ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forbidden Planet (1956)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 80, 81, 82 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this article:

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/forbidden-planet/253565/forbidden-planet-is-still-essential-and-subversive-sci-fi

Forbidden Planet is Still Essential and Subversive Sci-Fi

Forbidden Planet is still dazzling and subversive, and an influence on most major space opera science fiction.

Interesting! To continue our conversation I Submit these stills.

The CFQ double issue showing the plastic educator:

In color:

The 'flash board':

The 'flash board' in color:

(I took the Educator shot off our TV screen from the Criterion Laser Disk version in full 2.55:1 ratio!)

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:27 am; edited 10 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Lord! All these years I've seen,,,but not "seen" that flash board!
The designations on it remind me of those on the "lock" pylon!

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the Cinefantastique article I posted and find out how that prop was supposed to work . . . but didn't. Sad

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The door lock was easy to solve: it is a math puzzle. I figured it out, so did Butch and Pye-Rate. Can YOU?

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure! Very Happy

Tell me what combination you came up with, and I'll tell you if it's the same answer I got!

Oh, wait a minute. The lock has no numbers! How can we express the combinations we each came up with? And there's only three colors. 2 red, 2 yellow, 3 white, and 1white with a yellow triangle inside.

Does the dial only have 8 "numbers" Confused

I watched the scene shown below tonight and noticed that Morbius tilts the four-pronged spinner upward four times as he turns it, and a small light appears at a point between the twelve o'clock and one o'clock positions each time he does (as indicated by the green arrow.

The end of one of the four prongs lights up (as seen above), but only AFTER he's tilted the dial upward, and twice it lights up while the dial is being rotated!

I'm sure the lock could have a combination that uses all these various mechanical features . . . but frankly I think Walter Pigeon was just twiddling the dial at random. Laughing

However, please tell us what you, Butch, and Pye-rate came up with.
Cool
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the shapes he points to. It's a geometry puzzle!

Original Enctclopedia Brittanica™ article:

Forbidden Planet
film by Wilcox [1956]
Written By:

Lee Pfeiffer

Forbidden Planet, American science- fiction film, released in 1956, that was noted for its groundbreaking and Academy Award-nominated special effects, all-electronic musical score, intelligent script, and robot “Robby.”

Astronauts in the 23rd century are sent to the distant planet Altair IV to find out why a previous expedition has disappeared. Once there, they find the reclusive professor Morbius (played by Walter Pidgeon) living with his beautiful daughter, Altaira (Anne Francis), and an amazing robot named Robby, who has a distinct personality and human traits. Morbius tells the astronauts that some unknown force killed the other settlers and shows them the vast underground city of the Krell, the long-dead natives of Altair IV. An invisible monster starts killing the astronauts, who discover that the monster is a projection of Morbius’s subconscious unleashed by his experiments with the mind-expanding machinery of the Krell.
The characters, plot, and settings were inspired by William Shakespeare’s The Tempest. Pioneers of electronic music Louis and Bebe Barron composed the first such score for a feature film. (Because of a dispute with the Musician’s Union, the Barrons were credited simply with “electronic tonalities.”) Designer Robert Kinoshita, who built Robby, also created the robot on the 1960s television series Lost In Space.

Production notes and credits

Studio: Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer
Director: Fred M. Wilcox
Producer: Nicholas Nayfack
Writer: Cyril Hume
Music: Louis Barron and Bebe Barron
Running time: 98 minutes

Cast

Walter Pidgeon (Dr. Morbius)
Anne Francis (Altaira)
Leslie Nielsen (John J. Adams)
Warren Stevens (“Doc” Ostrow)
Jack Kelly (Jerry Farman)

Academy Award nomination

Special effects

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie wrote:
Look at the shapes he points to. It's a geometry puzzle!

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you. I need a little more help.

Exactly how is the rotation of the spinner a "geometry puzzle"? I realize, of course that the base behind the spinner has two circles, one square, one rectangle, and four triangles, one of which is a yellow triangle IN a white triangle.

But the prong that Morbius "points" with (when he tilts it inward four different times) doesn't actually point at any of the shapes. It points to a spot a bit to the right of the triangle at the 12 o'clock position after each spin, and a little light blinks at that same point each time.

As for the prong that lights up, Morbius never tilts that prong inward, and the prong sometimes lights up while the spinner is in motion, which means it isn't pointing at any of the shapes.

Eadie, I'm just trying to figure out what I'm missing when you suggested that I should look at what shapes Morbius points to. As usual, you've certainly got me thinking hard on a subject you presented for our consideration. Very Happy

I claimed earlier that the face of the dial had no numbers, but that was kind of dumb. Naturally it doesn't have Arabic numerals (Duh, Bud! Rolling Eyes), but what if each shape represents a number, according to the number of sides it has.

Circle = 1
Triangle = 3
Square = 4
Triangle-in-triangle = 6 (or 3 squared = 9)
Rectangle = 4 squared, maybe? (16)

However, we obviously can't make the Krell lock function like a standard combination lock, because if the number-of-sides on each shape equals a numeral, we've got two 1's and three 3's!

So . . . that's where my theory seems to fall apart. Oh well . . .

Here's two interesting questions I found on the TCM Forbidden Planet page which displays comments submitted by viewers.

Why did Adams spin the lock after they were inside the lab during the climax?

He's right! Spinning a combination lock does nothing at all. And yet Morbius said —

"Why did you jumble that combination?"

"Because," Adams said, "whatever you know in here, your twin self out in the tunnel knows, too!"

I have no idea why Adams spun the dial. Theories, anyone? Confused

Another question posed by a TCM viewer was this:

After Morbius dies, how did John and Atlaira get out of the lab?

Even if they'd had the combination, the Id monster made the door white hot, so the four separate sections of the partially melted door would be fused together, preventing it from opening.

The TCM viewer suggested that the hole the Id monster created was big enough for Adams and Altair to pass through, but it would remain too hot to touch for several hours.

However, Morbius said the Krell metal "soaks up energy like a sponge", so after the Krell machine stopped pumping energy into the door it would have cool rapidly, allowing the couple to safely pass through.

And THAT, I assume, is how they go out. Very Happy

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your assumption is correct, Bud. The Krell metal would have cooled rather quickly.

Also, re: the combination.
It would appear that the Krell used a base 8 in their math and the lock face was like a "clock" dial reflecting this.

The "combination" would have been, like in terrestrial ones, a combination of turns, direction of turns, and "number" .

Personaly, I think Walter just turned the dial at random for the filming. To try to read into it that he used a pre determined combination is reading too much into it. He acted it for the dramatic effect.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, heck, I don't know what the combination on Morbius' lock was, but the replica of it I have on the sidewalk that opens the door of my townhome here in Charlotte uses this combination.

Right to C

Left to 5

Right to 7

and left to D

Confidentially it's the same as the license plate on my replica of Robby's car . . . (which, now that I think of it, is probably not a good idea.) Rolling Eyes

And folks, if you think I'm kidding about this — I'm NOT!

Yes, that really IS my house!

Geez, surely you don't think I'd park my Robby Car in front of somebody ELSE'S house!
Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Saturday, I had Me TV on when an episode of "Wonder Woman" came on. I hadn't seen the show since it was originally broadcasted, so I gave it a watch. In the beginning, the bad guy was projecting a hologram of a UFO to panic a pilot. The UFO was a model of the C-57-D with some type of framework on the bottom. I don't think it was one o the movie miniatures, but possibly the Bill Malone model kit, or even the smaller vacuum form kit that was out at the time.

David.
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANOTHER interesting article.

[I corrected the many spelling errors — Eadie.]

https://mjwrightnz.wordpress.com/2017/11/13/ten-reasons-why-forbidden-planet-is-still-cool-after-61-years/

Ten reasons why Forbidden Planet is still cool after 61 years

Posted on November 13, 2017 by Matthew Wright

I watched Forbidden Planet the other day, for the first time in a very long while. And a lot of stuff sprang out at me that I’d forgotten, or which I’d maybe not noticed.

Not seen it? It’s worth checking out. Sure, it was made in 1956 and has a kind of ‘American Modern’ feel – but it’s not just a classic, it’s arguably one of the best sci-fi movies ever made; smart, well-scripted – based, in fact on Shakespeare’s The Tempest. And it was influential in SO many ways – all of which make it very cool even today.

The movie opens with the space cruiser, C-57-D, flying through space, and we follow it through the landing sequence on the desert world of Altair IV. This was basically identical to what Stanislaw Lem portrayed in the opening sequence of The Invincible, which he wrote about 8 years later.

The later sequence in which the crew defend the landed C-57-D, using a perimeter force-field fence and ray guns, was also used by Lem in The Invincible, where the titular space cruiser was defended on the ground by a perimeter force field fence and ray guns.

The look and feel of the ‘deceleration tubes’ in the opening sequence were basically used later in Star Trek for the transporter.

The general feel and styling of the C-57-D was later used by Irwin Allen for Lost In Space, where the Jupiter II was broadly the same idea.

Robby the Robot, designed by Robert Kinoshita among others, became iconic – appearing in other movies and TV shows, including Lost In Space. The Robbie concept was also the basis for the Lost In Space B-9 General Utility Non-Theorizing Environmental Robot Model Type M-3 Environmental Control Model B-9 (also designed by Kinoshita).

The plot of Forbidden Planet, broadly, revolves around the way the Krell, native to Altair IV, lost their physical instrumentality – becoming, instead, creatures of pure energy. This idea was also explored by Arthur C. Clarke in 2001: A Space Odyssey (implicitly in the movie, explicitly in the novel) a dozen years later.

Anne Francis’s main costume was a mini-skirt. This hasn’t raised eyebrows since the ‘Swinging Sixties’, but don’t forget that Forbidden Planet was made in 1956. It was deeply risqué then, particularly in an era when the Hayes Code was still in action.

The soundtrack by Bebe and Louis Barron consisted of ‘electronic tonalities’ – a term used in part to get around a musicians’ strike of the day. It consisted of electronic bubbling sounds, bleeps and bloops produced by an over-driven ring-modulator, various home-built oscillators, filters and tape loop effects. All this is normal today – but then it was innovative, and very much a ‘science fiction’ idea. However, it never took off as part of the genre – we’re more used, these days, to lush orchestral soundtracks of the John Williams variety.

Fans of the 1970s show The Six Million Dollar Man might recognise Richard Anderson as one of the C-57-D’s crew. Meanwhile the C-57-D’s captain was played by Leslie Nielsen — a serious dramatic role that belied his subsequent work in comedy.

The movie was set around Altair (Alpha Aquilae, HD 165341) which is a Type A star some 11 times as luminous as the Sun, and 16.7 light years distant. It is a curious star, rotating so fast that its equatorial radius is 25 percent more than its polar – which also means the equatorial regions radiate less. This point wasn’t discovered until 1999-2000, but the luminosity of the star was known [As was the fact thar it is a pale bloe white star, when it was depivted as red. — Eadie] when the movie was made, and to have the Earth-normal habitability as shown in the movie, the putative Altair IV would have to be some 3.4 astronomical units from the star – about the same distance from Altair as our solar system’s asteroid belt generally is from our Sun. And it would have a ‘year’ some 4.4 times the length of ours.

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHECK THIS OUT!

http://atruegentlemen.blogspot.com/2009/02/art-irving-alexander-block.html

Found Art | Irving Alexander Block

February 3, 2009

Within the art industry today, the name Irving Alexander Block goes unrecognized as a painter and muralist. He was most notably known for his creations of sci-fi films (i.e. Forbidden Planet, Alice in Wonderland, Unknown World) that date back to 1949.

Born in New York City, Block was a graduate of New York University, the National Academy of Design, and Grande Chaumiere in Paris. Block took inspiration from his humble beginings and painted what he drew most of his inspiration from, daily life. Subject matters included nude women, mothers and children, New York Subway Stations, cafe scenes, and much more. He was also commissioned to paint a mural for the American Medical Building for the 1937 World's Fair and also for the United States Treasury Department (I wonder if it still exists?).

Irving Block was truly a great American artist whose painting's created a window into an era long forgotten. The sad thing is a lot of his work that we find either goes uncredited or uknown. Above are some pieces that were recovered from a sketchbook of his that are [were] currently selling on Ebay.

2 comments:

Francesca Lia Block July 12, 2012 at 11:42 PM

{I found a better picture than at the site. — Eadie She writes under the name Francesca Lia}

This is my father, Irving Alexander Block. Let me know if you are interested in seeing more of his work.

francescaliablock@sbcglobal.net

Anonymous July 19, 2012 at 4:15 AM

I was given a sketch "Nude with towel" . I adore it. It was from the Ankram Gallery in Los Angeles. Was wondering about the time frame as to when it was done or sold. Thank you.

Forrest6@comcast.net

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those two interesting and informative articles, Eadie! Very Happy

As always, we appreciate the research you do to find things like that. And thanks for fixing the typos! I'm sure you're better at that than All Sci-Fi's resident Type King, yours truly. Very Happy

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that you as an artist would appreciate a fellow artist's other work.

Last edited by Eadie on Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie wrote:
I thought that you as an artist would appreciate a fellow artist's other work.

Indeed I do, Eadie. Thanks! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 80, 81, 82 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 81 of 143

Jump to: