ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A rant.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: A rant. Reply with quote

Okay, what brought this one on, is they are now replacing all of the street and traffic signs with new black posts, in place of the regular, easily replaced silver, galvanized posts. It just reminded me of when they put in the new street lights, and how it looked.

In my city, a few years back, they decided that they had to get rid of the mid-century streetlights. You know, the concrete poles with an arm that stretches over the street, sending the light onto the street. The poles didn't go easy, it took them a month of hard work to remove the one in front of my house, it wouldn't go and fought them to the bitter end!

They replaced them with streetlights that resemble lamps from the late 19th, early 20th century. A short, black metal post about half the height of the old lights, with a round glass globe on top, that doesn't put the light anywhere in particular. They aren't that bright, and certainly don't put light on the street.

BLACK! Why black? Granted, they are shiny, but are they trying to make them hard to see at night? They even kind of disappear in the day light. Why not green, or blue? I saw a neighbor glance off one, one night while they were walking their dog. Okay, that doesn't bother me, because I suspect that they have been letting their dog lay land minds in the middle of the front lawn.

Now the point of the rant.

The old mid-century lamps were installed about 1956-58 when the subdivision was started. You could stand at the beginning of the street, stand in font of the lamp, and when you looked down the street, you did not see another pole. That's how perfectly aligned they were.

The new old fashion lamps were installed on the other side of the street, and when you look down the street...YOU CAN SEE EVERY SINGLE LAMP! That's how misaligned they are.

How is it, over 55 yeas later. In the age of GPS and LASER sited Surveyor's scopes. AND presumably LASER guided digging machines. THEY COULDN'T GET THE LAMPS IN A STRAIGHT LINE!?

When the street was laid, they had optical Surveyor's scopes, and the got the lamps dug and aligned in a perfectly straight line. But with all the modern equipment an machinery, the lamps are laid out like they were intoxicated when they put them in.

Did they just not care?

David.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read yesterday that construction companies have one job applicant for every two open positions. Maybe they're taking whoever they can get.

WayneO
-----------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: