ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011) Reply with quote

Fans of the original show often point out the differences between it and the movie versions. Granted there are plenty of 'em, but this one seems to go to great lengths to pay tribute to the series — right up to having the title work include quick scenes from the movie, just like the series did. Cool

I thought that was cool.

And the classic theme weaves its way in and out of the action during all the scenes involving a master plan. It happens fairly often.

I thought that was cool, too.

One of MI's most popular ideas was used in a new, hi-tech manner, the old "corridor that looks empty when it's really a half-corridor with a rear projection screen to make it LOOK empty" trick.

That was definitely very cool.

As for the other sci-fi elements in this one . . . well, it's Christmas, kids! Here's Santa's list of goodies.

Contact lenses that provide real-time data directly to the wearer's eyes, a sonic device that disintegrates concrete, sexy black gloves that stick to window glass and turn the wearer into Spider-Man, and the aforementioned portable video screen that creates David Copperfield illusions.

And Santa's little helpers also gift us with a rusty railroad boxcar that looks like a starship on the inside, packed with enough futuristic toys to make you glad you were a good boy all year long.

As for the plot, it has a lot more balls than that wimpy crap about the mysterious "Rabbit's Foot" the last one fed us.

In this one, a Russian nutcakesky thinks nuclear war is good for the environment, and he wants to start one so mankind can build new stuff on the ruins of the old stuff that gets nuked. He actually defends this crazy idea by pointing out that Hiroshima and Nagasaki are much nicer places now than they were just before the A-bombs fell.

How do you argue with logic like that? Shocked

One thing that pleased me enormously was the way the movie did not try to beat my brain to death with endless action scenes, the way John Woo did with MI2. This one was a "thinking man's" story, with characters that used their brains much more often than their fists and firearms.

The whole scene that took place in two different hotel rooms at once to trick the bad guys was classic Mission: Impossible — and brilliantly done.

I'm hoping our resident "Mission: Impossible" fans felt this one did the original series proud.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:19 am; edited 8 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy the terrific trailer for this wonderful movie, which shows just how cool it really is. Cool

______ Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol Trailer

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:35 pm; edited 4 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several amazing trivia items at IMDB for this movie.

Tom Cruise performed the sequence where Ethan Hunt scales the outside of the Burj Khalifa tower himself without the use of a stunt double. The Burj Khalifa tower is the tallest building in the world at 2,722 feet, or 829.8 meters. Cruise dangled outside the tower at approximately 1,700 feet, or 518 meters.

Paula Patton's character in this movie, Carter, is possibly a tribute to Barbara Bain, who played Cinnamon Carter on the television series.

Agent Carter is also the name of Hayley Atwell's character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, in which she is one of the founding members of S.H.I.E.L.D. Jeremy Renner also plays a S.H.I.E.L.D agent in the Marvel Cinematic Universe known as Clint Barton, or by his superhero alias, Hawkeye.

___

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've enjoyed the M:I movies but I am also disappointed in 'em in some respects.

The gadgets are phenomenal, location shooting, cast, & overall production values are excellent.

I hated the first film due to their making former IMF team leader Jim Phelps a villain.

One of the hallmarks about the I:M TV Series was that it was an ensemble effort by the entire group.

Let's face it, the movies are primarily about TC.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. The team in each movie is as strong as the ones in the series. And the series was . . . boring by comparison. I tried watching them a few years ago.

Sorry . . . Sad

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still enjoy the 60s M:I tv show.

I thought they moved along fine & many episodes kept my interest. Are they all winners? Nah, not any tv show can run for 7 seasons & have every episode be a stellar one. M*A*S*H sure came close in their 11-seasons.

Clearly 60s tv shows do not move at the frenetic -- and at times hard to follow -- pace of many of today's tv series.

And while the supporting cast members who are on the IMF in the movies are fine actors, they most assuredly are in the background to Mr.Cruise.

You would be hard pressed to pick one movie where the Cruise character is not the center of the team & in the spotlight.

The tv show shared those scenes among the cast.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. I made a blanket statement that wasn't really accurate. I guess I was just a bit disappointed in the original series when I tried watching them again about two years ago.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean, Bud.

I loved Get Smart when it was first aired. Had not seen it in years, bought some dvds to watch it anew.

Yeah, still some funny, funny stuff going on & lol moments. I was surprised at how slow some of the pacing was during episodes.

I guess after Airplane, The Naked Gun, & Police Squad, where they are rapid fire & fill one scene with a ton of jokes, GS did not compare well.

In fairness though, it was a comedy of its time when the style was different from what we have today.

Sort of like comparing a stand up comedian like Milton Berle to George Carlin. Its comedy, but it reflects the eras those men lived in.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy the Blu-ray for this movie just to get the bonus features! Here's the "Making of . . . " documentary, compliments of All Sci-Fi.

What a deal, eh? Very Happy

__________ The Making Of MI IV Ghost Protocol

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few more interesting trivia items about this great movie.

Jeremy Renner stated that working with Tom Cruise was a dream come true, since he's always idolized him as an actor. Renner did mention Cruise is a great actor, but even more a nicer guy.

Note from me: I offer this one for all you folks who seem to have a strange aversion to Tpm Cruise and avoid his movies because of this. I, for one, think he's a terrific guy. Very Happy

Brad Bird's live-action directorial debut.

Note from me: So, this movie is the live action version of The Incredibles, which is a perfect spy-movie-action-adventure-superhero film! Very Happy

The high-tech car that Ethan Hunt drives near the end of the film is the Vision Efficient Dynamics concept car. It is an actual prototype of the BMW i8 plug-in hybrid that will enter production in late 2013. The concept car is powered by a 1.5 liter three-cylinder turbocharged gasoline engine and two electric motors.

Note from me: Wow . . . he gets to drive concept cars and hang on the outside of the tallest building in the world. When I grow up I want to be just like Tom Cruise . . . Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: