ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Love War (1970 TV movie)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: The Love War (1970 TV movie) Reply with quote

Lloyd Bridges and Angie Dickinson star in this TV movie about two alien races who decide not to go to war over which one will rule Earth.

Instead they settle the dispute by letting representatives of each race duel it out in a deserted town. Ironically, Bridges (from the planet Argon) falls in love with Dickinson (from the planet Zina).

A nice idea, but producer Aaron Spelling and director George McCowan fail to give it much pizazz.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, lo and behold! The complete movie, The Love War, with Lloyd Bridges and Angie Dickinson! The picture quality is not great, apparently from a VHS tape.

_______________The Love War (1970) - part 1

_______________The Love War (1970) - part 2

_______________The Love War (1970) - part 3

_______________The Love War (1970) - part 4

_______________The Love War (1970) - part 5

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:30 am; edited 3 times in total
Krel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1970 Director George McCowan directed the TVM "The Challenge". For some reason he was disappointed with the movie, and used the Alan Smithee pseudonym.

Also in 1970 Mr. McCowan directed a similar TVM movie about two groups of Aliens battling on Earth to see who gets the Earth.

The races of Argon and Zinon have been at war for centuries and have suffered for it. Each side battles for planets they find, but because of the damage done, they have come to an agreement on how to handle the battle for new planets. Each side sends three soldiers, disguised as humans, to do battle on Earth, winner take all. Kyle (Lloyd Bridges) is the leader of the Argon unit. He meets an Earth woman, Sandy (Angie Dickinson) who he becomes involved with.

This is as far as I am going to go, as the movie can be found on YouTube in 5 parts. There has been no official DVD release.

The title "The Love War" is a bad title for a pretty good TVM, that would make a good feature film.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wonderful review, David! Cool

I noticed the YouTube link on my July 19th, 2015 post no longer worked, so I replaced it with the five-part version now being offered.

I also discovered that I did in fact download that full-movie version to my trusty lapstop — probably with the intention of watching it with the late and sorely missed Tim Edwards (Bulldogtrekker) . . . although we never got around to it. Sad

I wish the people who uploaded the full version I acquired and the five-part version now available had not stretched the 4:3 image to fill the YouTube screen, thus distorting the damn picture! Sad

I'm sure that doesn't happen automatically when a video is uploaded, so I suspect it's something done intentionally by clueless people who are bothered by black bars on the sides.

Why would anybody distort the image to fill the screen just to eliminate the black bars? Rolling Eyes

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
. . . I wish the people who uploaded the full version I acquired and the five-part version now available had not stretched the 4:3 image to fill the YouTube screen, thus distorting the damn picture! Sad

I'm sure that doesn't happen automatically when a video is uploaded, so I suspect it's something done intentionally by clueless people who are bothered by black bars on the sides.

Why would anybody distort the image to fill the screen just to eliminate the black bars? Rolling Eyes

I haven't uploaded any videos to YouTube, so I don't know what the default settings are. But many people seem to think the picture has to fill the screen or it somehow doesn't look right. They don't notice (or don't care) that the image is horizontally stretched like a rubber band!

You'd think that, in this media-savvy age, folks would have a basic understanding of the various film and TV aspect ratios.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: