ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad news for Imgur users . . .

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Bad news for Imgur users . . . Reply with quote

Imgur has changed the way the site works . . . except that mostly is DOESN'T work! Sad

Its called Beta, and it makes everything much more difficult. In fact, things which used to be possible (like rearranging the albums) can no longer be done!

I examined the new format for hours today to be sure I understood how it worked, so this isn't just a matter of being unfamiliar with this new format. But it's poorly designed, very hard to use, and not capable of doing important things the old format did just fine.

There's suppose to be a way to leave feedback about the new format and then use a button to switch your account back to the old way, but the instructions online, which look like this —

How do I opt out/change it back?

You can find the option to leave the beta within your Imgur profile. After sending your feedback, click the "leave beta" button to return to the old experience.

— don't work!

I've sent numerous emails to technical support, and hopefully their other users will object this change as well and they abandoned this dumb-ass idea!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I signed on there was a pop-up asking if I wanted to try the beta, but I just clicked "no thanks, maybe later" and it stayed on the original page. All my options remained the same with no changes.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
When I signed on there was a pop-up asking if I wanted to try the beta, but I just clicked "no thanks, maybe later" and it stayed on the original page. All my options remained the same with no changes.

Great! I'm so glad!

I never got the choice. I made some posts early this morning, and everything was fine! But later on I suddenly noticed that I no longer had an "albums" button, so I couldn't access them any longer!

Since I have the log-in data for both Butch and Bulldogtrekker, I checked their accounts and found they didn't have the "albums" buttons either!

After working on this disturbing problem today for several hours, I eventually learned that Imgur was trying to switch us all to their idiotic "Beta" format, which makes drastic and horrible changes like those I described above.

Unless Imgur realizes that this idea is dumber than Tabasco sauce on a strawberry snow cone, they're going to force this change on us eventually, because the Imgur online sites I went to talked about how they wanted our feedback before the "final launch" of the format in near future! Shocked

We all know that Imgur's old format is far from perfect, but this new one is an abomination that makes it impossible for me to perform actions I routinely do on All Sci-Fi, and if they don't switch back to the old format, I'm going to have to find another way to handle my images.

Damn . . . just when I thought I had All Sci-Fi is good working order, this new problem is very troubling. Sad

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imgur support says they can't change my account back to the old way. And from what I've read on Imgur forums, once they get finished making all the dumb changes I'm now saddled with, everybody's account will be changed.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Sad

And so far I've discovered about a dozen missing albums in my Imgur account, include all the ones with artwork in them!

Fortunately the jpegs are still being displayed in the art galleries, so Imgur must have the damn things SOMEWHERE, they just are in my own account!

Dammit!!!!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news!

Our technical genius, Raj Patel, spent twenty minutes with me on the phone, using a program called TeamViewer to take control of my laptop and show how to get around Imgur's moronic alterations to make sure all my images were still there, as well as how to use Imgur effectively, despite the stupid changes they made.

That man is a genius!!! Very Happy

I also forked over $137 to secure my old Photobucket account for one year as a backup, so that I could use it as well until Raj sets up my web server on Dreamhost with its own image hosting section, the way the late Randy Everett did for all his images for All Sci-Fi back when he was hosting us on his personal server.

So, ladies and gents, All Sci-Fi has been triumphant yet again in the face of evil forces which threatened our smooth operations! Cool

Now if I just figure out how to get our 137 members to be a little more active and help me keep the board alive and well during these dark times in the world of cyberspace. Rolling Eyes

Meanwhile, I'll continue to plug along by entertaining the 20+ "guests" we have each-and-every day, those wonderful people who evidently enjoy my own clever posts and the others which our small but loyal group of members continue to add.

Remember, folks, our motto is —

We're All Sci-Fi. We never say die!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a step-by-step description of the OTHER way to find and use images in the albums without having to use the flawed Albums section until it's fixed. Butch will find this helpful, I think.

STEP 1 ~ Depending on which of the two pages shown below you happen to start on, put the cursor over your username OR the blue circle in the upper right corner to get the menu, as shown below.

Click on images.

STEP 2 ~ On the Images page, click on the "down arrow" to bring down the menu (as shown in Step 3 picture below).

STEP 3 ~ This will display a list of your albums, shown in the order they were arranged when Imgur started screwing around and messed things up. Rolling Eyes

STEP 4 ~ Scroll down until you find the album you want, such as my Forbidden Planet 1 album, as shown below. (I usually use my browser's "find" feature to go right to the album, by name.)

STEP 5 ~ Click on the name of the album and you'll get thumbnails of all the images in it. If you want to add an image to that particular album from your computer, click on the green rectangle with "add images".

If you need to edit an image or get the BB code to post it, click on the image to view it and see the list of codes (as shown in the Step 6 image).

STEP 6 ~ The BB codes are on the right, and the one indicated by the green arrow is the one All Sci-Fi needs. Once you've clicked on the blue "copy" box, click on the X indicated by the red arrow to close the image display window.

WARNING: Do NOT hit the "back arrow" at any point, because that will take you to the page below, and you'll have to start all over again! (Gee, thanks Imgur . . . Rolling Eyes)

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imgur users BEWARE!

I went to add the Hellboy (2019) images and there is now a beta version of the site!.

Look for the very small button on the lower right to get out of this silly mess.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eventually they're changing everybody over to the Beta version. I thought they already had. When I go to Butch's account, it's already Beta on my computer. And I can't change mine back. I've tried. I hate it and I've emailed them to tell them so repeatedly. Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Contact All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: