ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
Nothin' but pure science fiction!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adventures of Superman!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could imagine this scene in those 2 episodes where Superman is flying those little girls in the sky.

"Superman, its freezing, I'm getting hypothermia!"

"Superman, help, I can't breathe. The atmosphere is too thin."
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POW, that brings up a lot of discussion about what really are SUPERMAN's powers.

Some have theorized that his powers are psychic and supplied by exposure to photons in the yellow wavelength. These psychic powers extend an aura around him which protects anything or anyone in his imediate proximity. These also give him strength and invulnerability to the extent of his "charge" from the solar exposure.

If that is so, it would protect anyone or anything he was in close contact to. Like little girls or Lois Lanes etc..
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Damn, this is just too easy. The picture above is . . . a Robox.

I could NOT resist. Embarassed

I think my post preceding Bud's response on 21 Nov 2016 got deleted somehow, possibly a victim of the Photobucket Phiasco. So here it is again... the robot that appeared in an episode of Adventures of Superman:

WayneO
-----------
Pow
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun Facts } The Case of the Talkative Dummy, October 03, 1952.

The theater set was the same one used by Charlie Chaplin for his classic movie ''Limelight."

Guest star Pierre Watkin played Perry White in the Superman serial.

Phillip Pine would later play the infamous Colonel Green on Star Trek (TOS) episode The Savage Curtain.

The red outfit that Pine wore on that ST episode would be recycled for Robin Williams spacesuit on Mork & Mindy.
Pow
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Episode # 23 from season one } ''Ghost Wolf,'' (February 20,1953).

This would be the final time that George Reeves would allow himself, as Superman, to be flown through the air via wires after crashing to the stage floor.

"That's enough of that. Peter pan can fly with wires, but not Superman.''...George Reeves after the stunt mishap.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George was smart. The wire-supported flying scenes didn't work well anyway, and they certainly weren't worth the risk he took in doing the stunts.

Ironically, some of the best early era flying scenes were done in the serials with dummies on long wires stretch taunt like zip lines, with the dummies zooming across landscapes and sets in a very convincing manner.

Pow
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot agree with you more, Bud, in regards to how well done flying scenes were done in some of those classic movie serials.

1941's ''Adventures of Captain Marvel''still remains awesome looking to this day for the flying segments with CM.

The special effect was created by the legendary FX maestros Howard & Theodore Lydecker.

A 7'-foot dummy was used that was made of paper mache 7 weighed 15-lbs.

An elaborate pulley system was devised in order to film the CM dummy soaring through the air.

It was originally created for use in the Superman movie serials but discarded. A prototype was made.

A pity that the AOS TV series could not have taken advantage of the pulley system that was intended first for the movie Superman flying scenes.

I'm sure that the TV show had neither the budget or shooting schedule time to do so.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By gum, it occurred to me this morning that the dummy-on-a-wire system might not have work as well for Superman as it did for Commando Cody and Captain Marvel, the two I remember who used that system.

Superman's cape might not have looked as well as it did when George laid on the board and faced a big fan. Commando Cody had no cape, of course, and Captain Marvel wore a short cape that hung over one shoulder. Frankly it fluttered around too much in the closeups of Captain Marvel when he was position prone, probably because the cape seemed to be made of lightweight silk.

But George's long cape, made of heavier material, might have laid across the back of the dummy if the wind weren't blowing hard enough from the speed of the dummy on the wire.

However, I found the YouTube video below with 13 minutes of Superman flying scenes, and it showed me a few things that surprised me.

_ Adventures of Superman - Flying With Superman

I'd forgotten just how many ways they actually presented the flying scenes. The video includes the well known scenes of George laying on a platform, as well as scenes hanging from wires in front of a rear projection screen, and the shots of George superimposed over a moving cloud background.

In the scenes with George on wires, the cape flaps around energetically because of the fan blowing on him, and sometimes a corner of the cape would wrap around one of the wires for an instant. (I didn't get a picture of that happening, but you'll it in the video, starting at the 5:45 mark.)

What surprised me was the fact that when George is on the platform (as shown in the screen shots below), his cape doesn't just flutter because of the fan blowing on him, it was manipulated by wires attached to the corners, with stage hands off camera shaking the wires up and down, keeping the outsides edge fairly taunt while the rest of the cape flapped around because of the fan and and agitation of the corners.*

The technique works remark well.[/size] Very Happy

Pow
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AOS episode #2,''The Haunted Lighthouse,''September 26, 1952.

This was adapted from the Superman radio show story ''Lighthouse Point Smugglers.''

AOS episode #13,''The Stolen Costume,''December 12, 1952 was adapted from the radio episode ''Dead Men Tell No Tales.''

A number of episodes from the TV series were adapted from both the radio show for Superman,as well as some of the comic books.

Episode # 38,''Panic in the Sky,''November 50, 1953, one of the most memorable and popular episodes from the television series was adapted from the World's Finest Comic book issue #68,''The Menace from the Stars.''
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
AOS episode #2,''The Haunted Lighthouse,''September 26, 1952.

This was adapted from the Superman radio show story ''Lighthouse Point Smugglers.''

I remember being surprised by how little of Superman we get to see in this very early episode. It was, in fact, a lot of Jimmy Olson and just a little more of Clark — with Superman saving the day at the end, naturally. Very Happy

Pow wrote:
AOS episode #13,''The Stolen Costume,''December 12, 1952 was adapted from the radio episode ''Dead Men Tell No Tales.''

A number of episodes from the TV series were adapted from both the radio show for Superman,as well as some of the comic books.

Is this the one in which the gangster and his girlfriend are stranded by Superman on a snow capped mountain at the end so they won't reveal his secret identity? If so, the fact that things didn't end well for the two villains was basically Superman's fault!

A moral dilemma that didn't seem to bother Kal-Ell.
Sad

Pow wrote:
Episode # 38,''Panic in the Sky,''November 50, 1953, one of the most memorable and popular episodes from the television series was adapted from the World's Finest Comic book issue #68,''The Menace from the Stars.''

The polar opposite of "The Haunted Lighthouse", this one is Superman at his best — despite the lack of FX we wanted to see of Superman ramming an asteroid to prevent it from colliding with the Earth!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: