ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steve Ditko Is Dead At 90

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Steve Ditko Is Dead At 90 Reply with quote

Spider-Man And Doctor Strange Co-Creator Steve Ditko Is Dead At 90

By Adam Holmes

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2446499/spider-man-and-doctor-strange-co-creator-steve-ditko-is-dead-at-90

The New York City Police Department confirmed Steve Ditko's death to THR, saying he was found dead in his apartment on June 29 and is believed to have died two days earlier. Ditko is not believed to have married and he did not have any children, although he does have a nephew who is also named Steve Ditko.

Steve Ditko got his start in the comic book industry in 1953, and not long after that he met Joe Simon and Jack Kirby, who had created Captain America more than a decade earlier. By 1955, he began illustrating for Atlas Comics, the precursor to Marvel Comics, where he worked with Stan Lee.

In 1961, Lee recruited Ditko to help him create Spider-Man after Lee was unsatisfied with what Kirby had come up with. Spider-Man debuted in 1962's Amazing Fantasy #15, and Ditko stuck with the Web-Slinger's main book for its first 38 issues, during which time he also co-created villains like Doctor Octopus, Lizard, Electro and Green Goblin.

In 1963, Ditko teamed up with Lee again to create Doctor Strange, who debuted in Strange Tales #110. Ditto illustrated Strange's mystical adventures until Strange Tales #146. Ditko also drew Iron Man and Hulk during this era.

In 1966, Steve Ditko and Stan Lee had a falling-out; Ditko never explained his side of the story publicly and Lee claimed he didn't know why the rift had formed. Whatever the reason, Ditko jumped to Charlton Comics, where he worked on characters like Captain Atom, The Question and Blue Beetle (the Ted Kord version), all of whom were eventually incorporated into the DC universe.

And speaking of DC Comics, while Ditko's initial stay with that company was short, he did co-create The Creeper and duo Hawk and Dove during that time. Ditko would work for Marvel and DC again in later years, with one of his last Marvel creations being Squirrel Girl in the early '90s. Ditko also created Mr. A, an Objectivist crimefighter who remained Ditko's property.

Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your links was about 4 hours behind the original reporting: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/steve-ditko-dead-spider-man-creator-was-90-1125489

For the curious Steve in his prime:

Spiderman was last seen with Iron Man znd Doctor Strange in:

One of his recent collaborations with Doctor Strange:

His first collaboration outside of Marvel was in the Summer of 1976:

I remember most this panel:

The full comic can be found here https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/spider-man-vs-superman-535504/ almost at the bottom of the page.
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking Wikipedia, it confirms my feeling that Steve Ditko wasn't involved with Superman vs The Amazing Spider-Man:

Quote:
The writing was done by Gerry Conway and the penciling by Ross Andru. Both of these creators had worked on Superman and Spider-Man before in their own titles. The original edition lists no editor, with the splash reading: "Presented by: Carmine Infantino and Stan Lee"; this was changed to "Edited by" in a 1991 reprint. Conway in 2009 said he "did the actual editorial work," i.e. "proofing, supervision of production, supervision of art and lettering and colouring". Neal Adams redrew the major Superman figures. Inker Dick Giordano recalled, "[T]he pages were sent to [Giordano and Adams' studio] Continuity and were mostly left on my desk... and Neal took it upon himself to redraw the Superman figures without telling me that he was going to do it. I didn't complain, but also I also never mentioned it to anyone at the time and I never spoke of it until now... mostly [out of] respect for Ross and his work."

John Romita Sr. drew some Marvel-character faces and did some Spider-Man alterations in chapter two. Giordano's assistant, Terry Austin, inked backgrounds, except for three pages of the five-page "Prologue 3", on which Bob Wiacek inked backgrounds.

Bill Willingham tweeted: "RIP comic legend Steve Ditko. I worked exactly once with Steve Ditko, though he never knew it, when my studio mate inked his Dark Dominion trading card story, for Defiant. I told Keith Wilson, “There’s no way an entire story of Ditko pencils come into this studio and I don’t ink some of it,” so I did. I inked three of the cards, meaning three panels of the story, unpaid and un-credited, but it was a personal high point in a long career. He was the best of the best."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: