ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GUARDIANS (2017 Russia)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: GUARDIANS (2017 Russia) Reply with quote

I watched this movie in the original Russian and found it to be a very enjoyable film. It is a definate take off on the X-MEN concept with a bit of Marvel's Soviet Super Soldiers thrown in. But, BOY is it wild!

The completely bonkers Russian superhero movie Guardians will be released in the United States by Shout! Factory on Blu-ray and DVD. The film came out in Russia in February after wowing the entire world with its crazy trailers featuring an Avengers-like squad of superheroes battling an evil electricity-controlling professor and his army of clones.

Directed by Sarik Andreasyan, Guardians looks for all the world like a Hollywood superhero movie, but with a very distinctive and bizarre Russian twist. The star of the trailers and poster art was the character Arsus, a man who is capable of transforming himself partially or even completely into a bear. Only transforming himself into half-a-bear allows Arsus to open up on his enemies with a bullet-spitting mini-gun while still having a completely intimidating bear-head (it's that kind of movie).

'Bloody Disgusting' reports that Shout! Factory is coming out with a DVD and Blu-ray of Guardians in the United States on September 5, 2017. The synopsis:

"During the Cold War, an organization called Patriot created a super-hero squad, which includes members of multiple soviet republics. For years, the heroes had to hide their identities, but in hard times they must show themselves again."

The defining superpowers of the four superheroes created by Patriot apparently bear some connection to the strengths and traditions of the different nationalities that inhabit the USSR.

Based on the teaser, which revealed scant details about these superhuman creations, it was nearly impossible to tell what was going on.

One of the Guardians is a woman with blue stitching in her neck that glows menacingly, and another Guardian spontaneously sprouts a thick coat of hair on his back. These movie posters clarify the appearances of the four superheroes, but the specifics of their powers ultimately remain ambiguous.

This ferocious brown bear-man named Arsus is the fleshed out visual of the mysterious figure that grew hair on his back in the teaser. The brown bear is an infamous symbol of Russian culture that has been employed in cartoons and other political material since Tsarist society. A bear cub, for example, was the mascot of the 1980 Moscow Olympics, an emblem of Russian fortitude and ferocity. This bear superhero is exactly that: formidable and savage, as seen below by the destruction that ensues when he flexes and roars. You have to admit, we may have a Hulk, but a werebear is pretty cool too.

In addition to Arsus, the other members of the Guardians are a man named Ler who can make rocks levitate, a ninja-like man named Khan who is good with blades and a woman named Xenia who is able to walk on water.

The movie's bad guy August Kuratov pulls off the very supervillain move of inventing a machine that allows him to control other mechanical devices, giving him the ability to disable his enemies' weapons and leaving the country open to attack by his army of clones. Not content with taking over Moscow, Kuratov wants to go into full Bond villain territory by using satellites to transmit his machine-controlling technology over the whole world. Naturally, the Guardians are the only ones who can stop him.

Despite all the excitement over the film's impressive trailers, critics in Russia totally blasted it and though it did have a strong first weekend at the Russian box office it suffered from bad word-of-mouth and its business quickly tailed off.

With impressive special effects and tons of weird action, Guardians looks like another worthy addition to Shout! Factory's already-impressive catalog of cult films, indie flicks, off-beat TV series, animation titles and other various oddities.

A sequel, Guardians 2, has been approved, with Turbo Films, the Chinese distributor of the first film, as a co-production company. It will reportedly be partially shot in China and have some Chinese characters.

Last edited by Gord Green on Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an awesome post for this remarkable movie, Gord! The trailer below is eye-popping, and I'd certainly love to see the film.

By the way, I noticed that the title of the film is listed as just Guardians everywhere except on IMDB. Wikipedia, Rotten Tomatoes, and the Hollywood Report (for example) leave off the "The".

Just FYI. Very Happy

____________________ GUARDIANS - Trailer

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue May 31, 2022 12:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bud!

Corrected it in the header, and thanks for fixing the SSS pic!

Gord
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
Corrected it in the header, and thanks for fixing the SSS pic!

Yeah, like WOW — when was the last time we discovered a mistake in the way IMDB listed a title! Shocked

As for the SSS comic cover, I found a giant version with great detail, so I resized it on my computer to match yours, and then I swapped it out with yours. It was easy!
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Youtube trailer makes me anxious to see it with the english dubbing. I enjoyed this movie in the original Russian, but could only understand very little of it, although the action sequences spoke for themselves and were very impressive.

The ending scene of them meeting on a bridge as they went on their own ways was reminiscent of the ending of Captain America: Civil War with the heroes gathered around Fury's grave.

It is nice to see a foreign take on the genre when it is done so skillfully.

The original Marvel SSS

More art from the pre-production

More movie promotions

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab a look at the compilation of all the trailers for this great movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu6IYb3cdkI

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Святое дерьмо! (Holy crap!) :shock

Gord, this movie is absolutely удивительно! (amazing!)

I hope they release it an America, where it would hopefully do much better than it did in Russia and India. The critics slammed it with comments like this one on Wikipedia.

"It was mainly criticized for having a derivative plot, bad acting and direction, cheap CGI, plot holes and overall low quality."

Cheap CGI? That's crazy! The FX are flawless and stunning. What the hell is wrong with those Ruskies? Are they псих?! (crazy).

Wikipedia also tells this said story about the film's history.

Guardians was released February 23, 2017, on a public holiday in Russia, Defender of the Fatherland Day. On its first day, the movie grossed 83 million RUB, and 213 million RUB in first four days, below early expectations, but still at the top of the weekend box office.

On its second weekend, Guardians box office dropped 90% down to 21 million RUB, and fourth place. The gross kept dropping by 90% every weekend, and Russian media presume that Guardians became a box office bomb.

In July 2017, Enjoy Movies, the production company behind Guardians, filed for bankruptcy, while Cinema Foundation of Russia, which provided part of the budget, sued the company, demanding return of the investment.

Yep, those русские are definitely псих . . . Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just downloaded the English dubbed version and I loved it! It is a different "taste", but a fascinating look at superheroes etc. from a different point of view.

The English version DVD should be available too from Shout.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it from Amazon for $8.70. It will arrive on January 10th. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, folks, I just finished watching my brand new DVD of Guardians, and I now have demonstrative proof that Russians are either stupid or crazy.

They did NOT like this movie . . and yet it's freakin' awesome! Shocked

I was repeatedly amazed by the imaginative story, the fine acting, the flawless special effects, the dynamic music, and the powerful story.

The closest thing to a flaw I found in this spectacular film was the fact that the remarkably effective dubbing tended to make all the voices sound a bit too much like the voice actors were standing right at their microphones — which of course they were, and that was the problem.

However, this made all the dialog very easy to understand (which is good), and I soon stopped noticing it as the movie progressed (which is even better).

Concerning the comment I quoted earlier from the Wikipedia article about what the critic's said:

"It was mainly criticized for having a derivative plot, bad acting and direction, cheap CGI, plot holes and overall low quality."

To those six criticisms, I respond with, "чушь собачья, чушь собачья, чушь собачья, чушь собачья, чушь собачья, and чушь собачья!"

Just plug the Russian phrase I repeated six times into the Russian-to-English translation site below and you'll catch my driftsky, comrades! Very Happy

Russian to English, for Yankee Capitalistic Pigs

Don't forget to click on the speaker icon so you hear a pleasant female voice say the phrase in both Russian and English . . . with the correct attitude in both languages.

I cracked up. Laughing

And for Gorbachov's sake, buy the damn DVD, comrades! Hells Bellsky, it's only 592 rubles! That's just $8.70 in your decadent American currency! Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Bud!

And I really liked the song during the end credits!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The American website called База данных фильмов в Интернете (Internetski Movie Database) has Top Secret information about this glorious Russian masterpiece which was stolen from the KGB by capitalist pigs!

You must memorize them all, comrade . . . and then destroy your compute!

~ This movie was based on Marvel Comics Soviet Super Soldiers published in the 70's.

Note from Ivan Brewski: AH-HA! So, the Yankee dogs must have stolen the idea for the American comic from bootleg copies of the Russian graphic novels smuggled out by CIA operative Stan Lee!

~ The reception of Guardians was overwhelmingly negative. The film was almost universally panned in Russian media. However, In the United Kingdom, it was 2017's third best-selling foreign language film on home video.

Note from Ivan Brewski: This is clear evidence that in Russia, if the government does not like a movie, NOBODY should like it (unless they want a long vacation in Siberia . . . )

~ Initially, before the premiere of the original film and in case of success, a sequel was announced, in which it was supposed to add another superhero from China.

Later, Guardians 2 has been approved, with Turbo Films, the Chinese distributor of the first film, as a co-production company. It will reportedly be partially shot in China and have some Chinese characters

Note from Ivan Brewski: The is clear evidence that in China, if the government DOES LIKE a movie with Chinese heroes, they will make a sequel and sell it to American's who are addicted to superhero movies!

~ On 20 December 2020, in an interview with “Bubble Comics” Sarik Andreasyan was asked why “Guardians 2” never came out and he explained that “Deadpool 2 was to blame for everything."

Note from Ivan Brewski: I'm sure that if we asked Ryan Reynolds why “Guardians 2” never came out, he'd just chuckle and say that the Russian director must have confused Deadpool 2 with Green Lantern. Laughing

~ Prior to the release of the film, a prequel comic was freely distributed at Comic Con Russia in 2016, titled Guardians: Book 1 and containing the story Guardians: The Broken Curtain and lacking any author credits.

Note from Ivan Brewski: Wait . . . there's a Comic Con in Russia!? Shocked

I believe I hear the sound of Nikita Khrushchev rolling over in his grave . . . and pounding his shoe on the coffin lid.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: