ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starlog #10 — The Worlds of Geoge Pal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi magazines and fanzines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Starlog #10 — The Worlds of Geoge Pal Reply with quote

Enjoy this fine Starlog article about the master of sci-fi / fantasy, George Pal.

Click on each page here to see a large, easy-to-read version you can zoom in on. Click on the large version again for the maximum size!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks, I apologize for the poor job I did when I presented the very first enhanced version of a Starlog article in this manner on May 28th! I did NOT do this magnificent article justice!

Today I completely redid the entire article, cleaning up the text and enhancing the pictures. Very Happy

My only excuse is that this was the first article from Archive.net I'd enhanced with Paint.net, and I hadn't yet discovered all the techniques I needed to present these articles in their best forms.

Please enjoy the new-improved version and then add your own replies to this thread. The article is magnificent, and I'm proud to display this improved version for your enjoyment!

Bud

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished the article above. I highly recommend it, guys. Very Happy

The article relates a very enthusiastic discussion between film historian Ed Naha and George Pal about past, present, and future projects. Naha does a fine job of describing how enthusiast Pal is about the sequel he was planning to do for The Time Machine[i/] when this article was written in 1977. . . and he even describes a shocking opening scene!

Pal also talked about a project he was certain would become a TV miniseries called [i]The Day of the Comet
. He expected it to go into production soon at Paramount. Obviously that didn’t work out, but he certainly had ambitious plans for it!

Another concept he was hopeful about had a rather questionable premise. It's about a future where a world-wide water shortage causes a rich oil-producing nation to actually bring an iceberg from the artic! The film was to be called Voyage of the Berg, and Pal was convinced that a global water shortage would become a reality someday.

Take a look at the color concept art in the article, which shows the iceberg equipped with propellers! It’s an example of the artwork Pal has rendered himself over the years to illustrate his concepts. The three paintings on the last two pages of the article are also by George Pal. Very Happy

I enjoyed the article because it made me aware of how hard Pal has worked over the years to produce the movies he created . . . and the movies he couldn’t create for the lack of vision and funding in good old Hollywood.

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, after the poor showing of DOC SAVAGE and the changing of the cost structure for producing films Pal's visions were not looked at as "blockbuster worthy".

Like many creators from the 50's and 60's he fell by the wayside, as did his projects.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, indeed. Doc Savage is not a movie I can find many good things to say about. Sad

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Bud, Ron Ely looked good.

There was a fan edited version of the movie floating around that changed the music around and edited out the "silly parts" that actually looked pretty good.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi magazines and fanzines All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: