ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battlebots on the Science Channel
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polly, I will DEFINITELY join you tonight for Battlebots!

Gord Green apparently also saw the sneak preview a few days ago on the Discovery channel, and he's been ill for the last few days, so we might not see him in the chat room tonight at 9:00 EST. Sad

However, I'm sure he'll join us next week for the 2nd episode! Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created a mock-up jpeg of a design I think could go up against Tombstone, the reigning champ of Battlebots shown below.

The picture below which illustrates my idea started with an older version of Tombstone and doubled the number of blades.

The idea is to have the blades spin in such a way as to prevent Tombstone's blade from hitting them head-on! In other words, if his blade spins clockwise, my bot's blades will spin counter-clockwise. The blades of the two bots will tend to "mesh" like gears do!

Think of it as "rolling with the punch". Tombstone's blade will be chasing after my bot's blade, unable to deliver a forceful hit because the leading edge of the blades on both bots are going in the same direction!

This is my bot's defense against Tombstone.

The offensive moves of the two bots would involve them both attacking each other from the sides . . . except that Tombstone also has a vulnerable rear, whereas mine does NOT. Cool

MetroPolly
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're absolutely right. Your bot doesn't have a vulnerable rear... it has vulnerable sides!

Bud, you've seen what happens to bots that don't shield their wheels; while you're showing off how Tombstone can't hit your blades (and you're trying to keep control of them, and steer, and fight back) Tombstone will sheer off your wheels, leaving you basically a spinning doorstop.

Love your plan, but remember, it doesn't hurt to think of defense too.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polly, most bots have had their armor ripped to shreds by Tombstone. And my version is no more vulnerable on the sides than Tombstone — the reigning champion! Shocked

My bot (let's name it Twin Cyclone) is MORE likely to sheer off Tombstone's wheels than he is to sheer off mine! I can turn in either direction to bring one of the spinning blades between my bot and his to prevent an assault on my sides.

But if I attack Tombstone from behind, he has to turn all the way around to defend his vulnerable sides AND rear. All Twin Cyclone has to do is make a quarter turn to protect either side — and its rear is NOT vulnerable at all.

Come on, admit it, Polly. THIS is the best defense against the reigning champ. In a battle with Tombstone, armor just adds weight, and Tombstone eats armor for breakfast!

Remember what Tombstone did to the mighty Bronco, one of the most heavily armored bots in the game? Tombstone stripped away the armor on one side and removed a wheel.

____________________ Tombstone vs. Bronco

PS: The Discovery channel is showing episode 4 of Battlebots tonight at 8:00. They list it as a "new" episode with an original air date of 5/25/18. I left a phone message for Gord about it, and I hope you'll be in the chat room, too. Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight's Discover channel episode of Battlebots was in fact a NEW episode and it was the best one yet! Metropolly and I had a great time sharing it together in All Sci-Fi's Chatzy room.

This coming Wednesday on the Science Channel is the next episode! Please join us, folks! Very Happy

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battlebots is back, and two episodes have already aired. Gord Green and I hope to watch our DVR's of them this week. Anybody want to join us in All Sci-Fi's Chatzy room?

If so, send me a PM and I'll let you when our plans are finalized. Cool

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUV DEM BOTS!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just learned this. Very Happy

Discovery has ordered 20 two-and-a-half-hour episodes of the show, with the season premiere scheduled for May 15.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: