ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Decade of Leggy Sci-Fi Babes!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: The Decade of Leggy Sci-Fi Babes! Reply with quote

Fans of classic sci-fi from the 1950s and 1960s know full well that a key element of science fiction in the Golden Age was the lovely legs of those ladies from alien planets, lost civilizations, and distant futures.

Let's take a walk down Memory Lane with some of the bodacious beauties whose stunning gams glazed our young eyes and strolled through our dreams.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Hollywood trend to pioneer "miniskirts" — a full two decades before the fashion world finally caught up — was Space Patrol in 1950.

The two attractive space babes on this remarkable series didn't just strut around and look good, they often had dramatic and important scenes — one of which included a dangerous in-space repair of the ship after a meteoroid strike!

The ladies provided vital support to Buzz Cory and Cadet Happy, who were suited up and hanging on to the ship's hull!

One year after Space Patrol's inaugural season we were treated to Flight to Mars (1951). Marguerite Chapmen and Lucille Barkley proudly displayed their Martian limbs in outfits that left little the imagination.

__

Virginia Huston wasn't given a very attractive outfit, but for the honor of Earth, she certainly tried to hold up her end! Wink

Not to be outdone by the females from the Red Planet, the damsels from Venus strutted their stuff two years later in Abbott and Costello Go to Mars (1953). This delightful demonstration of alien femininity upped the ante (so to speak) by removing the short skirts and having the girls wear Venusian Hot Pants, an obvious reference to Venus' hellacious atmosphere.

Queen Mari Blanchard showed us her royal stocking stuffers and made us all want the same thing for Christmas! Shocked

Queen Mari's ladies-in-waiting included more heavenly bodies than our entire solar system — including the "moons", if you catch my drift . . .

We only got one gal in a short skirt in Forbidden Planet (1956), but oh what a gal she was! Miss Anne Francis inspired dreams that would have caused the Krell machine to conjure up something much nicer than invisible monsters!

Whether she was as barefoot as Daisy Mae or sporting Robby's latest fashion creation in footwear, Altaira put the "forbidden" in Forbidden Planet! Cool

During that same year, the sci-fi fans who had an eye for the ladies got both eyes full with World Without End (1956). Miss Shawn Smith and Miss Nancy Gates prance around in gorgeous outfits designed by Playboy pinup artist Vargas.

Lisa Montel didn't offer us any leg shots, but she certainly managed to cover several of the other female areas. (I mean, uncover . . . Wink)

There are about eight other ladies in the movie, but we rarely get good looks at them, even in long shots like these! Sad

In 1958, Queen of Outer Space dialed up the Eye Candy meter to 100%. We're treated to a leg show that not only gives us stunning young ladies, it also puts several of Altaira's outfits on some of these beautiful space babes.

By the end of the 1950s it looked like The Decade of Leggy Sci-Fi Babes would go out with a whimper instead of bang. Island of Lost Women (1959) was merely Leg Show Lite so to speak, with just three gals wearing Dorothy Lamour sarongs and flat shoes. (Let's face it, high heels are bitch to walk in on a beach).

But in 1959 Missile to the Moon presented us with hot alien gals from an unexpected source!

These Lunar Lovelies include Leslie Parrish, who starred as Daisy Mae in 'Lil Abner the same year this movie came out, and later in Who Mourns for Adonis on TOS.

The colorized version of this movie turned the ladies blue, which I really hate. Rolling Eyes

Amazingly enough, 1960 picked up the torch and carried on the tradition with an underrated little gem called Beyond the Time Barrier, a personal favorite of mine.

We don't see much of the various ladies who appeared in this one . . . except for its absolutely gorgeous star, Miss Darlene Tompkins.

When twenty-year-old Darlene struts her stuff in that short dress and those modest-but-attractive high heels, I pray that my blood pressure medicine won't suddenly fail. Shocked

And when she wears this sleeveless top with her little cheerleader skirt, I tend to hyperventilate.

Yes indeed, Beyond the Time Barrier might be a modest little movie, but it's the only one where you get to see horny mutants wrestle around on the floor with girls in miniskirts! Wink

If I left out anybody's favorite sci-fi leg show, please leave a lecherous reply below. __

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:51 am; edited 5 times in total
adoY
Space Cadet

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty funny!

Logan’s Run came out just a few years after this and the costume designer must have been short on cash because the female lead wore practically nothing! 🤭
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes, adoY, The lovely Jenny Agutter!

GOOD CHOICE!

Krel

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenny Agutter didn't like the short dress she wore, but she absolutely HATED the circuit outfit.

What would you call it anyway, certainly not a dress would you?

David.
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're correct. It's NOT a dress but a type of kaftán — a long dress or shirt similar in style to those worn in the Eastern Mediterranean.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah-ha. Thanks, Eadie. Very Happy

I assume the actual kaftáns are much longer . . . and made of thicker cloth . . . and not open on the sides so that the lady is showing 50% of her naked hips to the whole world! Shocked

Fashion statements aside, doesn't anybody have a suggestion for another movie that offered leggy ladies in sci-fi movies from the 1950s who aroused the boys who watched these films back then?

Surely I must have missed at least one! Shocked

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a deligent search, I determent that I'd only left out two lovely leggy ladies from the Classic Age of Science Fiction — the dainty damsels shown below, whose great gams graced the screen and paraded through our boyhood fantasies. Wink

Creature from the Black Lagoon (1953)

Julie Adams

Mysterious Island (1961)

Beth Rogan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: