ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To Trap a Spy (1966 pilot for U.N.C.L.E.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bud, I was curious if there were a site showing the props at that WorldCon.

Butch, I have the soundtrack to "Ghostbreakers". It was put out by Film Score Monthly a few years back. I always wanted to see it.

I have to add, that another reason for the tag at the end of the episodes, is because people kept asking what U.N.C.L.E. stood for. They kept asking if it was a United Nations organization. Well, the United Nations is a copyrighted name, and can not be used without the U.N.'s permission. So they wanted to clear that up before another law suit came their way! Laughing

David.
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very rare promo card (like those print ads of Star Trek, etc), for Solo, the original The Man From U.C.N.L.E. Note Will Kaluva (as Mr. Allison sitting in chair) instead of Waverly.

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish this six minute video was longer, because it has some very interesting info about the series, along with interviews with Robert Vaughn and David McCallum. Very Happy

The Man From UNCLE: Behind The Scenes of a TV Classic

And this ten minute video is very well made, showing some of the funniest (and sexiest) moments from the series.

The Man From Uncle - IIlya Kuryakin -The Cool Spy

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun Fact } NBC objected to the term THRUSH for the evil organization that would be UNCLE's main nemesis over the 4~year run of the series.

The name presented legal issues due to THRUSH sounding too much like SMERSH from the James Bond films.

In May of 1964 NBC offered the following titles as replacements: SCORPION, TARANTULA, CRUSH,PHANTOM, SPHINX, VULTURE.and MEDUSA among others.

UNCLE producer Sam Rolfe offered: STIGMA, SCOURGE, HAZARD.

Last edited by Pow on Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:24 pm; edited 4 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trivia } TMFU did poorly in the ratings when the series first debuted in 1964.

It was decided that the two leads for the show would go out on tours of selected cities each weekend after filming that week's episode.

This was one of the factors that helped the show.

Such a tactic is commonplace these days, but at that time in the early 60s it was quite original.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Trap a Spy was on TCM last Friday (9/20) I was very impressed by the climax, in which Robert Vaughn and Pat Crowley were hung by their arms from a horizontal pipe in an industrial complex and left to die when it exploded. Steam was filling the room, and the heat was increasing.

Vaughn realized that he might be able to break the pipe loose at a point were two sections were held together with waterproof sealant, not welded, so he wrapped his arms and legs around the pipe and repeatedly kicked out, over and over, desperately trying to separate the sections.

I thought the brave Napoleon Solo would give the pipe a few kicks and escape quickly with the lady. But the scene was filmed much more realistically than I expected. Solo labored to break the pipe for so long that he finally passed out from the heat!

I was impressed by the exciting way the scene was presented, and moments after Solo eventually succeeded, he and the lady staggered out of the area just before a bomb destroyed the complex. It was admirably dramatic.

The trailer for this feature-length UNCLE episode is fun, too!

____________________ (1964) To Trap A Spy

Krel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Trivia } TMFU did poorly in the ratings when the series first debuted in 1964.

It was decided that the two leads for the show would go out on tours of selected cities each weekend after filming that week's episode.

This was one of the factors that helped the show.

Such a tactic is commonplace these days, but at that time in the early 60s it was quite original.

The show's ratings picked up when the college students returned home and discovered the show. David McCallum's character was part of the reason, but Robert Vaughn's character was very popular too. The network wanted more McCallum, and Robert Vaughn was happy to have the reduced work load. He was attending college at night. It also helped that Vaughn and McCallum had good chemistry together.

David.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Trap A Spy was the first of The Man From UNCLE movies. Like all the UNCLE movies, it was put together from two episodes of the television series. The episodes for this film were ‘The Vulcan Affair’ and ‘The Four Steps Affair’. Because they were two separate stories, certain liberties were taken when they were edited together. One of the strangest, is that the villains of the piece are an outfit called WASP. But if you listen carefully and watch the actors lips, you can see that this is an overdub. The villains were originally THRUSH.

The show starts with a car skidding to a halt on Old Post Road in Arlington, Virginia. The driver, who happens to be Agent Lancer (Miguel Landa) from UNCLE has been shot in the stomach.

He staggers from the car and enters an overgrown estate. As he makes his way towards the house, another car pulls up and two armed WASP operatives get out and follow. Lancer makes it to the house and enters, locking the door behind him. He calls for Angela, but nobody responds. He climbs the stairs to the second floor and burns the secret information he was carrying in the fireplace.

Then he phones UNCLE headquarters direct. He passes on the following information to Mr. Allison (Will Kuluva), the head of UNCLE: ‘When the Premier of Western Natsumba visits the plant, they’re going to assassinate…’ The phone line is cut before he can finish his message.

Angela (Luciana Paluzzi) walks into the room. She is shocked to see Lancer this way, and quickly agrees to help him make it out of the house and to a doctors. Their plan is to leave by the top window and climb out over the roof. As Lancer prepares to leave, Angela flicks ona light switch, which aloows Lancer’s silhouette to be clearly seen in the window. One of the WASP goons, armed with a machine gun (earlier they were only carrying pistols!) mows Lancer down.

It appears that Angela wasn’t a nice girl after all, and is working for WASP. But WASP realise that they didn’t stop all of Lancer’s message to UNCLE HQ, and plan to do something about it.

In a brazen attack on Uncle's Headquarters, one of the WASP operatives walks into Del Floras tailors, and throws his overcoat over the security screen. Pretending to be removing his jacket for repairs, he gasses the attendant and then opens the door for three other WASP agents.

They go the fitting room and pull down one of the coat hooks. The secret entrance to UNCLE HQ slides open. One of the men quickly rushes inside and grabs the girl on the reception desk before she can raise the alarm. She is then gassed, rendering her unconcious.

One WASP operative remains in Del Floras. Another takes his position at the reception desk, and the other two, armed with guns and explosive move into HQ towards Mr. Allison’s office.

As the intruders make their way through the complex, they are discovered and an alarm goes off. Three of the WASP agents are captured but one makes it to Allison’s office. But inside he finds Napoleon Solo (Robert Vaughn) protected by walls of bullet proof glass. Solo quickly navigates the maze of glass and shoots the intruder.

After the incident, Mr Allison briefs Solo on his new mission. He is take over from Agent Lancer. It appears that the Premier of Western Natsumba, Ashumen (William Marshall) is in America to visit the chemical plant of Andrew Vulcan (Fritz Weaver). The Premier believes that Vulcan plans to build a similar plant in his small country and welcomes the investment.

The truth, though, is rather more sinister. Vulcan’s Global Chemical Corporation is a front for WASP, and when the Premier tours the plant WASP will assassinate him.

Solo enlists the aid of average American housewife, Elaine May Donaldson (Patricia Crowley) in his bid to thwart Vulcan. At college, Elaine used to go out with Vulcan, and all these years later he still carries a torch for her. Solo uses her to get close to Vulcan quickly, which she does successfully.

To Trap A Spy is a pretty sprightly movie, but it’s television origins are obvious. If you’re a fan of The Man From UNCLE series, then of course, this film will be highly entertaining. But if you’re looking for big screen adventure and thrills with amazing stunts, cool gadgets, and an explosive finale then you may be dissapointed in this production.

There was a number of toy guns and spy gear available for budding espionage fans to learn their trade. None of these would be "politicaly correct" today. Too bad...They were lots of fun!

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Fun Fact } NBC objected to the term THRUSH for the evil organization that would be UNCLE's main nemesis over the 4~year run of the series.

The name presented legal issues due to THRUSH sounding to much like SMERSH from the James Bond films.

SMERSH was the name of an actual Soviet counter-espionage agency that existed from 1942 to 1946. Was the network afraid of being sued by the Soviet government?

Bud Brewster wrote:
Vaughn realized that he might be able to break the pipe loose at a point where two sections were held together with waterproof sealant, not welded, so he wrapped his arms and legs around the pipe and repeatedly kicked out, over and over, desperately trying to separate the sections.

THRUSH should have sued the contractors who built that installation. Didn't they believe in threading pipes together?
Krel.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:

SMERSH was the name of an actual Soviet counter-espionage agency that existed from 1942 to 1946. Was the network afraid of being sued by the Soviet government?

No, they were afraid of being sued by United Artists...Again!

There had already been legal troubles over the name Solo, which caused the show to go from being named "Solo", to "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.". MGM didn't want another round of musical law suits.

David.
Krel.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
There was a number of toy guns and spy gear available for budding espionage fans to learn their trade. None of these would be "politicaly correct" today. Too bad...They were lots of fun!

Even back in the 60's there were places where toy guns couldn't be sold, like New York City. Look at old Christmas catalogs, in the toy gun section, they list the places where they can't be sold.

It's worse today. A toy company wanted to market a toy phaser from the new Star Trek show. They showed it off, it was beautiful. They dropped the plans, after gearing up for production, because they couldn't be sold in California, New York and one or two other places.

Earlier in the year an idea for a model raygun based on a Luger pistol. I figure no problem, I'll just use a water pistol. I remember in years past seeing Luger squirt guns that were pretty much full-size, good enough for a model. Starting in the spring, through the summer, I checked every store I could find, but no luck. I didn't see ANY squirt guns based on a real firearm! That's how bad it has gotten.

David.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's part of Cleveland Amory's TV Guide review of the show.

"Actually, if this show were worse it would be better---then you could laugh at it on the way through and not be irritated, as you are by now, by occasional moments in which you find yourself, in spite of yourself, concerned for some character."

"We realize of course, that The Man From U.N.C.L.E. is a take off on the whole cycle of tough-guy detective sagas in general and the James Bond stories in particular. The trouble is, in a nutshell, it's a take off which doesn't come off."

"For all the production involved---and it is considerable---and for all the fast pace and gimmickry there just isn't enough charm; and charm, as all good Bond fans know, is the ingredient needed to walk this perilous line between rea menace and fun."

"In fact we saw one enemy agent keel over who we'll swear was neither knifed, shot, slugged, machine-gunned nor gassed---he was, we are certain, bored to death."

"Part of the trouble is the writing. But the casting too must share the blame. It's not enough."

"One show credited Sam Rolfe as 'writer' and 'developer.' Another credited him as 'developer' and 'producer.' Our theory is he's working for THRUSH."

Sidebar: Ouch! Obviously Amory was not a fan, then again, this review was for the first season of UNCLE. Sometimes as a series would go on to other seasons, Amory would re-review it, and sometimes on the second time around he would give it a more favorable review. Sometimes. Although I don't know if he ever did that for UNCLE.

Sidebar: As I posted earlier, I had been a huge fan of the series as a kid. Watching a few episodes as an adult I've found the show disappointing and dated. I do disagree with Amory regarding his criticism of the casting. I felt that Robert Vaughn & David McCallum were marvelous in their respective roles as Solo & Kuryakin. They were an important part of why the series was such a massive hit at that time. It suffered with its subpar scripting, although there were some intriguing stories along the way. But it never suffered because of the casting of the leads.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted earlier about how my friends & I were huge UNCLE fans when the show first debuted, but how time has not been kind to the series. I did just happen to watch an episode yesterday that makes me have to amend that previous statement. Time hasn't been entirely kind to the show, however, there are some episodes that do remain quite entertaining today.

I watched "The Mad, Mad Tea Party Affair," from February, 1, 1965. "Prior to an important conference at U.N.C.L.E. headquarters, a bizarre series of events occurs revolving around a strange man, Mr. Hemingway (Richard Haydn), who keeps appearing and disappearing at will in the building." --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sidebar: This episode was quite entertaining and possessed a mystery, suspense, and enemy agents, with some good humor that worked for the situation but wasn't outlandish or silly. The first season of the series is probably its finest, so there are some worthwhile episodes to be sure. Like many first season TV series, UNCLE was exploring different styles in finding itself. That made it fresh and enjoyable. Like most TV series, unfortunately, it would discover a certain formula and slip into it week after week becoming stale. UNCLE's third season remains its worst ever. The producers noted the immense success of the huge hit Batman with its comedic-camp style of over-the-top humor. They decided to copy Batman (as did Irwin Allen's Lost In Space). It reduced UNCLE to a joke, you could no longer willingly suspend your disbelief at the ridiculous cartoon antics of n espionage show that once started with such promise.
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I've met Pat Crowley. Nice lady. Now 89 years old, she's retired from acting and goes by her married name of Pat Friendly. (Yes, I'm sure she's heard all the jokes.)
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's so nifty that you have met Pat, always thought she was very pretty and had a wonderful personality. Had a crush on her when she was on her Please Don't Eat the Daisies sitcom that ran for 2 seasons from 1965 to 1967.

On the first season episode "Say Uncle," January 11, 1966 we see Robert Vaughn & David McCallum guest star. On the second season episode "Remember Lake Serene," February 18, 1967 it's Stephanie Powers who guest stars as her April Dancer character on The Girl From U.N.C.L.E.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: