ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Creature With the Atom Brain (1955)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Creature With the Atom Brain (1955) Reply with quote

_________

Nice creepy little sci-fi yarn about a scientist who creates robot-men by sawing open the heads of corpses and installing "atomic brains".

No grisly operations are shown, just the Frankenstein-like results, complete with a gruesome line of stitches running 'round their heads. Gangsters put the super-strong automatons to work as hit men. The atomic zombies can bend steel bars and walk through a hail of bullets.

A very low budget film, but not entirely without action. In the climax, a half-dozen zombies march against a group of policemen and army personnel.

The cast includes Richard Denning ("The Creature from the Black Lagoon") and Tristram Coffin ("King of the Rocket Men"). Directed by Edward L. Cahn from a screenplay by Curt Siodmak.

Cahn followed this one with several low-budget (but enjoyable) horror and sci-fi films, including "Curse of the Faceless Man" and "It! The Terror from Beyond Space".

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:58 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed this one when I was a kid, but a friend told me about it when we saw pictures in Famous Monsters of Filmland. Naturally his description of it, seen through the eyes of a seven-year-old and related to a monster-lovin' buddy several years later, made it sound pretty damn good.

Sadly I was less impressed a few decades later when I finally saw it on television. But the trailer below makes the movie seem like the one my friend described, and the picture quality of the trailer is very good.

If you're familiar with VeeHD and you know how to download movies from them, they offer an 849 MB version. The trailer put me in the mood to see this one again, so I'm downloading it now.

Creature With the Atom Brain

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:37 am; edited 5 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm attempting to put my VeeHD download of this movie (which took four hours to get!) on YouTube so it will be available to everybody. It's currently uploading now, and if this works, I might be able to give All Sci-Fi's Friday Live Chat a real shot in the arm.

Damn, I don't know why I didn't think of this before. Shocked

If I can upload some of the movies I have (the less well-guarded ones, copyright-wise), then we'll have that "central source, available to everybody" that I mentioned in another post.

Update: It uploaded just fine . . . but Youtube determined that it was a copyright violation, so I had to delete it. Sorry, guys. I was sure hoping I could provide lots of movies for us on Youtuble Sad

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has seven trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

~ One of the first films to use squibs to simulate gunshot wounds

Note from me: "Mr. Director, we want to put these small explosives on the actors' chest to blow holes in their clothes when they get shot. We're sure it's safe. Is that okay?" Confused

~ Columbia booked this across the United States as a standard double bill with It Came from Beneath the Sea (1955)

Note from me: "Well, kids, that first movie about the guys with atom brains was kinda dull. You're mom is sleepy, so let's go home and skip the drive-in's second feature. I'm mean. come on . . . a giant octopus? Sounds prettydumb, right?" Rolling Eyes

~ Sony Pictures Home Entertainment released the film on DVD in October 2007 as part of the two-disc, four-film set Icons of Horror Collection: Sam Katzman, along with three other films produced by Katzman (The Werewolf, The Giant Claw and Zombies of Mora Tau).

Note from me: The Werewolf was double-billed with Earth vs the Flying Saucers in 1956, and I saw them together at the Roosevelt Drive-in. The picture below was allegedly taken earlier that afternoon, but the government covered it up! Shocked

]

Hey, I know what you folks are thinking! Sad

Yes, this really IS the Roosevelt Drive-in in College Park, GA, where I grew up!

Yes, those really ARE flying saucers! Shocked

Yes, this photo DOES look like something I might have created with Paint.net! But would I lie to you guys?__

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a great double feature, complete with vintage drive-in "welcome messages", two terrific trailers, a Three Stooges episode, and then the double feature!

"So, get comfortable, folks! Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the show!" Very Happy

Enjoy!
_

RICHARD DENNING SCI FI DRIVE-IN DOUBLE FEATURE - TARGET EARTH and CREATURE WITH THE ATOM BRAIN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: