ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
Nothin' but pure science fiction!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Fly (1958)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The downside of using a transporter (later employed as casual transportation on Star Trek TOS) - a scientist (David Hedison, credited as Al Hedison) invents this mechanism for transporting matter instantaneously, but encounters a horrific mishap when he transports himself with, unknowingly, a common house fly. When he comes out the other end, he has the head and claw of a fly. The fly, meanwhile, flies off with his head and arm (greatly miniaturized).

Most of the film is told in flashback: the scientist is found dead at the beginning, but his head & arm are crushed in a hydraulic press, so the audience and the police are unaware of his recent transformation. The wife (Patricia Owens) confesses to the murder, but it's a mystery as to why she did this. She relates what happened to the scientist's brother (Vincent Price).

_________

A problem I've had with this story's concept since seeing it as a kid is the question of why the fly's brain wasn't transferred to the scientist along with the head, but that would have been another type of story.

The horror of the story is that the scientist is fully aware of what has happened to him. He can no longer communicate verbally, resorting to written notes, but he has full comprehension of the horror that has encompassed him, as does, later, the wife.

Also tense is the scenario of capturing the errant fly so that the two can once again transport together and possibly reintegrate correctly; they come close to getting that fly, but it just was not to be. Would it have worked? We'll never know. It's a gripping combination of science fiction concepts and pure horror.

The sequel was Return of the Fly in the next year, involving the scientist's son. Then, years later, a 2nd sequel which diverged from the stories in the first two, Curse of the Fly. A famous remake by Cronenberg was in 1986; that one also had a sequel.

BoG's Score: 7.5 out of 10

__ The Remaker: The Fly (1958) vs. The Fly (1986)

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus

Last edited by Bogmeister on Mon May 20, 2019 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogmeister brought up an interesting question.

Bogmeister wrote:
A problem I've had with this story's concept since seeing it as a kid is the question of why the fly's brain wasn't transferred to the scientist along with the head, but that would have been another type of story.

I confess I never thought of that before (shame on me), but since David seemed to have part human brain and part fly "brain", and since the fly had a combo-brain as well ("Help me! Help me!"), I guess the mixing of the two in such a bizarre way is consistent with the idea that the matter transporter reassembled David and the fly in a way that allowed them both to live, even though they were not correctly reconstructed.

Boy, nobody said that being a scientist was easy! Shocked

johnnybear
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still cringe when I think of this film! It's brilliant! The sort of film that makes you think about things a long time after you've seen it! That spider still gives me nightmares!
JB
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn right, JB!

The scientist's brilliant invention, which would have transformed the world by revolutionizing transportation and shipping (instantly sending food to starving populations, etc.), turned the poor man into a hideous monster that his beautiful wife couldn't even bear to look at.

And then, after the Fly Man destroys himself with the help of his brave and loyal wife, the man-fly is shown in the web, screaming for help right up the moment the spider descends on him!

Both the Fly Man and the man-fly had enough intelligence to fully appreciate the horror of their situations. So, it's doubly tragic that David Hedison's character had to die TWICE! Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: