ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ivan Tors' Office of Scientific Investigation (OSI)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Discussions in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Ivan Tors' Office of Scientific Investigation (OSI) Reply with quote

I posted the following message on the CHFB site back in September 2018, and thought I had also posted it here at ASF, but I can't find it now, so here it is again:
==================================

Those of you who are fans of Ivan Tors probably know that his first science fiction movie, "The Magnetic Monster" (1953), introduced the fictitious Office of Scientific Investigation, or OSI, and its special agents, the "A-Men" (Atom Men). OSI reappeared in his next two Scifi movies. The agency often played a part in his later TV series, too ("Science Fiction Theatre"), but never exactly as OSI. Instead, the name of the organization varied as the TV episodes were produced. Here's a rundown of all the variants, and the shows they appeared in. Although scientist/agents appeared in all of them, the "A-Men" designation was only used in Magnetic Monster.

--------------------------------------
MOVIES:

MAGNETIC MONSTER (1953)
Office of Scientific Investigation

RIDERS TO STARS (1954)
There are three different organizations in this one:
The Office of Special Personnel selected a list of 12 qualified personnel, which they submitted to the
Bureau of Security Investigation, who recruited the nominees to begin astronaut training at "Snake Mountain Proving Grounds", also called "a deserted army camp" operated by the Office of Scientific Investigation (some of the Snake Mountain footage was actually of White Sands Proving Ground).

GOG (1954)
Office of Scientific Investigation

--------------------------------------
SCIENCE FICTION THEATRE EPISODES (1955-1957):

THE SOUND THAT KILLS and
THE MIRACLE OF DR DOVE
Office of Scientific Security

THE MAN WHO DIDN'T KNOW
Bureau of Scientific Security

THE LAST BARRIER
Federal Bureau of Scientific Security, and 20 seconds later, the same organization is called
Federal Bureau of Scientific Information.

THE MAGIC SUITCASE
Government Special Security Division

BOLT OF LIGHTNING
US Office of Scientific Intelligence

THE STRANGE LODGER
Western Research (the name is not in the usual format, but seems to be an organization similar to OSI)

THE KILLER TREE
Foundation for the Advancement of Science

OPERATION FLYPAPER
Bureau of Internal Security

THE OTHER SIDE OF THE MOON
Scientific Research Board and
Scientific Research Laboratory
(This episode also starred the mysterious multifunctional pseudo-scientific instrument that we have come to know as The Gizmo).
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds just like the Federal Government: MANY organizations with over-lapping responsibilities and none accountable to any other agency.

Reminds me of "Majestic 12" the 12 senior members who thought they had control of the early UFO investigations without regard to
MAJIC: the Military Administered Joint Intelligence Comittee which has long been superceded by who knows what or whom.[/size]
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an awesome post, Steve. As a fan of Science Fiction Theatre and the Ivan Tors movies which included OSI, that's a very helpful body of info.

17 Oaks
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: OSI & Are they REAL? Reply with quote

Office of Security and Intelligence, USAF.

I am not sure exactly when the OSI was established, what I do know is that my father was one of the 7 founding Officers. I am going to guess the OSI was founded sometime in post WWII.

Later my father was stationed at the Pentagon and for a time worked on Project Blue Boo. This would have been in the mid 1950's.

My guess some will ask, what did my father have to say about UFO's?

Dad took all his secrets with him to the grave. I know nearly nothing about his Post WWII career, other than he was gone almost the entire time till his retirement in 1962. I do not know where or what he did.

I did ask Dad (not long before he died from cancer and he knew he was going to die) this question.

Dad are they real?

In my entire life I NEVER heard these words come out of his mouth. He usually said things like, "Top Secret. I cannot say". So, what he said gave me the answer, without saying it.

He said this...

"NO COMMENT!"
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If you folks will please look right here I'll explain why alltare did NOT write a post about the OSI, it was just a humorous comment about how we never once catch a glimpse of Altaira's panties in those short dresses she wears. Thank you for your cooperation."

alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
"If you folks will please look right here I'll explain why alltare did NOT write a post about the OSI, it was just a humorous comment about how we never once catch a glimpse of Altaira's panties in those short dresses she wears. Thank you for your cooperation."

========================

Huh??? Explain it to me, too.

========================
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously because she wasn't wearing any,...…..

What were we talking about????

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alltare wrote:
Huh??? Explain it to me too.

Just a silly joke, of course, based on MIB. You got it, I'm sure.

But just in case you're still confused . . . Dad took the secrets he knew to his grave.

I'm impressed. Aren't you? Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Discussions in General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: