ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Orville (2017)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked the last episode, but one thing bothered me. They had a battle on the Orville, and they did something most SF shows do, I started noticing this with The Next Generation. That is slow firing rayguns. Do these weapons have to recharge after every shot? They fire, wait a few seconds and either fire again, or more likely get shot themselves before they can get off another shot. If their weapons are incapable of rapid fire they would be better served by a old fashion firearm. At least with a firearm they could do rapid fire, or even full automatic fire.

This show continues to show why you shouldn't bring families on exploratory missions, or even on a military ship at all. It's stupid. We're going out into unknown territories were we could be into battles that could get the ship destroyed. I know! Lets bring the spouses and kiddies along with us to die!

David.
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!!

https://tvline.com/2019/02/28/orville-recap-season-2-episode-9-earth-war-with-kaylons/

Recap: OK, Buddy, Time to Wash Your Mouth Out With Gordon!

Coming out of Part 1 of The Orville‘s Identity, we were left to wonder if Isaac perhaps was playing the long game and waiting for the right time to usurp his Kaylin kinfolk, or if the invading synthetic species would ultimately be thwarted by being “powered down” en masse a la The Avengers, Independence Day and, apparently, Star Trek: The Next Generation.

The answer delivered in Part 2 this Thursday, it turned out, was … a bit of both.

With the entire crew sequestered inside the shuttle bay and guarded by Kaylons, Ed and Kelly were summoned by Primary to come to the bridge and field a hail from an arriving Union starship. In doing so, Ed explained to Captain Tony Almeida that the Kaylons had agreed to join the Union and, well, are big into pageantry, hence the massive armada. Ed tried to slip a coded S.O.S. to his colleague, using the term “13-button salute,” but Primary caught on and had the other starship blasted to smithereens before they could call for help.

For good measure, Primary had a rando red shirt jettisoned out an airlock while Ed looked on in horror and despite Isaac’s measured protests. Afterward, Primary — sensing sympathy for the organics from Isaac — pointed out that humans have a history of enslaving “others,” using a copy of Alex Hayley’s Roots as an example. Isaac downloads the tome but contends that was a different time, and that he sees no such traits, especially in the children he has met.

When Ed returns to the shuttle bay, Kelly shares her idea to sneak out a shuttle and make tracks for Krill space, to solicit their adversary’s help in defeating a common enemy. To that end, Yaphit oozes into a Jefferies tube to get to the armory and snatch a gun, which Bortis uses to take out the guards watching over them. With Kelly riding shotgun, Gordon then pilots the shuttle just past the quickly closing bay doors. A Kaylon battleship peels off in pursuit, but Gordon loses it by diverting all the ship’s power into the thrusters, or something. They land in Krill space, powerless, but soon enough get reeled in via tractor beam, by a Krill cruiser. Inside, they plead their case to a Captain Dalak, who is at first skeptical — until the Kaylon battleship pops up on the radar.

Back on the Orville, the crew was determined to get a warning to Earth, and that involved both Yaphit and Claire’s younger son, Ty, crawling through the Jefferies tube to the comms room, where the former transmitted a message while the latter tapped out random frequencies, to mask the outgoing transmission. When two Kaylons caught them off guard, Yaphit glommed onto one, oozing into his suit and short-circuiting him, but the other grabbed Ty. Primary then summoned Isaac, to task him with terminating the human child. Isaac argued against the punishment, for naught. When push came to shove, Isaac popped out his helmet-mount lasers, but instead twisted-and-snapped off Primary’s head before gunning down the nearby guards.

Racing to the bridge, Isaac did same with the Kaylons manning the stations, before telling Ty of his plan to flood the ship with an EMP that will deactivate all of the Kaylons — himself included. Ty protests, but accepts Isaac’s sacrifice. Once the Kaylon troops are neutralized, Ty dashes to the shuttle bay and opens the door for the others, racing into his mom’s arms.

That battle won, it was now time to win the war, as the Orville and the Kaylon armada arrived in Earth’s orbit — where the Union fleet awaited them, having gotten Yaphit’s message! A massive battle unspooled, with the Union suffering major losses, including at least two entire starships by my count. But just when it appeared they were indeed outgunned, and Ed was readying a desperate maneuver, the Krill fleet dropped out of warp and quickly got to blowing up all the baddies, with help from small fighters, Gordon among their pilots. “For the glory of Avis!”

The Kaylons took a lot of hits, until the remaining stragglers opted to retreat. In the aftermath of the Union victory, there was the matter of what to do with Isaac, whom Yaphit had oozed inside of and managed to reboot. Ed suggested that Isaac — now a non-man without a country — stay aboard the Orville, tasked with developing tech to ward off any future attacks by the Kaylons. Admiral Spy Daddy agreed but with reservations, given that Ed refuses to essentially enslave Isaac with an “off switch” safeguard.

“That’s a heavy obligation,” he warned the Orville‘s captain, to which Ed nodded, “I’m ready.”

Is this series getting more strange each week?

Last edited by Eadie on Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Webb Mitovich of TVline wrote:
Is this series getting more strange each week?

More strange, yes . . . and more sappy than a Vermont maple tree! Shocked

Dr. Claire Finn has fallen head-over-heels in love with a soulless, emotionless, faceless robot who spends all his waking hours studying and analyzing humans . . . and absolutely none of his waking hours enjoying anything!

And since he never sleeps, that's what he constantly does-and-doesn't do.

Also, the fact that he never sleeps is not the only reason why Claire — the poor love-sick fool — can never "sleep with him".

Is this a doomed relationship or what? (Correct answer: it is!) Shocked

Meanwhile, Claire's two fatherless kids are just as nutty as Mom, because they think Mr. Silver Egghead is a Jim Dandy father figure, and they're delighted that in matters of romance, Mommy doesn't discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, biology, or length of warranty.

As for the science in this episode, the whole EM defense strategy has a serious flaw. The Kaylin "Tin Man" race is supposed to be the product of advanced technology far above the Orville's . . . and yet Isaac's EM pulse knocked out the Super Bots but had no effect on the Orville's systems!

That seems unlikely . . . especially since earlier in the episode the Kaylin's were somehow able to turn the Orville systems on and off as easily as flicking a light switch!

Oops. Embarassed

I'm sorry, guys, but I just don't care for the way this so-called sci-fi series plays fast and loose with science while devoting entire episodes to exploring the subject of sexual preferences and ridiculous romances.

On a more positive note, the space battle was spectacular, and the makeup of the Krill is excellent.

However, the Krill's wacky religious fanaticism is just sort of annoying and boring. And were the writers pulling our legs when they named the Krilll god "Avis"? Does that mean their version of Satan is "Hertz"? Rolling Eyes

I assume the Krill worship Avis instead of Hertz because . . . He tries harder.
Wink[/size]

~ The Space Children (1958)
Krel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to laugh at the "Roots" bit, because it completely ignores that Alex Haley was sued, and lost because it was proven that he plagiarized other authors books for sections of his book.

If they get on better relations with the Krill, then maybe Mercer's Krill girlfriend will come back on the Orville.

Issac's race criticizes human history, while completely ignoring their history of genocide.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
Issac's race criticizes human history, while completely ignoring their history of genocide.

True indeed!

Although the Kaylin might try to justify the genocide of their creators as a slave revolt that was 100% effective, the fact that they possess advanced technology so they could defend themselves from other species means they certainly were NOT justified in attempting to wipe out all sentient life in the galaxy! Shocked

By the way, am I the only one who thought the episode called A Happy Refrain was dumber than mixing antifreeze with Bud Lite? Confused

Claire asked the Tin Man out on a date (imagine Dorothy doing that), and they go to a restaurant (even though the Tin Man ain't got no mouth).

She's surprised when he demonstrates fewer people skills than Seri (and speaks less convincingly), and she's disappointed that he already knows everything about her (from reading her entire personnel record), which prevents her from being able to bore him to death with a discussion all about "me-me-me" for the whole evening! Rolling Eyes

Then Isaac takes the advice of a crew-mate and has a handsome human holodeck appearance fabricated for himself (played by Mark Jackson, the guy who does the voice of Issac — a nice touch).

Claire is dazzled by this and jumps into bed with the fake man who has a robot inside. They have sex, and the next day Claire raves to Adrianne Palicki and Jessica Szohr (the resident "hot chicks") about how great it was.

Gentlemen, do you know what a lady means when she says she has gratified herself with her "Bob"?

It stands Battery Operated Boyfriend. A vibrator.

Isaac's name should "Robert". Rolling Eyes

I'm a bit surprised that women viewers aren't objecting to this episode on the basis that it suggests Claire is perfectly happy with a "Stepford Husband" and isn't the least bit interested in a real relationship with an actual man! Shocked

Isaac decides that he doesn't want to keep dating Calre because his "mission to gather information on human mating is complete", so he follows the advice of his sexiest crewmen and he insults her so SHE will break up with HIM.

That's supposed to spare her the pain of rejection? (Ummm . . . right.) Rolling Eyes

And then, in the very next scene, the bridge personnel make snide remarks to Isaac about what a rotten guy he is for breaking poor Claire's heart!

Obviously I'm taking this episode far too seriously.

It was meant to be a spoof of everything from the TNG episode when Data showed Tasha Yar that resistance is futile, and when Miss Katherina Ross "graduated" from a flesh-and-blood woman to an anatomically correct Barbie doll.

And to prove that I might be overreacting a bit, the episode includes a scene near the end where Norm MacDonald, the voice of Yaphit the green blob, appears as himself in the simulator room after Dr. Finn's breakup and tries to buy her a drink.

I seem to remember an early episode in which Yahit had sex with one of the gals. Can anybody verify that? Rolling Eyes

But in conclusion, I have to admit that the final scene on the bridge when Isaac makes it rain and plays "Singing in the Rain" while he and Claire kiss is . . . just crazy and imaginative enough to make me give this episode credit for more good ideas than absolutely stupid one. Cool

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm catching up on the two episodes prior to the recent two-parter, in which Isaac is taken back to his home planet and we find out that the Kaylin want to wipe out all sentient life in galaxy.

I was so disappointed in this series prior to the most recent episodes that I let my DVR collect a few that I hadn't watched yet.

So, the comments comments below are about Deflectors, which aired on Thursday, February 14th.

The opening scene is a glimpse into a future that allows a couple (Chris Johnson and Adrianne Palicki) to sit in a holodeck recreation of a New York cafe in 1945 and calmly discuss where there relationship is going.

Only in a science fiction story could this happen. Cool

And I have to admit, this soap opera scene is flawlessly done, and it's smack in the middle of a wacky TV series that presents another episode with a female starship doctor who falls in love with an emotionless, faceless robot who ends up using Gene Kelly's Singing in the Rain to win the girl and give us a happy ending!

Like . . . wow. Shocked

The rest of this episode is well done too, and I'll post more about it this weekend. Meanwhile, what did YOU guys think about it?

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
I seem to remember an early episode in which Yahit had sex with one of the gals. Can anybody verify that? Rolling Eyes

Yeah. Yahit had sex with Doctor Finn.
Krel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trekriffic wrote:
Krel wrote:

Yeah. Yahit had sex with Doctor Finn.

That was Bud that asked that question, not me.

The actress, who's name I can't recall, is the best performer on the show. She was really creepy in first season's holodeck episode.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed the quoted name. Wink

Those quote boxes get confusing when you re-quote something. When Trekriffic hit the quote button, he had Krel's comment and my comment together, and he had to cut all the parts he didn't want so he'd just have my comment about Yahit.

He also had to delete one of the two member's names the box included — mine and Krel's. When that happens, it's easy to remove the wrong one. Very Happy

I appreciate that he edited out what he didn't need. Some members don't bother to do that, and you end up with a long message being repeated right below the original . . . complete with all the jpegs it included! Rolling Eyes

By the way, the doctor is played by Penny Johnson Jerald — and yes, she is a lovely and talented actress. I first became aware of her when she played the police captain in 93 episodes of Castle. She was also in 15 episodes of Deep Space Nine.

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Orville Season 3 Renewal: Latest Information and Operation Pickle Delivery!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEPnf7LNAjY

Last edited by Eadie on Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been announced that the 3rd season will be moved to Hulu, not on Fox.

Well, so much for me seeing any further episodes of that show.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm . . . I've never been a big fan of the show, but I don't subscribe to HULU, so I'll have to find out if it's worth getting for any reason other than to watch The Orville.

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished binge watching the HULU series of THE ORVILE : NEW HORIZONS and came away very impressed!

Gone was most of the "humor" and in was a seriousness that was more "Rodenberry" than any of the new TREKs.
Most of the 8 episodes were authored by Brannon Braga, a STAR TREK NG alumni writer, and the stories were terrific! Thought provoking and more "culturally relevant" than any of the Paramount entries!

Also, there was no need for strictly paring down a story to meet a ridged time and commercial break!

I especially loved episodes 7 and 8...both were "movie quality" and brought both laughs and tears as well as action and drama.

Give it a chance guys. I think you'll love it!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Gord! I'll definitely give Orville another look!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: