ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smallville (2001 - 2011)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Smallville (2001 - 2011) Reply with quote

On the old board there was a separate category for this ground-breaking series. Most of the later part of the series (The CW) focused on these five:

Then this group:

But the full compliment was quite large:

They even has Hawkman, Sandman, Doctor Fate, and Stargirl from the WWII Justice Society of America whose headquarters had this painting on the back wall:

After the series ended Tom Welling proposed a continuation series spin-off potentially titled Superman: Ultimate Justice (fan made concept shown).

Other heroes from the episode Absolute Justice that I posted on the old board:

[imghttps://i.imgur.com/ctMNA5M.jpg][/img]

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this series, and at one time I actually added a category for it on the main index of our old board, but it got so little traffic I deleted it.

____ Smallville Returns (Cinematic Trailer 2017)

_________

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched this entire series with my daughter (All Sci-Fi member Ticket2theMoon) on her DVDs over a period of about five years, binge watching them far into the night during my visits with her family when they lived in West Virginia.

Hours and hours of very fond memories.

This series is the only version of the Superman character I've enjoyed since Superman: The Movie, which is deliberately tongue-in-cheek, and doesn't really qualify as a "serious" superhero movie like the Marvel films.

I've yet to see a single DC movie that measured up to ones produced by the Marvel studios.

I eventually bought the box sets of Smallville seasons 4, 8, 9, and 10. I've put season 1 on my Netflix list and I'm watching the first disk right now. Very Happy

The series has an amazing cast, brilliant writing, skilled direction, awesome special effects, and beautiful photography.

I'm looking forward to reacquainting myself with this great series. Any other fans out there?

~ The Space Children (1958)
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While watching an episode of Smallville today from season 1 today I was reminded that Tom Snyder (Jonathan Kent) is a fine actor and charming man.

He's also the star of another series I like and have the box sets of.

It's fun, action packed, and funny. And the scenes of the Dodge Charger flying through the air are amazing.

I think I'll revisit this series with my DVDs again soon. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working my way through season 1 of this series, and I'm surprised that none of the episodes look the least bit familiar so far! Shocked

I guess it's because I binge-watched them with my daughter (you know, the one I always call "All Sci-Fi member Ticket2theMoon " out of fatherly pride Very Happy ) back in 2005 during one of my visits to West Virginia to see her and my grandson.

During these biannual four-day visits between 2005 and 2009, we watched several seasons using her box set of seasons 1 through 7.

I eventually had to buy seasons 8 through 10 because, a few years later, she decided to sell her box set on eBay, and I wanted to finish the series.

Recently I bought seasons 2 and 3 because I didn't want to wait for Netflix to send me the next DVD I needed when I was ready to binge-watch the series.

But I think this great series presents excellent science fiction and superhero stories, and I'm hoping All Sci-Fi has a few fans who will contribute posts to this forum.

Surely there are few Kristin Kreuk fans out there! Cool

I tried to find good pictures of Miss Kreuk on line, but they're wasn't a single one that impressed me! So, I put the DVD I had from season 1 into my laptop, the one I was watching while writing this post, and I made a few screen shots.

My question is . . . why aren't there pictures like the ones I made from the DVD (which I'll post here tomorrow after enhancing them) plastered all over the internet! Am I some sort of artistic genius, or what? Shocked

Based on this first one I made from the DVD, I guess the answer is . . . yes. Cool

For the record, the original screen shot I made of this image was dark, fuzzy, and much less colorful before I enhanced it.

I did a good job, didn't I? Very Happy

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Legion of the Superheroes members Saturn Girl, Cosmic Boy, and Lightning Lad also dropped in on Smallville.

Kristen Kreuk was a doll!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While binge-watching Smallville, I'm constantly amazed at how often Clark flagrantly breaks the law!

He rips doors off their hinges to break into houses and other buildings just to get the information he wants, and he throws people across the room when they arrive to ask him what he's doing there.

Breaking-and-entering on a regular basis — plus assault-and-battery on countless occasions, with no provocation that would justify his actions even if he was a normal human who could be harmed. Clark's attacks are absolutely unnecessary.

Furthermore when he needs to rescue somebody, he always does the maximum damage to the building just to get in! In one scene, a little boy falls into the back of dump truck as the compactor begins to close, so he yanks the hydraulic loose to stop it, and then . . . he tears open the SIDE of the truck to get the kid out, instead of just lifting him out through the opening still left from the closing compactor!

Never mind the fact that ripping the heavy-gauge steel reveals his super-power . . . just like the way he zips off with super-speed every time Chloe tells him something he wants to go investigate, vanishing from her office with that WHOOOOSH sound.

And every time he does that, Chloe just looks puzzled, shakes her head . . . just forgets about! Shocked

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 141 trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

~ According to DVD commentary, Tom Welling was known to wander around the set muttering under his breath, "Clark is an idiot! He is such an idiot!"

Note from me: This show does a great job of showing us the fact that Clark Kent is a teenage boy, not a mature man, much less a superhero! He makes mistakes out of ignorance and inexperience, he let's his emotions cloud his thinking, and and acts impulsively, sometimes with disastrous results.

~ Chloe and Whitney were created specifically for the show (they were never mentioned in the Superman comics). However, in 2003, DC Comics announced that Chloe would be introduced into the Superman comics.

Note from me: This show is packed solid with gorgeous women, but the one which is the most interesting and admirable is Chloe. She's smart, she's gutsy, she's a better Lois Lane that Lois ever was, and yes . . . beautiful too. Very Happy

~ Kristen Bell auditioned for the role of Chloe Sullivan.

Note from me: Based on the photo above, Kristen might have been pretty good as Chloe. It depends, of course on how well she could play the role. But that would mean that Kristen Kreuk played Lana and Kristen Bell played Chloe. Whenever somebody on set called out, "Kristen, it's time for your shot!", they'd both jump up and collide with each other! Shocked

~ Actors Tom Welling, Allison Mack, Michael Rosenbaum, John Schneider, and Justin Hartley are the only actors to ever appear on the show, who also directed episodes of it as well. Although they did not direct the same amount, of course, since Welling has directed seven episodes. Mack directed two, and Rosenbaum, Schneider, and Hartley all directed one episode each during the show's 10 year run.

Note from me: I admire actors who have the skill and intelligence to not only act but also sit in the directors chair.

~ A group of fans of the series launched an unsuccessful online campaign to petition for the casting of Tom Welling as Clark Kent/Superman in Superman Returns (2006).

Note from me: The script for Superman Returns was flawed, but Brandon Roth was actually the right choice for the role. The movie would have been even less satisfying if the role of a very troubled and conflicted Superman was played by Tom Welling, who gave us a different (and more upbeat) version of the Man of Steel.

~ The Kent farm appears in a Canadian dairy farm commercial.

Note from me: Quite a few of the shots showing the Kent farm look like visions of a "heaven on Earth", because the shots were done at sunset, giving them that golden glow which movie makers love.

The term for this among filmmakers is "magic hour".

I've always loved the way this show portrays our youthful dreams of a perfect world, in which a happy family on a beautiful Midwestern farm has two loving parents who raise a son who's actually a strange visitor from another planet who comes to Earth with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal man!

Now THAT is truth, justice, and the American way! Very Happy

~ The Smallville High Student Newspaper that Clark and Chloe write for is named "The Torch," after the student newspaper at Glenville High School in Cleveland, Ohio. Superman creators Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster worked together on the Glenville Torch while they were students.

Note from me: The creators of this series worked hard to pay tribute to it's long and beloved history. Very Happy

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the Kent farm from Smallville was reused as the same place for the CW crossover last year with Supergirl, Green Arrow, and the Flash.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't get to see Eric Durance actually be Lois Lane as the Daily Planet's star reporter very often in Smallville, but I think if the series had continued into an era where Clark had become a reporter and they'd worked together (without her knowing he was Superman), she would have done a fine job in the role.

But to be honest, I've never seen a really satisfying portrayal of Lois Lane as a gutsy, smart, determined female reporter in any of the TV shows or movies. The closest I've seen to the way I think of Lois Lane is in the Max Fleischer cartoons like the one below — which I think is the best of the entire series! Cool

_________ Superman - The Mechanical Monsters

And it ends with this, clear evidence that Lois Lane was also a champion of Truth, Justice, and the American Way . . . in her own special way! Very Happy [/size]

When I posted the illustrated edition of my first novel exclusively for All Sci-Fi, I created newspaper articles throughout the story, like one below for the novel's climax.

A guy named Matt Daniels was the Atlanta Journal's reporter who raised up my crazy group of young boys from foolish teenagers to genuine superheroes by the end of the novel.

If you haven't read it . . . please give it a try. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My box sets of Smallville seasons 5, 6, and 7 arrived today, and while watching the season 5 premiere I decided to ponder the enigma of that alien being we all think had such a great life. Very Happy

And I realized that it is was NOT so great! Shocked

After all, this is the guy who is known as The Man of Steel, the Last Son of Krypton, that strange visitor from another planet who came to Earth with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal man.

The man who's disguised as a mild mannered reporter . . . Clark Kent!

In other words . . . Superman.

We all know about the amazing superhuman things he CAN do . . . but what about the normal human things he CAN'T do? Confused

Kal-El might be consider a sort "god" with all those nifty powers that make his resume so impressive. But we should remember that he started life just like the rest of us . . . a squalling baby who drooled, burped, peed, and pooped!

After all, we see him eat like a normal person in the TV shows and movies, so he must have a digestive system . . . and therefore he must need food. That means his body creates those indestructible cells out corn-fed beefsteak and Martha Kent's home-cooked mashed potatoes! Wink

And that brings me to my first puzzling query about the amazing Krptonian physiology.

If Kal-El grows bone, skin, blood, and all the other stuff his enviably handsome body has which makes Lois and the girls at the Daily Planet suddenly start typing gibberish every time Clark sashays past, then it stands to reason that two other body parts grow on a regular basis as well, just like every other mortal man who does NOT have powers and abilities like he does.

In short: his hair and his nails.

Being absolutely indestructible is a nifty thing, but one has to wonder . . . just how does Superman keep from having hair as long as Rapunzel's by the time he's thirty?

Hell, he wouldn't need a cape, for God's sake . . . because his ankle-length hair would cover it up completely! Shocked

And before somebody says that Superman cuts his hair with his heat vision, I'll simply point out that trimming back would be . . . impossible. Rolling Eyes

However, Smallville did establish that whenever Clark was exposed to Kryponite, he suddenly became mortal and downright wimpy! He could be shot, stabbed, and beat to a pulp — during which time he could bleed like the proverbial stuck pig!

So, I suppose Clark could slip a small lead box containing a Kryponite pebble into his pocket, then go to the local barber shop and open the box just enough to get a haircut without dying before the barber slapped on the talcum power and brushed away those indestructible clippings!

But what about the Man of Steel's facial hair?

Surely he wouldn't have endure an ordeal like the one I just described every damn morning! Did Clark Kent have to shave himself with trembling hands after getting out of the shower and placing a fragment of Krptonite on the bathroom counter which altered his physiology just enough to allow his electric razor to nip off those impregnable whiskers? Shocked

If that's how he did it, I hate think what the poor Man of Steel had to do to prevent his fingernails from looking like Fu Man Chu's, and his toenails from poking through his leather dress shoes when he showed up for work at the Daily Planet!

Obviously, personal grooming for the Last Son of Krypton was a matter of painful daily sacrifices. Sad

But that's not the worst of it . . .

Famed sci-fi author Larry Niven gave these matters careful thought years ago when he wrote Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex, the disturbing and irrefutable explanation of why Superman could never have sex with any human woman without his supersonic ejaculation blasting the poor girl's lower spinal cord right through her back like she'd straddled a shotgun! Shocked

And so, my fellow fans of this legendary hero, we must face the fact that even though he's faster than speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, this poor schmuck is domed to be a virgin his entire life . . . . or brutally kill every poor women he has sex with!

I'll conclude with this somewhat more optimistic note.

If you spent your childhood desperately wishing you could be Superman, consider this happy thought. When you needed a haircut, did you have a pleasant visit at the local barbershop, reading comic books while you sat waiting your turn in the barber's chair and then finished the interesting story?

Nice, wasn't it? Very Happy

And when your nails needed cutting, did Mom handle that job quickly without any real hardships?

Later in life, when you began shaving, was this a pleasant experience which made you enjoy the approach of your true manhood?

And finally, when you first experienced that glorious event in which you and a young lady vanquished your youthful virginity . . . did you cause the bloody death of the poor girl by blasting her in half with your super-powered orgasm? Shocked

No . . . you did not!

So, my friends, please don't feel that your mundane and normal life is pale by comparison to that of Superman's! I mean, damn . . . that poor guy can't even cut his hair, trim his nails, or get laid with the same ease that we can! Shocked

Count your blessings, guys! Cool

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My box sets of Smallville seasons 5, 6, and 7 arrived today, and while watching the season 5 premiere I decided to ponder the enigma of that alien being we all think had such a great life. Very Happy

And I realized that it is NOT so great! Shocked

After all, this is the guy who is known as The Man of Steel, the Last Son of Krypton, that strange visitor from another planet who came to Earth with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal man.

The man who's disguised as a mild mannered reporter . . . Clark Kent!

The whole world knows him as . . . Superman.

We’re all aware of the amazing superhuman things he CAN do . . . but what about the normal human things he CAN'T do? Confused

Kal-El might be considered a sort "god" with all those nifty powers that make his resume so impressive. But we should remember that he started life just like the rest of us . . . a squalling baby who drooled, burped, peed, and pooped!

After all, we see him eat like a normal person in all the TV shows and movies, so he must have a digestive system . . . and therefore he must need food. That means his body creates those indestructible cells out corn-fed beefsteak and Martha Kent's home-cooked mashed potatoes! Wink

And that brings me to my first puzzling query about the amazing Krptonian physiology.

If Kal-El grows bone, skin, blood, and all the other stuff his enviably handsome body has which makes Lois and the girls at the Daily Planet suddenly start typing gibberish every time Clark sashays past them, it stands to reason that two other body parts also grow on a regular basis as well, just like every other mortal man who does NOT have powers and abilities like he does.

In short: his hair and his nails.

Being absolutely indestructible is a nifty thing, but one has to wonder . . . just how does Superman keep from having hair as long as Rapunzel's by the time he's thirty? Hell, he wouldn't need a cape, for God's sake . . . because his ankle-length hair would cover it up completely! Shocked

And before somebody tells me that Superman cuts his hair with his heat vision, I'll simply point out that trimming the back would be . . . impossible. Rolling Eyes

However, Smallville did establish that whenever Clark was exposed to Kryponite, he suddenly became mortal and downright wimpy! He could be shot, stabbed, and beat to a pulp — during which time he could bleed like the proverbial stuck pig!

So, I suppose Clark could slip a small lead box containing a Kryponite pebble into his pocket, then go to the local barber shop and open the box just enough to get a haircut without dying before the barber slapped on the talcum power and brushed away those indestructible clippings!

But what about the Man of Steel's facial hair?

Surely he wouldn't have endure an ordeal like the one I just described every damn morning! Did Clark Kent have to shave himself with trembling hands after getting out of the shower and placing a fragment of Krptonite on the bathroom counter which altered his physiology just enough to allow his electric razor to nip off those impregnable whiskers? Shocked

If that's how he did it, I hate think what the poor Man of Steel had to do to prevent his fingernails from looking like Fu Man Chu's, and his toenails from poking through his leather dress shoes when he showed up for work at the Daily Planet!

Obviously, personal grooming for the Last Son of Krypton was a matter of painful daily sacrifices. Sad

But that's not the worst of it . . .

Famed sci-fi author Larry Niven gave these matters careful thought years ago when he wrote Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex, the disturbing and irrefutable explanation of why Superman could never have sex with any human woman without his supersonic ejaculation blasting the poor girl's lower spinal cord right through her back like she'd straddled a shotgun! Shocked

And so, my fellow fans of this legendary hero, we must face the fact that even though he's faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, this poor schmuck is domed to be a virgin his entire life . . . . or brutally kill every poor women he has sex with!

I'll conclude with this somewhat more optimistic note. If you spent your childhood desperately wishing you could be Superman, consider this happy thought.

When you needed a haircut, did you have a pleasant visit at the local barbershop, reading comic books while you sat waiting for your turn in the barber's chair so you could finished the interesting story?

Nice, wasn't it? Very Happy

And when your nails needed cutting, did Mom handle that job quickly without any real hardships?

I'll bet she did. Smile

Later in life, when you began shaving, was this a pleasant experience which made you enjoy the approach of your true manhood?

And finally, when you first experienced that glorious event in which you and a young lady vanquished your youthful virginity . . . did you cause the bloody death of the poor girl by blasting her in half with your super-powered orgasm? Shocked

No . . . you did not!

So, my friends, please don't feel that your mundane and normal life is pale by comparison to that of Superman's! I mean, damn . . . that poor guy can't even cut his hair, trim his nails, or get laid with the same ease that we can!

Count your blessings, guys! Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The producers and the writers of Smallville are geniuses!

First of all, they arranged for tons of meteoroids from Krypton tag along with Kal-El's ship when it crashed on Earth in the little town of Smallville, and this left the entire area saturated with the glowing green rocks. Bad news for Kal-El . . . Sad

But GREAT news for us, because the radiation from those emerald fragments turned out do a lot more than emit radiation that weakened the strange visitor from another planet. Their effect on humans, under certain conditions is nothing less than . . . astounding! Very Happy

These "meteor rocks" (as the citizens of Smallville call them), not only produced incredible changes in certain people on the day of the meteor shower, but in the years to come various scientists (mostly those working for Luther Corp) found endless applications for this bizarre new element. Many of these applications involved processing the element and turning it into a glowing green liquid.

This liquid was often injected into people . . . with incredible results! Sometimes the recipients gained power they used for the good of mankind. But other times they turned into monsters that a certain farm boy with unique talents had to deal with.

My point, ladies and gentlemen, is that the producers of Smallville proved that Superman's physiology and amazing abilities are the result of the unique properties of the planet he came from. And the radiation from the fragments of that planet, which were somehow energized by the explosion, had astounding and unexpected affects on human beings.

I think this is because they did not evolve on Krpton and adapt to the lower level of that radiation, which the planet bathed them with throughout their races' history.

This is the first intelligent explanation I know of for why Superman is so "super" . . . on Earth, that is . . . while your average Kryptonian didn't have superpowers on the home planet.

That's pretty weird, eh? Shocked

The red sun of Krpton somehow "muted" the affects of the planet's radiation, preventing the average Kryptonian from being "super". But it did increase their intelligence, prevent them from suffering from illness, make them all strong and attractive, and cause all the women to be so gorgeous that men tended to go plum overboard with gifts on Valentine's Day. Rolling Eyes

However, when baby Kal-El landed on Earth and got his first dose of the rays from our yellow sun, things changed dramatically! Suddenly he was indestructible, super-strong, and he had more special features than the deluxe box set of the 80th anniversary addition of Gone with the Wind! Shocked

And that, my friends, brings me to my final point.

Kal-El's father knew that sending his bouncing baby boy to Earth would make him a god among men. And he also knew how to build a spacecraft that would carry a baby to Earth, without a pilot!

Therefore . . . why did the inhabitants of Krypton stay on their doomed planet when they had the technology to leave it and go to other planets . . . like Earth . . . where they would all be Gods Among Men? Shocked

Seems kinda dumb, don't it? Confused

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud wrote:
Therefore . . . why did the inhabitants of Krypton stay on their doomed planet when they had the technology to leave it and go to other planets . . . like Earth . . . where they would all be Gods Among Men? Shocked

In the original 1938 version the ship Jor-l sends Kal-l to Earth is a small model, a prototype if you will, and the ONLY rocket able to escape Krypton's vast gravity well.

The planet was so huge that the escape velocity was so big that they had not developed rockets able to escape it. If the escape velocity on Earth is 7 miles per second, the velocity on Krypton would have to be at least 42 miles per econd....far in advance of any large size craft at that time.

Also far in advance of anything we have developed.

If you want to accept the recent "MAN OF STEEL " versions which depicted Kryptonians as having great abilities in space explorations....You are correct. It doesn't make great sense.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adorable Kristen Bell would have made an excellent Chloe on Smallville.

I could also see her in the guest star role of Imra Ardeen aka Saturn Girl when the Legion members visited Clark.

Oddly, the actress cast as SG on the Supergirl TV show had dark hair, while Imra has always been a blonde in the comic books.

The actress on Supergirl did a fine job. But some purists don't take to such cosmetic alterations when a character is adapted from the comics to live action.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: