ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geostorm (2017)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Geostorm (2017) Reply with quote

This movie is absolute proof that a great science fiction film with a brilliant premise, stunning special effects, and a flawless script can be reviled by IMDB members who call it the "worst movie ever made", as well as being ignored by the public and insulted by witless film critics like this one below, from the Wikipedia article.

Mark Kermode of the Kermode and Mayo's Film Review radio program stated that the film "takes stupid to a whole new level.... Honestly, and I say this, I think it's the stupidest film I have ever seen."

Either Mr. Kermode is a complete moron . . . or I am. And based his half-literate writing style, clearly I ain't the dumb one. Shocked

And I'm fairly certain that nobody here on All Sci-Fi thinks I'm a moron. So, it's obvious that Mark's low opinion of this movie is pure bullsh*t. Rolling Eyes

As for MY opinion of this movie, I'll state for the record that after watching it recently for the first time, I've decided that it's one of the best science fiction films I've ever seen!

The premise is brilliant, the story is beautifully told, the direction by Dean Devlin is flawless, and the special effects are jaw-dropping.

Frankly, guys, I'm stunned by the comments from several IMDB members who said that the FX were poor! I can't help but wonder what flaws they saw in scenes like these!

Guys, remember the days when the public was dazzled by the special effects in When Worlds Collide, a production which used miniatures to portray scenes of global disasters . . . and won an Oscar for their creative efforts?

However, as we all grew older, the special effects which thrilled us as children looked less and less convincing. Sad

And yet we still remembered them fondly and watched these classics over and over again! But we don't just forgive these less-than-convincing special effects for the way they look — we understand that they were works of art which presented fabulous concepts, using the best methods available at the time!

However, now it's 2019 . . . and times have changed.

Modern science has given us new technological innovations which surpass many of the things we saw in the movies and TV shows we watched as kids.

Today's audiences go to movies like Geostorm and fail to understand it's complex story. Equally amazing is that they simply aren't impressed by the amazing special effects!

But perhaps the true tragedy, folks, is that clueless film critics work hard to discourage people from going to see movies like this one by claiming they're not worth watching. Sad

Guys, before I'd even finished watching my Netflix DVD of this movie a few days ago, I felt compelled to order the Blu-ray from Amazon!

This is an awesome science fiction story, and I don't understand the witless criticisms made by people who have seen it, along with the film critics who are supposed to appreciate good movies!

Trust me. Some of them don't know their anal cavities from Carlsbad Caverns!
Rolling Eyes

________________ Geostorm Trailer #1 (2017)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched my new Blu-ray of this great movie today, and I was impressed all over again. This is an awesome science fiction movie in every way. It impresses me far more than any of the recent Star Trek or Star Wars movies — although I admit I love them as well. Cool

But this one is a "thinkin' man's" science fiction story, the kind we love to read and contemplate — rather than the kind we just watch. Very Happy

Maybe that's the difference between some of the "successful" sci-fi movies and the really good ones which sometimes don't succeed when they should have. If the audience feels intimidated by the need to think about and understand a complex story . . . they don't like it!

Anyway, here's a few nice videos about this movie.

_________________ Dean Devlin's "Geostorm"

_______ GEOSTORM (2017) - Behind the Scenes

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had an absolute ball during the last few weeks pondering the plots and contemplating the basic concepts of movies from the 1950s and 1960s — like Five Weeks in a Balloon — because the movies from that era presented optimistic and interesting stories which are fun to analyze.

Sadly, that isn't often true of the movies we've been getting in the last few decades. So, guys, I haven't been able to expound on the story concepts for recent movies they way I've done for the films from the Golden Age of Science Fiction.

Ah, but THIS movie is an exception! Very Happy

Geostorm has a profound vision for the future, a plan for mankind to fix our failing planet's damaged ecosystem and prevent the extinction of the human race!

The problem with the plan is that isn't yet perfect, and the flawed nature of mankind himself compounds the failure of the global satellite system which is supposed to fix Earth's ever-worsening problem. Sad

I guess this is a classic case of physician, heal thyself.

What I'm getting at is that this movie presents a complex concept — an advanced global satellite system that eventually fails because an imperfect mankind did not perfect their technological creation.

Wow. Science . . . you gotta love it. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: