ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Around the World in 80 Days (1956)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Around the World in 80 Days (1956) Reply with quote

1956 was a remarkable year for wide-screen spectacles. Movie audiences went back to Biblical times in "The Ten Commandments", journeyed to the planet Altair IV in "Forbidden Planet", and circled the globe in "Around the World in 80 Days". David Niven and Shirley MacLaine head the cast in this star-studded, big-budget travelogue, with a fine score by Victor Young.

The film's producers took home an Oscar. But today opinions on the film vary greatly. Some viewers describe is as amusing and pleasant because of the exotic locales, fine cinematography by Lionel Lindon, and the all-star cast. Less-enthusiastic viewers point out that "Around the World in 80 Days" is both a limp comedy and lackluster adventure, providing little in the way of plot, suspense, or excitement.

Director Michael Anderson was obviously not trying to turn Phineas Fogg into a turn-of-the-century Indiana Jones. He just wanted to make a bouncy, brightly colored tour of the world's more scenic ports-of-call. If you don't expect a Great Adventure, you can derive harmless pleasure from this highly regarded movie.

One added bonus for sci-fi fans: the film begins with Georges Mellies' 1902 film "A Trip to the Moon". A must-see for sci-fi movie completest.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:15 pm; edited 6 times in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like most of Verne's stories it is primarily a travel brochure. Remember travel for pleasure was just getting started by the main population. Previously it was mostly for the wealthy or for religious reasons.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very amusing trailer for this movie.

Enjoy! Very Happy

______________ Around the World In 80 Days

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 77 trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

The role of Passepartout was greatly expanded from the novel to accommodate Mexican star Cantinflas. In the mid 1950s he was the wealthiest movie star in the world, and got top billing in Latin countries.

Note from me: Cantinflas was the wealthiest movie star in the world? I'd never heard of this guy! Shocked

The bullfighting sequence was added because Cantinflas had bullfighting experience. He was actually in the ring with the bull, eschewing the use of a stunt double. It was one of the first sequences shot.

Note from me: Impressive! The wealthiest movie star in the world was allowed to risk his life! What were those people thinking?

According to David Niven's agent, Producer Mike Todd originally wanted Cary Grant to play Phileas Fogg, but gave up after trying for six months.

Note from me: This would have been a very different movie with Cary Grand in the leading role. Not necessarily better or worse. Just different.

This movie is generally considered the single largest movie project ever undertaken in Hollywood. Filming was completed in seventy-five shooting days.

Note from me: Interesting. And yet I personally consider it to be rather dull, plot-less travelogue, packed with self-gratifying cameos by vain actors. Very Happy

To make this movie really stand out from the crowd of epic films, Producer Mike Todd implored theater owners to promote this movie "exactly as you would a Broadway show": organize reserved seats, pass out playbills before the movie, remove clocks from the theater, and ban the sale of popcorn.

Mike Todd, the ultimate controlling Producer, forbade the sale of popcorn in theaters where this movie was playing.

Note from me: Ban the sale of popcorn? That's herecy! Outrageously overpriced popcorn is what makes movies profitable these days! Shocked

To make this movie really stand out from the crowd of epic films, Producer Mike Todd implored theater owners to promote this movie "exactly as you would a Broadway show": organize reserved seats, pass out playbills before the movie, remove clocks from the theater, and ban the sale of popcorn.

Note from me: That's a party I regret missing . . . Sad

The original novel had no gas balloon, yet the balloon has remained an iconic image of the movie.

Note from me: No balloon in the Verne novel? That's like not having a submarine in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case I haven't mentioned this lately, I find this movie a complete bore, but I enjoyed the new version of Around the World in 80 Days (2004) so much I bought the DVD.

Unlike this big-budget snooze-fest travelogue, the more recent one is a feast of imaginative and humorous film-making.

If you haven't seen it, you've missed a remarkable film.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCM aired this movie on 2/18/2022, and I watched it on a whim. (Actually I watched on a TV, but never mind that . . . )

Since I knew not to expect an "action adventure", I actually enjoy its relaxed charm and its star-studied cast, not to mention the fine music score by listening it on my Sony headphones — the only way a true gentleman would undertake such an endeavor, I assure you, sir!

I also remembered that the first time I saw this film was a network airing, and I watched it on this modest little 14" TV during my bachelor days in the 1970s!

Watching it today on a 50" HD television is . . . . well, (cough, cough) a very different experience. Rolling Eyes

The sets and photography certainly keep the viewers eyes pleasantly occupied.

The montage of the balloon flight was filled with gorgeous scenery, both from the ground look up at the distant balloon high overhead, and from the air looking down at some spectacular views from aloft.

Victor Young's famous score is prominently featured during this stunning sequence.

In fact, the montage is quite reminiscent of the montage in Five Weeks in a Balloon (1961), the film version of another Jules Verne adventure.

Later in the Around the World in 80 Days, Phileas Fogg is joined by Sir Francis Cromarty, a British officer played by Cedric Hardwicke — who played Professor Fergusson, the inventor of the remarkable "heated hydron" airship featured in Five Weeks in a Balloon! Very Happy

Once that thought occurred to me I realized there were several other similarities between the two movies. They both center on a race against time to complete a journey, and they both include the rescue of lovely lady who joins the heroes on their journey.

In Around the World in 80 Days, Fogg rescues an Indian princess (played by Shirley McLane), and in Five Weeks in a Balloon, Professor Ferguson rescues an American teacher (played by Barbara Eden) who is about to be sold into slavery.

Around the World in 80 Days also presents a bullfighting scene which is mesmerizing! I don't know how those guys do it, but it's obvious that bullfighters have more balls than a pool table! Shocked

Having said all this, I've obviously changed my negative opinion of this movie. My initial expectations were wrong, and after correcting them, I was able to enjoy the movie very much.
Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud, The PBS Sunday night miniseries adaptation of Jules Verne's Around the World in 80 Days has been marvelous.

From the weekly stories, to the excellent cast, and the top of the line production values, this has been a real treat to watch.

I wanted to check it out when it first premiered but I was also ready to bail if it wasn't very good, even though most shows on PBS are of excellent quality.

This iteration of the Verne novel grabbed me from the minute I watched it and has had me looking forward to each week's newest episode.

And leave us not forget that the classic Verne novel was once adapted to The Three Stooges Go Around the World in a Daze, August 21, 1963.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: