ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Sea Hawk (1940)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: The Sea Hawk (1940) Reply with quote

This is my all-time favorite swashbuckling adventure film — with an epic story, astounding action, gripping drama, heartfelt romance, and a sea battle so spectacular that it inspired the opening battle in the second novel I wrote in 1984 (currently being revised), Sail the Sea of Stars.

]

I even had in mind the dark and nefarious character played by Claude Rains when I concocted the villains in my story, the genetically engineered "Beltherians" who conspired to conquer the Alliance of Sentient Life and rule the galaxy, the same way Spain had ambitions for world conquest in The Sea Hawk.

Other aspects of The Sea Hawk provided me with great ideas for Sail the Sea of Stars, such as the rescue of the galley slaves after the opening sea battle.

]

Other great aspects of The Sea Hawk include the wonderful relationship between Jeffery Thorpe (Errol Flynn) and the Queen Elizabeth (Flora Robson) —

— and the hot romance between Errol Flynn and the lovely Brenda Marshall.

The swordplay in this fine film is top-notch, especially with the amazing music by Erich Wolfgang Korngold, the man who inspired John Williams to endow Star Wars with the same kind of rich orchestral score that films like The Sea Hawk possessed.

]

Obviously George Lucas was equally inspired by movies like this one when he came up with the light sabre battles we love so much in Star Wars.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one swashed their buckle better than Errol.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
... I'm equally fond of The Adventures of Don Juan.

The queen was played by Viveca Lindfors, whom you will remember, of course, from Stargate (1994).

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
No one swashed their buckle better than Errol.

I was just about to say "I thought it was 'buckled their swash', but then I realized that your clever reversal makes just as much sense as the typical humorous saying! Laughing

Earlier I said The Sea Hawk was my favorite swashbuckler, but to be fair I'm equally fond of The Adventures of Don Juan. I love the gorgeous Technicolor, the rousing score by Max Steiner, the wonderful humor, the tender romantic elements, and the amazing action — like the spectacular sword fight with Robert Douglas on that huge staircase!

______________ Adventures of Don Juan - Trailer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: