ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Krypton (2018)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Krypton (2018) Reply with quote

This one isn't even a pilot yet, but I strongly suspect this one will happen, assuming somebody doesn't really mess up. The proposed SyFy channel series is still in the development stages, but is about life on Superman's home planet, Krypton. Apparently beginning events take place some 200 years (Krypton years or Earth years?) before the planet was destroyed. Supposedly it will also tie in somehow with the current Man of Steele film series.

As of a month ago it still didn't have a "greenlight" from SyFy to shoot a pilot, but I betcha a chunk of Kryptonite it does soon.

http://www.newsarama.com/26473-krypton-will-explore-the-history-of-superman-s-homeworld.html

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/krypton-tv-show-superman-prequel-series-mythology-david-goyer-1201624212/
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additional info at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krypton_%28comics%29#Television

David S. Goyer was rumored to be developing a prequel TV series titled Krypton. In December 2014, it was confirmed that the series is in development and will air on the SyFy network. The series will be produced by Goyer and written and executive produced by Ian Goldberg. Goyer has also confirmed that the series will take place approximately 200 years before the time period of the Man of Steel film.

It is in what is called "development hell" and Mr. Goyer is trying to drum-up interest.

Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think it's a great idea. Let's drum up some interest. I'd like to see this one.
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AND let's get some consistency to the various DC programs!
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly new info at Ain't-It-Cool News http://www.aintitcool.com/node/75010
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SYFY will premiere its newest comic-book series, Krypton, next week, but before the House of El hits everyone’s television screens, you can take a look behind the scenes with a brand new featurette.

The video has its fair share of cast members talking up the new Superman-linked series, as well as a glimpse at series co-creator David Goyer, who discusses his intentions for the alien world, but it also offers a closer look at the series itself and the sort of story it’s creators are hoping to tell.
As is mentioned in the video, Krypton is set to explore the real beginnings of the Superman legacy — something that is made possible thanks to the arrival of Adam Strange, who shares details about the Man of Steel’s future with his grandfather, Seg-El (Cameron Cuffe).

This sets into motion a question as to what Seg plans to do with the information, essentially pitting the future of an entire planet against the promise that, from its destruction, one of the greatest heroes ever will be born.

That conceit takes the notion of the typical prequel series, whether it be Smallville or Gotham, and essentially turns it on its ear. Instead of waiting to see the series catch up with the events of a character known the world over, Krypton is actually creating a scenario wherein the Big Blue Boy Scout may never come into existence at all.

It’s an intriguing enough premise that the series might prove Cuffe’s words true: that Krypton isn’t “making a prequel. This story has genuine impact in what happens in the DC Universe

Changing the typical formula like that gives the series an edge, but so does it’s production design. From what’s been seen so far, the series offers some impressive sets and CGI environments that include the original Fortress of Solitude and a faithful recreation of Brainiac. So far, the look of the series is somewhere between Battlestar Galactica and The Expanse, comparisons that are nothing to sneeze at, considering one series helped legitimize SYFY, and the other is one of the network’s most critically acclaimed offerings.

Whether or not Krypton will be received as well as either of those series remains to be seen, but with its connections to the DC Universe and one of the most popular comic book characters of all time, the series may still prove to be a big hit for SYFY.

A featurette of the series is on Youtube - Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOwixcPRUYk

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That particular upload isn't available in Britain, so I'm not sure if it's the brief 90-second featurette or the extended one, as below:

__ Krypton "Making of the Legend" Extended Featurette

_____

The show certainly seems worth trying! Smile

Last edited by Custer on Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed, Custer, the link you posted is for the same 22 minute featurette as the one at Gord's link above.

As for the new series, I was disappointed to see that despite the remarkable shots of Krypton's gleaming futuristic cities near the beginning of the video, the rest of it clearly demonstrate that the series will be about a dark and dystopian period in the planet's history.

I'm not saying that Krypton has to be a bright utopia throughout it's entire history, but I'm not a big fan of stories that deal almost exclusively with an oppressed population suffering under the iron fist of a dictatorship — which is how the featurette seems to portray Krypton (the series and the planet).

Oh, well. Maybe I'm wrong about the series. We'll see.

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emmett J. Scanlon as Lobo in Season 2:

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovIq89FmV10

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say that the name Emmett J. Scanlon means much to me, but I see that he has been in Constantine and Guardians of the Galaxy, as well as The Fall and, er, Hollyoaks? People who use their middle initials are usually better off becoming sf authors, but who can argue with Jim Corrigan, alias The Spectre...?
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Info on season 2 with trailers:

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1001359/Krypton-season-2-release-date-another-series-Superman-Syfy

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure Krypton is going to survive. The ratings are in declining.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame that Supergirl is unable to utilize the sets, costumes, props from Krypton.

It would make it nifty by doing flashbacks on SG of when Kara was growing up. Having the sets & so forth readily available would lower the cost to the budget.

However, since both series are on different networks, and Krypton is not filmed in Vancouver, so much for that idea.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't watched Krypton, so I'm not sure about this, but since it takes place 200 years before the era or Superman and Supergirl, during a "darker" period in the history of the race, wouldn't the sets and the FX have a different flavor?

As I said, I don't really know, because I'm not familiar with the series.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valid points regarding the time periods for Krypton versus Kara's life, Bud.

Sets } Could be lighted differently for SG flashback episodes.
Brighter for one. Plus, they could use gels over the lights for different colors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: