ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
Nothin' but pure science fiction!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Men in the Moon - (1964)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the only time I post on Facebook is when I get a picture of my cat doing something cute.
Rolling Eyes
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture isn't great on this Youtube video, but the trailer is pretty cool.

IMDB has a very interesting item in their trivia section.

This is the only one of Ray Harryhausen's films to be shot in anamorphic widescreen (2.35:1) due to the difficulty of compositing images in his Dynamation Process. Many of the models had to be sculpted in the "squeezed" dimensions so that when they were photographed with a spherical lens, they would appear in their normal shape in projection

_____________ First Men In The Moon - trailer

_________

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BBC made a remake of this classic in 2010 with Mark Gatiss (Mycroft on SHERLOCK ) as Cavor.

Although the effects were not up to Harryhousen they were not bad.

In 1969 the Apollo moon landing is to be televised internationally but at a country fair in England a small boy named Jim meets the 90-year-old Julius Bedford who tells him that,in 1909,as a struggling writer,he met eccentric Professor Cavor,inventor of Cavorite,a gravity-defying substance which they used to build a sphere,which took them to the Moon.

Captured by ant-like Selenites,Bedford was anxious to make his escape but Cavor was happy to stay and communicate with the Moon-dwellers. Back on Earth Bedford hears via wireless that Cavor was forced to kill himself and the Moon-dwellers to prevent them from invading Earth. As Jim watches the Apollo landing with his parents back in the present he sees a Selenite,hiding behind a lunar rock,peering at the astronauts.

Last edited by Gord Green on Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:04 am; edited 2 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy 50th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing! Very Happy

Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been fond of this one — not a favorite, but it's got that Victorian charm. They didn't update the story much, except for the bookends of the 'modern' moon expedition, so it's Steampunk. They did try to present the moon as more along the lines of reality. The novel by Wells described the moon with an atmosphere and vegetation. I have a VHS and an LD of this one, but not a DVD:

Lionel Jeffries passed away recently, earlier this year. His character is over-the-top and comical, but also has moments of poignancy — especially towards the end. His best moment is when he decides to tell Edward Judd's character about his secret invention (Cavorite). He just throws caution to the wind, caught up in the exuberance of wild invention.

Edward Judd plays a rather irresponsible fellow who latches onto the possibilities of Cavor's amazing invention. His frustrated girlfriend, Martha Hyer, goes along on the abrupt moon expedition by accident.

As for the Moon Cow — yes, not Harryhausen's most impressive work. But it's a very small part of the picture. This film ended up as an early Steampunk-style sci-fi effort, before that term came into use, like THE GREAT RACE (1965).

BoG's Score: 6.5 out of 10

Moon Trivia:
Famed Brit actor Peter Finch has a cameo because he happened to visit the film set one day and a bit actor had not shown up for work. Also, I've always puzzled about the title of this one — not "on" the moon, but "in" - a bit odd. But, I guess technically they were "in" the moon. Rolling Eyes

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H.G. Wells complete novel is available at Wikisource, and I read a little of chapter 8, A Lunar Morning to be certain I remembered it correctly from reading the novel in high school.

Wells' description of the Moom could not be more scientifically inaccurate if he'd just gotten Edgar Rice Burroughs to write it for him! Very Happy

Well's version of the Moon has a very fast day-night cycle (rather than 28 Earth days for one revolution). And when Bedford and Cavor gaze out the portholes at the first dawn after they land, they witness the direct sunlight cause the Moon's layer of snow quickly evaporate into gas and form an atmosphere!

The Moon suddenly had a blue sky!

Furthermore, a carpet of brown "needles" pointing upward is revealed below the evaporating snow, and attached to these needles were round seed pods which burst open and caused roots to pierce the ground, while stems reached upward and spiked leaves shot outward.

Here's how Bedford describes the rapid covering of the Lunar landscape with these fast-growing plants.

" . . . and all the slope that had seemed so recently a lifeless stretch of litter was now dark with the stunted olive-green herbage of bristling spikes that swayed with the vigor of their growing."

These Moon-plants varied in color an shape, and in a matter or minutes the cavorite sphere was surrounded by an alien juggle! Later in the story (as I remember) all the plants died at sunset and crumbled away, while the atmosphere re-froze and covered the surface with snow again.

Frankly I think Harryhausen should have made his movie based on the wild UNrealistic elements of the Moon that Wells described. In the book, the mooncalves grazed in pastures of the bizarre Moon-vegetation.

That sounds pretty wonderful to me. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: