ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rampage (2018)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:52 am    Post subject: Rampage (2018) Reply with quote

. .

The sci-fi element revolves around the practice of gene editing. Rogue experiments have been conducted aboard a space station, which for some reason is falling out of orbit. This releases three containers of gene-edited pathogens, which find their way into three different animals Earthside. One of these is an albino gorilla raised from its youth by Dwayne Johnson's character. The two communicate by signing.

While the effects are top drawer, the action ubiquitous, and the sound (in an Imax theater) a good ride in itself, I was disappointed in Jeffrey Dean Morgan's acting. His character was essentially the same as Negan from The Walking Dead series, but packing a pistol instead of Lucille. Whether this was his own idea or the director's, it should have been nixed by somebody with better sense and higher authority.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go see this one soon. It looks good!

Hey, I didn't know albino apes had blue eyes like Paul Newman! I thought albinos had pink eyes.

_________________ RAMPAGE Trailer 3 (2018)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the gorilla wears blue contact lenses...?

And let us duly note that the movie is actually based on the video game, which goes back as far as 1986 apparently.

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's what's referred to nowadays as a "good popcorn movie". Nothing deep. Hollywood has gotten pretty good at doing CGI apes.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Rampage (2018) Reply with quote

I saw this fine movie at the theater and thoroughly enjoyed it. No complaints whatsoever. Very Happy

Dwayne Johnston is the rightful heir to Arnold Schwarzenegger's crown as the King of sci-fi/fantasy/action.

For example, so far we've gotten these.

Star Trek: Voyager — The Champion

The Mummy Returns (2001) (small role)

The Scorpion King (2002)

Get Smart (2008)

Race to Witch Mountain (2009)

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012)

G.I. Joe: Retaliation (2013)

San Andreas (2015)

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017)

Rampage (2018)

Skyscraper (2018)

And several more that are currently in production.

Untitled Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle Sequel (filming) (2019)

San Andreas 2 (announced)

Doc Savage (announced)

Big Trouble in Little China (announced) Jack Burton (rumored)

About that last one . . . as much as I love Dwayne, I can't see him as Jack Burton. Kurt Russell was perfect, but Dwayne . . . doesn't seem right for the same reason Arnold wouldn't be either. Shocked

As for Dwayne's role in Rampage, he was just fine! His interactions with the big white monkey-monster are wonderful, and I totally bought the Mighty Joe Young relationship. Very Happy

I should mention a minor correction concerning a statement orzel-w made in his post above.

orzel-w wrote:
The sci-fi element revolves around the practice of gene editing. Rogue experiments have been conducted aboard a space station, which for some reason is falling out of orbit.

No, the space station is not "falling out of orbit".

The jaw-dropping opening scene (which orzel-w seems have missed) shows the station's interior badly damaged, most of the crew is dead (and dismembered), and a giant genetically-altered rat chasing the terrified female survivor while she desperately tries to retrieve samples of the "rouge experiments" — because some bitchy lady scientist at mission control has remotely locked a hatch and won't let the poor astronaut enter the escape pod until she brings the samples back the Earth!

Man, that sucks! Sad

Forced to risk her life to get the sample canisters before she can leave the doomed space station, she actually succeeds to get the samples and makes it back to the escape pod!

Hurray! Very Happy

Right? Confused

Wrong! Sad

The space station blows up while the brave lady astronaut zooms off in the escape pod . . . only to have the damaged porthole shatter because of cracks the giant rat made when it gnawed at the Plexiglas just before the pod ejected!

Anyway, like I said . . . there's no "falling out of orbit for some reason" in this movie. I just wanted to clarify that this story doesn't have plot holes like that to criticize. Cool

As I mentioned, the "Might Joe Young" relationship between the big ape called George ("of the jungle", so to speak) and Dwayne is a joy to watch. The addition of the sign language communication method was brilliant. It convinces us that George understands Dwayne without out having to believe that a gorilla can understand English.

Yes, I know . . . animals like dogs and chimpanzees can understand spoken English. But they can't talk back, and that's what George does in this movie. We get to watch actual conversations between George and Dwayne, and those scenes are delightful! Very Happy

In an early scene, we see Dwayne explain to George that the young male gorilla in the group is the victim of African poachers who destroyed his entire family. From that scene we realize that both George and Wayne are the noble heroes of this story.

In my opinion, this movie and the 1998 remake of Mighty Joe Young would make the perfect double feature, and if my old pal, the late Bulldogtrekker was still with us, he and I could enjoy those two movies together on a rainy and cold February afternoon like today!

Just a thought, guys.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A highly enjoyable movie on Blu-ray for only $5.88. So . . . what the hell . . . I ordered it today.

That's a no-brainer, guys!

~ The Space Children (1958)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: