ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

All Sci-Fi needs help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: All Sci-Fi needs help! Reply with quote

All Sci-Fi needs a little help. Message boards aren’t seeing the activity levels they did just a few years ago. Even the mammoth Classic Horror Film Board is a shadow of it’s former self, with far fewer daily posts than it used to get.

However, All Sci-Fi is attracting both guests and members who don’t bother to log in — the folks who just want to enjoy the great contributions by our members without adding any posts of their own.

In fact, we’re getting as much “tourist traffic” as the legendary Classic Horror Film Board, and I can prove it!

I just checked the statistics listed at tbe bottom of the main indexes at both All Sci-Fi and Classic Horror Film Board to compare, and here's what it says.

All Sci-Fi

* In total there are 30 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 29 Guests

CHFB

* In total there are 29 users online :: 5 registered, 1 hidden and 23 guests

Bear in mind that All Sci-Fi has 137 members . . . but CHFB has 9,122. Wow! Shocked

And yet, our little board is getting just as many folks who like what they see and drop in to read the threads. That’s amazing!

Please help me keep All Sci-Fi active and interesting. It’s a group effort, folks.

Bud

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I continue to be impressed by the fact that despite All Sci-Fi's relatively small number of members, we get just as many "guests" dropping in to read our threads as the other boards which have far more members than we do!

Bear in mind that "guest" can either be non-members OR members who don't bother to log in. Very Happy

Here's the numbers I just found on All Sci-Fi and three other successful message boards, just minutes ago.

ALL SCI-FI — total members = 137

In total there are 22 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 21 Guests

CLASSIC HORROR FILM BOARD — total members = 9,122

~ In total there are 30 users online :: 6 registered, 1 hidden and 23 guests

NAUTILUS SUBMARINE — total members = 2,968

~ In total there are 5 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest

ALIEN SOUP — total members = 11,621

~ total users online: 53 — (members: 1, guests: 52)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned above, I've discovered that every day of the week, All Sci-Fi has 20-or-more "guests" on line at any given moment who are enjoying the things this board has to offer. But 90% of the time, I'm the only member who is logged in! Shocked

As the site admin, I can check to see which forums these guests are looking at. Here's a screen shot of the admin page that shows the location of this morning's guests when the total number was 24. The screenshot only shows 12 of them.

Notice that these 12 guests were in 7 different forums, so they were obviously enjoying the large range of categories our board covers.

I appreciate the attention we're getting, but it would help if somebody other than me and our small group of loyal members actually ADDED a few posts occasionally.

Heck, how long does it take to say, "Nice post, Wacka-Doodle 2001! Thanks for sharing that interesting info!" Very Happy

Just coming to All Sci-Fi and enjoying the posts without contributing something is like standing on the deck of the Titanic and enjoying the band that's playing . . . while the ship is sinking!

Message boards are dying because people aren't taking the time to contribute to the websites, even if it's just a few words of encouragement to other members! Shocked

Come on, guys! Support the cause! Do your duty! Stand up and be counted. Aunt Samantha Wants You!

____
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today is Monday, January 21st, and throughout the day we've had dozens of quests dropping in to enjoy our posts. The number of quests have fluctuated between 20 and 30 at any given time . . . but we've had very few members actually log in, much less post anything. Sad

Ah well, I've come to accept the fact that All Sci-Fi has a sizable number of people who enjoy what we have to offer, so the contributions of our members actually have a loyal and consistent following.

I just wish our registered members would take a few moments to add new comments. I'm sure some of the "quests" are actually registered members who don't bother to log in, they just stop by to enjoy everything All Sci-Fi has to offer.

However, I'm happy to know that we've got many fellow science fiction fans who visit All Sci-Fi each day and read our comments.

But I continue to hope that our registered members will do a bit more to help me keep the board active and interesting.

Bud

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't feeling very energetic today, and after adding the Featured Threads I was about to log out and just watch TV for a while.

Then I noticed this at the bottom of the main index.

In total there are 56 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 55 Guests

Holy mackerel! With that many people perusing All Sci-Fi I figured I better get busy and add a few posts!

If you're a registered member and you post from time to time, rest assured that your contributions are being enjoyed by more folks than you realize! Very Happy

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been busy checking out universities to attend. I'm posting when I can.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie, you've been one of All Sci-Fi's most loyal and creative members since you were eleven years old! I remember when Butch ask me what member name you should have when you joined, and I suggested "Eadie", a character from The Space Children. He said you like it . . . Very Happy

Eadie, your comments are usually brief, but they often spring wonderful surprises on us! You ask fascinating questions we never thought of, you share beautiful pictures we've never seen, and you present new videos that both amuse and amaze.

Your most recent Youtube post is a perfect example! Shocked

Ounce-for-ounce, your contributions pack a punch like few other member's posts do, and I'm always grateful that a busy and popular teenage girl — with a social life few of us nerds had at your age! — takes the time to drop in on All Sci-Fi and gladden the hearts of older folks who take comfort in knowing that you enjoy sharing your unique insights, your youthful enthusiasm, and your remarkable knowledge of this genre we all love.

It's obvious that Butch and your father have done a fine job of passing on the "sci-fi torch" to you . . . The Next Generation.

Please post whenever you can, Miss Eadie. Your contributions are worth the wait! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Contact All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: