ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forbidden Planet (1956)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Bud, I think it's important to understand JUST what the concept of the ID is as relating to FP.

At the time the movie was produced Freudian psychological concepts were being thrown around quite liberaly. Analysis from a Freudian point of view was also prevelent.

THE "ID" DEFINED :

:The "ID" is the one of the three divisions of the psyche in psychoanalytic theory that is completely unconscious and is the source of psychic energy derived from instinctual needs and drives

In Latin, id means simply "it". Sigmund Freud (and his translator) brought the word into the modern vocabulary as the name of what Freud believed to be one of the three basic elements of the human personality, the other two being the ego and the superego.

According to Freud, the id is the first of these to develop, and is the home of the body's basic instincts, particularly those involving sex and aggression.

Since the id lacks logic, reason, or even organization, it can contain conflicting impulses. Primitive in nature, it wants to be satisfied immediately. Although its workings are completely unconscious, Freud believed that its contents could be revealed in works of art, in slips of the tongue ("Freudian slips"), and in one's dreams.

It is the part of the psyche, residing in the unconscious, that is the source of instinctive impulses that seek satisfaction in accordance with the pleasure principle and are modified by the ego and the superego before they are given overt expression.

It is the dark, inaccessible part of our personality, what little we know of it we have learned from our study of the dreamwork and of course the construction of neurotic symptoms, and most of that is of a negative character and can be described only as a contrast to the ego.

We approach the id with analogies: we call it a chaos, a cauldron full of seething excitations. ...It is filled with energy reaching it from the instincts, but it has no organization, produces no collective will, but only a striving to bring about the satisfaction of the instinctual needs subject to the observance of the pleasure principle

The id "knows no judgements of value: no good and evil, no morality. ...Instinctual cathexes seeking discharge—that, in our view, is all there is in the id."

It is regarded as "the great reservoir of libido", the instinctive drive to create—the life instincts that are crucial to pleasurable survival.

Alongside the life instincts came the death instincts—the death drive which Freud articulated relatively late in his career in "the hypothesis of a death instinct, the task of which is to lead organic life back into the inanimate state."

For Freud, "the death instinct would thus seem to express itself—though probably only in part—as an instinct of destruction directed against the external world and other organisms" through aggression.

So Morbius's extension of his psyche implemented by "The Machine" was completely an unconscious act. Conciously he was not aware of his involvement and as it finaly came to him he was tortured and devestated by the fact.

No...Morbius didn't lie...He told the truth as he was aware of it. He was just wrong....HE was responsible for the "Monster from the ID".

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops . . . EYES WHITE

(Freudian slip?)
Rolling Eyes

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goodness, are you sure it doesn't say "white"? Perhaps you need new glasses, Wayne! Please don't try to drive until you get that checked! Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has all the earmarks of a Freudian slipcover.

WayneO
-----------
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a series of YouTube™ videos. First a CGI walkthrough of the ship by 3dartistguy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1UcEg_tc-o

Next the C-57-D Revealed by lugodoc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37ZgCOFpxMQ

Then, the Forbidden Planet C-57D blueprints by Shane Johnson, and the Robby the Robot Poster posted by venera13studios: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6QRPOrFLJc

And last, the Tour of the C-57-D by Sci-FI Steve Johnson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wga3VmRlbpU

Unfortunately this is a partial tour and I've not been able to find the rest of it.

Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THESE worked! Kidos to Bud and Wayne for helping me . Next post Have Gun — Will Travel pics.

Robby's unused dress for Alta that she requested.

Robbu's internal workings from the Japanese lased disk.

An elargement of the copper rain suit fot an unuded tag scene wgere it was supposed to be raing as Cdr, Adams and Alta drove the tractor back to yhe C-57-D. The producers decided on the silver rain suit instead then decided NOT to show a sequence that would diminish Robby by showing him being towed!

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert (Butch) Day wrote:

Robby's unused dress for Alta that she requested.

OMG, that's atrocious. It looks like kitschy 1950s kitchen wallpaper. If they'd used that dress in the movie, poor Anne Francis would never have lived it down.
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
OMG, that's atrocious. It looks like kitschy 1950s kitchen wallpaper. If they'd used that dress in the movie, poor Anne Francis would never have lived it down.

It certainly would have changed the story line! Can you see her putting this on just after the swimming scene?

Strangely this style was popular for a party or formal wear in the 1940s to 1650s!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:

Although Butch is right when he said that Altaira would have had a helluva time wiggling into that dress behind the bushes after getting out of the pool, I completely disagree that the gown is "atrocious". It's a very beautiful, elegant gown that could be worn to a formal affair.

And remember, this dress is EXACTLY what she asked Robby to make!

"Robby, I need a new dress."

"Again?"

"Oh, but this one must be different! Absolutely nothing must show — above, below, or through. And fit in all the right places, with lots and lots of star sapphires!"

Robby said star sapphires took a week to crystallize properly, so he suggested diamonds and emeralds. Altaira said that would be fine if they were large enough. Very Happy

Perhaps Altaira could save that dress for the Miss Universe contest when she gets back to Earth!
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun May 27, 2018 4:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:

Although Butch is right when he said that Altaira would have had a helluva time wiggling into that dress behind the bushes after getting out of the pool, I completely disagree that the gown is "atrocious". It's a very beautiful, elegant gown that could be worn to a formal affair.

De gustibus non est disputandum, as they say.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To which I reply.

Non enim ad vos the promísit, ius?

But I could be mistaken. Very Happy

~ Be sure to click on the speaker icon on the English translation side. The lady's voice has just the right tone for that question. Laughing

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Romans had a word for "prom"? Shocked

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, no, my learned friend. Very Happy

I did my homework by finding out that "prom" is short for "promenade", which translates to "gestatio".

But the word "prom" itself translated to "promísit", which I haven't found a definition for, but I'm sure it is not Latin for "a formal dance, especially one held by a class in high school or college at the end of a year."

Naturally I was just teasing Scotspen by insinuating that his personal experiences with lovely ladies in evening gowns may be less extensive than, oh . . . say . . . mine. Cool

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
I did my homework by finding out that "prom" is short for "promenade", which translates to "gestatio".

But the word "prom" itself translated to "promísit", which I haven't found a definition for, but I'm sure it is not Latin for "a formal dance, especially one held by a class in high school or college at the end of a year."

It's actually the past tense, second person singular of prōmittere ("to promise").

Bud Brewster wrote:
Naturally I was just teasing Scotspen by insinuating that his personal experiences with lovely ladies in evening gowns may be less extensive than, oh . . . say . . . mine. Cool

Well, you've got me there. I spent most of my high school senior year building model spaceships and jerking off.

Come to think of it, I haven't changed a bit in 48 years!
Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 56 of 143

Jump to: