ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Battle of Sherman's Planet
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Original Sci-Fi Novels and Short Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HFG by trekriffic, on Flickr

Last edited by trekriffic on Fri May 03, 2019 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a "drone" in this chapter the same as the "probes" the Enterprise would launch? I might be forgetting a reference to that, several chapters back.

By the way, would it help the readers differentiate between speakers if one speaker's text is white and the other's is light blue? A third speaker could be light green.

Just a thought. Very Happy

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A drone is similar to a probe but is slightly larger with more capabilities; weaponry being one of them. Tatenen launched it at the time he ordered the anti-proton beam pulse. Normally such launches are detectable but the pulse effectively blinds enemy sensors.
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haste by trekriffic, on Flickr

Low Opinion by trekriffic, on Flickr

Perhaps Not by trekriffic, on Flickr

Protect and Defend by trekriffic, on Flickr
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suicide Mission by trekriffic, on Flickr
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Value of Pi by trekriffic, on Flickr

Ten Minutes by trekriffic, on Flickr

Last edited by trekriffic on Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a complex and engaging story, trekriffic!

The fact that you have to tell it using only dialog, descriptions of events, and photos prevents you from doing what the movies and shows do too often these days — splash special effects all over the screen while rockin' the joint with sound effects and music. Very Happy

Just to offer something other than praise, I'll offer a little constructive criticism. Although TOS wasn't exactly a supporter of the "Me Too" movement, TNG and the other Trek series had strong female characters.

I just mean that the women in TOS episodes tended to be either delightful eye candy or somebody's love interest. Virtually no female captains, admirals, scientists, or government leaders (human or alien) — with some few notable exceptions, of course.

I assume your narrative is comprised mostly of guys to make it consistent with TOS. Besides, since you're getting most of your photos from TOS episodes, there aren't many gals you can put in the story who would be crucial to a plot like this one.

Am I right? Or are you planning to eventually throw in some Romulan women get into a cat fight with a few Klingon babes? (I'm just being silly about that last part, naturally. Laughing)

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Quite a complex and engaging story, trekriffic!

The fact that you have to tell it using only dialog, descriptions of events, and photos prevents you from doing what the movies and shows do too often these days — splash special effects all over the screen while rockin' the joint with sound effects and music. Very Happy

Just to offer something other than praise, I'll offer a little constructive criticism. Although TOS wasn't exactly a supporter of the "Me Too" movement, TNG and the other Trek series had strong female characters.

I just mean that the women in TOS episodes tended to be either delightful eye candy or somebody's love interest. Virtually no female captains, admirals, scientists, or government leaders (human or alien) — with some few notable exceptions, of course.

I assume your narrative is comprised mostly of guys to make it consistent with TOS. Besides, since you're getting most of your photos from TOS episodes, there aren't many gals you can put in the story who would be crucial to a plot like this one.

Am I right? Or are you planning to eventually throw in some Romulan women get into a cat fight with a few Klingon babes? (I'm just being silly about that last part, naturally. Laughing)

Funny you mention Klingon babes, there will be some once we hear from the colonial transport. As far as my interpretation of how women were portrayed in the series I have tended to stick with the cheese-cake attitudes of the time, but there were instances in the show where women did more than just look pretty or provide a love interest. In my “novella” for instance Uhura makes the connection between the jamming frequencies being the same as those used by the Romulans in their previous encounter with them which is a crucial discovery. And on the original show Episode, “Mirror, Mirror”, it was Unura who Kirk gave the vital mission of distracting Sulu when the alarm beacon went off on his console. So Uhura seemed to be the strongest of the female characters. And let’s not forget the strong female leaders of the underground resistance in the TOS episode “The Cloud Minders”.

Anyway, having said that, I’m still thinking of having a dream sequence with Kirk where Rand, well, it might be just a little racy. So I will still lean towards the old stereotypes to be consistent with the times for most characters (especially when it comes to Rand) in most instances with a few exceptions since I do think women can be as strong as men.
Wink Cool
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your reasons for keeping your story consistent with the culture that spawned TOS. It's entirely appropriate.

Furthermore, I think it's sort of a cheat when modern films and TV series "update" history by having women from periods in the past suddenly becoming emancipated and being portrayed as if they weren't repressed and considered "the weaker of the sexes". It ignores the struggle that women faced to be treated as equals.

I'm not saying I don't enjoy strong female heroes and super-heroes in modern productions. I'm just saying that we shouldn't forget that the movies which are set well in the past are portraying "what should have been". But it's great that today's young women can be inspired by these portrayals of what is becoming reality and what is possible in the future. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In TOS women were always portrayed as strong individuals, even if they used their sexual qualities in various ways to manipulate the male characters (Ellan of Troyus comes to mind, but there were many others. I'd like to forget about Dr. Lester in "Turnabout Intruder" or consider her an extreme aberration!).

In the series women were still being viewed by the audience in the terms of the 60's with hints of what was developing socially. Uhura was so much more than just a "telephone operator!!

Your portrayal of female characters is multi-layered and not outside the portrayals of the OS, but hinting at so much more.

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This IS going to be "politially incorrect":

I agree — particularly when comes to negroes */blacks/Afro-Americans.

Many historical movies and TV shows portray them as if they were transferred by The Time Tunnel (1966 - 1977) into said historical period and acting as if they were either Dr. Anthony Newman or Dr. Douglas Phillips. At least Roots (ABC January 23 – January 30, 1977), Roots: The Next Generation (ABC February 18 –February 24, 1979) and Roots: The Gift (ABC December 11, 1988) managed to portray the historical period and their social times accurately!

* The correct term used before the late 1600s.
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile...

Weregild by trekriffic, on Flickr
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treat by trekriffic, on Flickr
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hammer by trekriffic, on Flickr
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nail by trekriffic, on Flickr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Original Sci-Fi Novels and Short Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 8 of 14

Jump to: