending to me, over adapting to a stranger.
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. My Godfather, Butch, is getting there and is getting very grumpy in his old age. Most of his friends are either dead or live a long ways away. He lives almost 20 miles from Arlington and refuses to give up his 11 1/2 acre property. We have to travel there at least once a week to make certain that he's OK.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie, he's lucky to have you looking out for his well being that way. If the invent the "transfer booths" described in Larry Niven's novels, would you mind zipping over to North Carolina occasionally to be sure I'm still kickin'? Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: