ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Way to Eden - episode #75

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: The Way to Eden - episode #75 Reply with quote

__

Well, the summary above gives no indication as to the loopy direction in which this episode proceeds, so I'll try to give a more detailed account.

This episode has become known as the one with the 'Space Hippies' and how they rename Kirk 'Herbert' — we'll get to that later.

As said earlier, Kirk beams aboard a group of radicals from a fleeing ship. Barely dressed, they have rejected the sterile trappings of future civilization, seeking the mythical planet of Eden. (Now that I think about it, they would have done well to find Apollo's planet, from the Who Mourns For Adonais? episode. That locale would have suited them much better than the one which they end up on here).

_)_____
__

This also recalls The Apple and the planet on that one may have also suited these reprobates.

One of these hippies is Chekov's ex-girlfriend, from his academy days — it's amusing when Kirk learns of this. In fact, Shatner is amusing in most of his scenes here.

Though I cannot, in good conscience, score this episode higher, due to the ridiculous tone during most of the story, it does have its charms in places. Unless you're very, uh, stiff, this one will elicit some laughs from you. Unintentional ones, of course.

________ The Way to Eden - Main Jam in Lounge

Like several other 3rd season escapades, this attempts to capture the mood and spirit of the '60s relevant topics, and as a result it has become one of the more dated episodes.

Most viewers probably can't help but feel that they've been transported back to the sixties while watching this one — not to the 23rd century as intended. Even so, it comes off as a broad parody of the sixties.

The interstellar hipsters use future slang in their phrases, such as, "You reach, brother?" and also call Kirk "Herbert" — a derogatory term — when he starts speaking of rules and regulations. It comes across as quite silly now; but, it probably also sounded silly 35 - 40 years ago and viewers were probably also laughing at these scenes.

__

The episode tries to come up with insightful explanations for the antics of these flower children of outer space. Spock, of all people (er, Vulcans), relates best to these troublemakers because he understands about being alienated from your own society.

However, this episode may have knocked Spock down a peg or two in the eyes of some fans. When he joined the band of free-spirited kids in a jam session of sorts, I almost expected him to place beads on his head in the next scene and then join these punks in their wilderness Shangri-La. Vulcans are regarded as pacifists generally, after all, but, thankfully, that didn't happen. In fact, the best scene is when Spock gets a cold splash of reality and tells Kirk that the leader of this band, a former scientific researcher, is insane (Dr. Sevrin, played by Skip Homeier).

__
__

It's also kind of interesting that the motivations of a couple of these radicals are revealed to slightly veer away from the main group, showing that everyone, as usual, has their own agenda. That's another cold splash of reality.

But many scenes are cringe-worthy indeed, perhaps the most embarrassing to watch of the entire series. Most of the singing (including by cast-against-type Charles Napier as Adam, who, in line with the sideways direction here, gives the best guest performance) and all the shouting by the group of nutcases falls into this category.

'Act your age!' I always think when watching these scenes, and 'shaddap!'.

The climax does have a dark ironic tone, as well it should, as we tend to forget that the final sequence actually takes place on a planet somewhere in the Romulan Zone! It also attacks the entire concept of the biblical Eden, but this subversive message is lost amid all the attacks on the authority of the "Great White Captain upstairs." I guess it's fortunate there were no bongs in this one.

BoG's Score: 4.5 out of 10

Extra Trek Trivia:

~ The term 'Herbert' refers to a minor official who was well known for his limited pattern of thought.

~ In an early version of this story, one of the hippies was McCoy's daughter, Joanna McCoy.'

~ The writer of this one, D.C.Fontana, changed her credit to a pseudonym after becoming dissatisfied with the changes to her story. I don't blame her.

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched this episode while formatting Bogmeister's review on his board for this All Sci-Fi version, and I cringed at the silliness just the Bogmeistes mentioned above.

I was also appalled by the sloppiness of the scenes in which the Enterprise personnel beam down to the planet and quickly discover that all the plant life is dangerous to touch. Chekov burns his hand on a lovely flower, and McCoy said eveyone's clothing would protect them "for a while".

And then we see the men blundering around for the next few minutes, repeatedly brushing against the acidic flowers and bushes, even allowing their heads to touch low hanging branches! Shocked

They did even act like they were concerned about the danger, so the entire scene just didn't convey what it was supposed to. Rolling Eyes

Add to this the fact that the single "enhanced" shot of the planet's surface —

— was so incongruous with the usual studio set which the actors are seen walking around in that it too was worth yet another "cringe" all by itself. Rolling Eyes

I find it interesting the Bogmeistes didn't consider this one his "least favorite episode", instead of the far superior The Lights of Zetar. He rated that one 3 out of 10 and this one 4.5 out of 10! Shocked

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Bud,The Way To Eden is another episode from ST(TOS)that I take a pass on every time its rerun.
Very poor episode.

Trivia } "Joanna"was the original title for this episode by D.C.Fontana.

As Bogmeister originally pointed out,this episode was intended for Dr.McCoy's daughter to be the lead.Originally she was to have been a nurse not a space hippie.
D.C.wanted to have a romance develop between Kirk and Joanna and presenting an uncomfortable dynamic between the captain of the Enterprise & the chief medical surgeon.

D.C.Fontana thought that either Nancy Sinatra or Bobbie Gentry could play the role of Joanna.

Beautiful Phyllis Douglas played the brunette hippie. She is better remembered as Yeoman Mears in the much better episode from season #1 "The Galileo Seven."

The idea of Joanna being the daughter of McCoy was not embraced by producer Fred Freiberger because he thought Kirk and McCoy would be about the same age.
So the good doctor could not possibly have a grown daughter under those circumstances.

Nirvana was the name of the planet in the script until it was changed to Eden.

There was also concern that McCoy would appear old to the audience if he had a grown daughter.

In order to keep costs down the spaceship Aurora was actually the Tholian star ship with nacelles attached to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: