ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forbidden Planet (1956)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom wants to know if there is a pattern to the sweater. And if the Rocket ship can be changed to the C-57-D, and can Robby be added. If not don't worry. She says we can probably adapt an existing pattern

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas, I don't have a pattern for that sweater. It's an original from the FORBIDDEN PLANET STORE in the UK.
I don't know if it's available for shipping to the US.

https://forbiddenplanet.com/131732-forbidden-planet-sweatshirt-christmas-jumper/

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is this year's White House Christmas Tree display:

I was hoping that the artists here would take this Altair IV-colored tree and make a Christmas Tree for us. I can't imagine that Dr. Morbius would have deprived Alta of Christmas!

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"All right, Robby, you can use your built in remote control to light up the Christmas tree out there on the terrace."

]

"Ummm . . . Robby, that is NOT your built-in remote control!"

~ Click on the images to see larger versions.

Merry Christmas from All Sci-Fi! Very Happy
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that a traditional Terran (Earth) tree?. [I was hoping for something more in line with the Altair IV vegetation color scheme.]

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm . . .

Since it's an Earth tradition, I'd think Morbius would have honored this holiday by presenting Altaira with what she'd experience if they were both back on Earth. And I can't quite picture an Althaea frutex looking very festive and "Christmasy" with light and ornaments! Laughing

The purpose of a Christmas tree is to follow the time-honored traditions of history. Would Dr. Morbius — a philologist, an expert on words and their meanings — try to reinvent Christmas on Altair 4, instead of teaching his daughter how Christmas is celebrated on the planet which gave birth to her beloved parents?

But hey, that's just my take on the subject. Very Happy

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A paperback book makes an ideal Christmas present, I'm told:

Based on the screenplay of course - I'm told that "W. J. Stuart" was the mystery writer Philip MacDonald. Indeed, the Wikipedia entry confirms that, mentioning that the book "chapters the novel into separate first person narrations by Dr. Ostrow, Commander Adams, and Dr. Morbius. The novel delves further into the mysteries of the vanished Krell and Morbius' relationship to them. In the novel, he repeatedly exposes himself to the Krell's manifestation machine, which (as suggested in the film) boosts his brain power far beyond normal human intelligence. Unfortunately, Morbius retains enough of his imperfect human nature to be afflicted with hubris and a contempt for humanity. Not recognizing his own base primitive drives and limitations proves to be Morbius' downfall, as it had for the extinct Krell. While not stated explicitly in the film (although the basis for a deleted scene first included as an extra with the Criterion Collection's LaserDisc set and included with both the later 50th anniversary DVD and current Blu-ray releases), the novelisation compared Altaira's ability to tame the tiger (until her sexual awakening with Commander Adams) to the medieval myth of a unicorn being tamable only by a virgin. The novel also includes an element never included in the film: when Dr. Ostrow dissects one of the dead Earth-type animals, he discovers that its internal structure precludes it from ever having been alive in the normal biological sense. The tiger, deer, and monkey are all conscious creations by Dr. Morbius using the great machine as companions ("pets") for his daughter and only outwardly resemble their Earth counterparts. Since the Krell's Great Machine can project matter "in any form" it has the power to create life. Thus, the Krell's self-destruction can be interpreted by the reader as a cosmic punishment for misappropriating the life-creating power of the universe. This is why Commander Adams says in his speech to Altaira '... we are, after all, not God'."

This may have been covered on one of the previous 78 pages, of course, and one author's interpretation of the motion picture doesn't make what he typed Absolute Truth. After all, Mr MacDonald is no Alan Dean Foster...
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
This may have been covered on one of the previous 78 pages, of course, and one author's interpretation of the motion picture doesn't make what he typed Absolute Truth. After all, Mr MacDonald is no Alan Dean Foster...

Oh, yes indeed. That subject has been thoroughly covered on this thread (several times), and the discussion presents the many ways in which Cyril Hume's script (along with Walter Pigeon's performance) makes it abundantly clear that Morbius in the movie had no idea what the machine did or that his subconscious thoughts had activated it.

I actually used the novel shown in your jpeg for a book report in high school in 1966. That was the origin of my firm belief that the animals were NOT specimens from Earth. And I was well aware, even then, that the novel differed greatly from the movie, which I first saw in 1956 and several times later on TV in the 1960s, as well as two viewings of rented 16mm prints presented by churches to their youth groups.

I wasn't a member of those churches, but my friend Jimmy Harmon would somehow find out about the events, so he would talk me and our mutual friend Chuck into riding buses across town to the churches and joining the friendly folks there. Very Happy

When WSB-TV in Atlanta showed Forbidden Planet in 1964, I shot blurry pictures right from the screen of our family B&W TV with a small camera. But the station aired a CinemaScope print without the anthropomorphic lens, so the move was a widescreen version which was squeezed down to 4:3!

Here's one of the actual pictures. Laughing

When they showed it again several months later, I was ready for a repeat of that ridiculous blunder.

My father and I fiddled with the adjustments in back of the television and squeezed it horizontally so that black bars were above and below the image on the screen. As I suspected they would, the station showed the same print again (the same way they had before), so when the movie started, I was watching it in the correct aspect ratio (not that I knew what THAT term meant in 1964).

But at least it look like this on my family TV. I didn't take pictures that time, so this is just an altered version of the jpeg above.

Yes, my friends, Mr. L.G. Cook of Atlanta, GA, invented "letterboxed" movies at the request of his son when the poor boy complained that channel 2 WSB-TV didn't know their ASSpect ratio from a hole in the ground!

The next day when my two friends, Jimmy and Chuck, bragged about watching Forbidden Planet in color on the new TV his family had purchased a few months earlier (with a screen what was nearly circular . . . Rolling Eyes ), I smiled smugly and said, "Yes, but I watched it in CinemaScope!" Very Happy

In other words, THIS is what Forbidden Planet looked like on Chuck's 1964 color TV (only not as sharp as this on his old CRT television.)

And THIS is what Forbidden Planet looked like on my 1964 B&W TV with the aspect ratio corrected by my father (only not as sharp as this our CRT television.)

Notice the missing elements of the image on the sides of the color version above compared to the one below, because of that horrible ROUND television screen the color set had! Shocked

My goodness, how times have changed! Very Happy

In addition to that triumph, I also had a reel-to-reel audio tape which was recorded directly from our family TV. I listened to that tape in my room fairly often.

So, I had ever aspect of that movie memorized: the plot, the dialog, and the electronic music!

Concerning the Wikipedia article, we should bear in mind that the author of the article gave us his own interpretation of the novel by W. J. Stuart . . . who in turn gave us his interpretation of the screenplay.

If you're interested in my complete essay on the subject of Morbius, the animals, and the Krell machine, look at the fourth and seventh posts on page 2 of this thread. It covers the subject pretty well. Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MORBIUS PREFERRED TO CELEBRATE IN PRIVATE.

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mr. Green! I was hoping for a tree along theses types:

I wonder if her dad ever explained SNOW to her?

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's more like it!

By-the-way I found this hilarious take on Forbidden Planet:

http://www.sealingtheenvelope.com/2017/10/

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Eadie! Very Happy

I sort of skimmed through the long text parts, but I read all the dialog balloons in the pictures and enjoyed them very much.

Note to members: To get to the Forbidden Planet spoof, scroll about halfway down the page until you see this.

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now THIS is what I meant by decorating the house!

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adams: Hey! Can you use this to visualize the booze for the Near Year's Eve party?

Morbius: Of course! And Robby can make ANY amount and no one will get drunk or have a hang-over!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 79 of 143

Jump to: