ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Invisible Boy (1957)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
I think maybe your right, [Krel], that the harsh lighting and the lack of polish Robby displays in the movie might be a better explanation than the idea that he was covered in dust and nobody bother to brush him off a little before taking a publicity still.

Krel wrote:
I don't know what kind of paint they used on Robby, or how he was stored, but in some metallic paints, the metallic part can oxidize, become dull. The finish would need a good polishing to come back to life. That may be the case here. They just never took the time to polish Robby's finish back to a good shine.

I noticed your comment on this from a while back, and it's an idea I think might explain the "dullness" of Robby in The Invisible Boy.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:42 am; edited 2 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what about the plot point (discussed previously) that Timmie had found Robby disassembled in a storage closet (gathering dust) and tinkered him back together? Little boys aren't especially renowned for their dusting skills.

No need to formulate complicated explanations when a simple one will suffice.

WayneO
-----------
Krel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Altaira. She loses her Father, her animals, and her planet. She then makes the journey to Earth, only to have her robot stolen. Not a good first impression.

David.
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over at the CHFB on their Invisible Boy thread a member posted this picture:

I copied it and made it brighter and sharper…

A Robby toy! The poster over at CHFB never said what movie. Can anyone identify it? (i am not a member as I do not use tapatalk.)

Eadie gas done it again! looking at the Mexican lobby cards she noticed that Robby has TOES!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like Harry Belafonte from The World, the Flesh, and the Devil, a 1959 MGM release.

Concerning the poster, the artist correctly rendered the feature of Robby's feet that allows his "toes" to bend upward as he steps forward, although the poster version does elongate Robby's feet a bit. The actual feet on the Robby suit are made like this.

_______

_______

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I got out my DVD-R of The World, the Flesh, and the Devil and found that scene at about the 30 minute mark (or perhaps a bit early, because the TCM intro with Robert Osborn is on the beginning of the DVD-R).

Harry finds an abandoned apartment in post apocalyptic New York and wanders in on a cold and rainy day. We see Robby sitting on the counter for about ten seconds while Harry looks around the place and spots a fireplace.

The scene cuts to a very brief shot of Inger Stevens outside, huddled in a doorway across the street, shivering in the rain. Then the scene cuts back to Harry in the apartment as he gathers up newspapers and miscellaneous items for the fireplace.

Among the wadded-up papers he's holding is the rag doll we see in the above picture, laying in front of Robby. We can see the rag doll clearly when he starts arranging the things in the fireplace.

And Robby . . . is NOT on the counter anymore! Very Happy

My God . . . did Harry burn Robby in the fireplace? Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
My God . . . did Harry burn Robby in the fireplace? Shocked

Surprised I think that very unlikely as the Robby toy is made of metal not wood. ( I have that toy.)
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, but why was the toy on the counter in the first shot and gone (along with the doll) just seconds later?

I realize that it might just be a continuity problem.

But the scene starts with Harry shivering and hugging himself when he first enters the apartment. The scene that shows him hastily gathering up material to make a fire and then placing the material in the fireplace and lighting it might have been one continuous shot.

The editor cut to Inger Stevens in the street, and he might have left out part of the complete scene, such as when Harry grabbed up the magazines, the newspapers, the rag doll, and the Robby toy to make a fire and get himself warm.

I'm just saying that even though it wouldn't seem logical for Harry to toss nonflammable items into the fireplace, like the Robby toy, he was acting hastily because he was cold, and he might have grabbed a few things he saw lying around just on impulse.

I wonder if there might have been a deleted scene in which Harry looked at the doll and the Robby toy and thought something like, "A little boy and girl lived here. Now all the children are dead. Damn . . . " and he threw both toys into the fireplace because they were painful reminders of the global tragedy.

If you've seen the movie you might remember that after Harry moved in, he had a department store mannequin in the apartment for days, which he talked to frequently. But eventually he got frustrated with the immovable smiling face and threw the mannequin off the balcony!

Tossing the doll and the Robbie toy into the fireplace for emotional reasons is a little like his emotional moment with the mannequin.

Hey, I think I'll post a version of this comment in the thread for The World, the Flesh, and the Robby Toy! (I mean, the Devil . . . )
Embarassed

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then, as today, studios kept examples of merchandising from their movies and TV shows. Maybe an exec SUIT didn't even want the toy there? OR they placed it as a reminder of the product (The Invisible Boy and/or Forbidden Planet)?

BY-the-way; Did you know that Forbidden Planet)'s director Fred McLeod Wilcox and Cyril Hume had written a treatment idea for a sequel to Forbidden Planet named Robot World that would have explored the reason the Krell built the "Great Machine" with so many safeguards and why they failed?

It never was made due to the failure of his last film I Passed for White (Allied Artists 1960). Very little info is on the film other than a mention in Wilcox's biography and a few sentences in The Wizard Of M-G-M.

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to me a case of over-analysis. The Robby toy's actual material of construction was probably not expected to be known by an audience watching a movie like The World, the Flesh, and the Devil, or for that matter, even what it was supposed to be, other than some kid's toy. If they even gave it a passing thought, they might easily have assumed it to be made of a flammable material like wood, as so many toys and models were back in those days, and certainly on the basis of it being used for making a fire.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a reply to Wayne's comment after the duplicate version he posted on The World, the Flesh, and the Devil thread, where I added a modified version of my own comment above so we can move the discussion over there.

Here's the link.

http://www.allsci-fi.com/viewtopic.php?t=1478&highlight=

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie wrote:
TO ALL MY HONORARY UNCLES AND AUNTS:

The more times change, the more they stay the same! And I thought homework was hard today using computers. How did you ever manage with just books?

I must admit, Eadie, that whenever I'm writing something (sci-fi stories or All Sci-Fi posts) I freguently head for Google to check the spelling or the meaning of words when I'm not quite sure about them.

Okay, right about now several members are laughing at the idea that I actually check for misspelled and incorrectly used words, since I'm the reigning "Typo King" of All Sci-Fi! Rolling Eyes

But honest, folks, I do TRY to avoid tippos . . . tyoes . . . you know, mistakes!
Confused
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Lord, I just discovered that this thread does NOT have the fine poster for this movie!

Shame on me! Shocked

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

larryfoster wrote:
That 'crashed saucer' in the background of the picture does not appear to be the C-57-D saucer to me. Its bottom-hull profile appears too rounded. And the saucers perimeter appears too close to the base of its upper dome.

If Robby exited a 'crashed saucer', which is not the C-57-D . . . that is another untold story — as to how he came to be on it. Or perhaps . . . it is not 'the' Robby of "Forbidden Planet" - but rather a later, mass-produced Robby 'series', duplicate of him. Wink

All your very accurate observations concerning the photo — especially in your full post at this link —> https://www.allsci-fi.com/viewtopic.php?p=614&highlight=#614 — accurately list all the reasons why the photo is just a crude compilation of various elements.

The poorest element is the saucer, which is just a crude drawing.

In view of that, I admire your imaginative speculations that offered explanations for the photo which I'm sure the person who created it didn't actually think of himself. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: