ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mission: Impossible – Fallout (2018)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Mission: Impossible – Fallout (2018) Reply with quote

Back in the Old Days (when I was but one-and-twenty) the James Bond movies dazzled us with hi-tech devices that our hero used to dispatch the bad guys and save the world.

These days, James Bond is no longer into all that. More's the pity . . . Sad

Fortunately Ethan Hunt loves to "science the sh*t out of Mars", so to speak — except that Hunt does it on Earth. And he gets better at it every year. Very Happy

Mission: Impossible — Fallout doesn't try to outdo the MI gadgets to make it better than it's predecessors, nor does it try to outdo the action scenes either. The franchise knows a perfect recipe when it sees it, and it just keeps baking up better and better movies by keeping everything about the same . . . except for the stories.

Somehow they manage to give us stories that are as-good-or-better than the previous ones, and recent audiences have been so pleased by this that they ponied up the dough and rewarded a $178 million movie with a $791 million dollar box office return.

Sweet, eh? Very Happy

One thing I especially liked about this one was the way we got a few of the old hands back again (Simon Pegg and Ving Rhames), along with recent additions like Rebecca Ferguson and Alec Baldwin.

Henry Cavill (that "Strange visitor from another planet") was terrific as the guy that neither we (nor Ethan Hunt) were sure was bad-or-good for most of the movie!

If you haven't seen this movie yet, you've got a treat in store! Very Happy

If you HAVE seen it and didn't like it . . . Gee, I guess you and I don't have much is common. Sad

Either way, here's the trailer.

__________ Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 167 trivia items for this movie. The ones I selected below are from the first 1/3 of the list. I'll probably do another post with selected items from the rest of the list at a later date. Very Happy

~ Tom Cruise trained for an entire year to perform the HALO (High Altitude Low Opening) stunt in this film.

Note from me: Helluva guy, that Tom! Shocked

~Tom Cruise showed some impressive stunt driving skills during filming. The crew filmed four takes of Cruise making the 180-degree turn while driving the BMW M5 down a half-dozen steps on the streets of Paris. Three of the takes were perfect.

In the last 10 degrees of the turn, he had to "turn the steering wheel, step on the clutch, and put the car into first gear in the air." Stunt drivers train their entire lives to do something like that.

Note from me: Like I said . . . helluva guy. Cool

~ The film had 3000 set-ups, 13 helicopters, 6 pregnancies (all different women), 5 hiatuses, 4 weeks of aerial photography, 3 continents, 2 winters, and 1 broken ankle

Note from me: " . . . and a partridge in a pear tree!" :loll:

~ In August 2017, Tom Cruise suffered an injury while filming a stunt jumping from one building to another. He was able to grab onto the other building thanks to a harness strapped onto him and to his history of performing his own stunts for action films.

However, his ankle fractured upon the impact of the jump. Cruise then got up and attempted to run it off, as this was in the middle of a chase scene, before he and the crew decided to stop filming.

Shooting was delayed for eight weeks following the injury. The footage of the stunt used in the film and its trailers just so happens to be the actual injury. To this day, Cruise still refers to this stunt as the easiest of all he's had to do for this film.

Note from me: "Go out there and break a leg, Tom!" (I'm sure the director regretted using the time honored theatrical phrase . . . Embarassed)

~ Rescuing another person in free fall while skydiving is very difficult. Allan Hewitt says that "it takes Accelerated Free Fall instructors over 1,000 jumps to get it right and something like 70% of the people who try to qualify at the instructor level fail. Tom had just 100 jumps to perfect this."

Note from me: Maybe Tom should star in the next Superman movie. I'm beginning to think he could do his flying scenes . . . without wires! Shocked

~ Henry Cavill was offered the role publicly through his Instagram by the director.

Note from me: Perhaps Tom could teach Henry how to fly without wires! Laughing

~ Henry Cavill improvised the arm gun reload moment in the bathroom fight.

Note from me: I suspect Tom was jealous. "Geez, why didn't I think of that?" Confused

~ Tom Cruise did all of his stunts himself.

Note from me: I've get a funny mental image of all the stunt men on the set, sitting around playing cards and wondering if they should just stay home and let SuperTom hog all the glory! Laughing

~ According to Tom Cruise, Luther was supposed to die in the first "Mission: Impossible," but Cruise was against it because he enjoyed the dynamic of Luther and Ethan's friendship.

Note from me: That would have lessened the fun of the first Mission Impossible, and Luther has been a joy to watch in all the later films as well.

~ Rappelling down from the roof of the Grand Palais was the first stunt that Henry Cavill did for this movie. He was really excited, but got a bit nervous once he realized how high the building was

Note from me: "Daily Planet headline: Superman Afraid of Heights! by Lois Lane."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: