ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

R. I. P., Master Music Maker - André Previn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: R. I. P., Master Music Maker - André Previn Reply with quote

https://www.thewrap.com/andre-previn-oscar-winning-composer-of-my-fair-lady-dies-at-89/

André Previn, a French, Oscar-winning musician and composer who worked on the music for the film version of the Best Picture winner My Fair Lady, has died, his manager told the New York Times. He was 89.

Previn died on Thursday in his home in Manhattan. He was a four-time Oscar winner who also won for his musical work on Gigi, Porgy & Bess and Irma la Douce. Previn was also the only person in Oscar history to ever be nominated for three Oscars in a single year, in 1961 when he was twice nominated for the film score adaptations of Elmer Gantry and Bells are Ringing and was also nominated for Best Original Song for Faraway Part of Town for the film Pepe.

Previn’s manager did not immediately respond to TheWrap’s request for comment.

Beyond his work scoring films, Previn was well known as a jazz pianist and conductor, collaborating with Ella Fitzgerald, Duke Ellington and his fifth wife, violinist Anne-Sophie Mutter. He’s also the winner of 10 Grammy awards and one Lifetime Achievement Award from the Recording Academy. He served as the Principal Conductor and Conductor Emeritus for the London Symphony Orchestra.

“We are deeply saddened to hear of the death this morning of our Conductor Emeritus André Previn,” the London Symphony Orchestra said in a statement on Twitter along with a tribute. “He will be hugely missed by everyone at the LSO and remembered with great affection. May he always play all the right notes in the right order.”

In March 2006, Previn won the Glenn Gould Prize for “the musical excellence of a rare few.”

“Maestro Previn’s remarkable body of work and wide range of talents certainly make him a member of this exclusive club,” the foundation’s president Merle Kriss said at the time via Previn’s website: http://www.andre-previn.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: