ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jupiter Ascending (2015)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE!

The other day in the press, I heard the Wachowski's refereed to as the Wachowski sisters. So both have been altered.

Please make note for future reference.

David.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solidarity.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, do those transgender treatments and operations really do everything to change a guy into a gal? Shocked

I mean, females have XX chromosomes. Males have XY chromosomes. So, do the Wachowskis now have nothing but XX chromosomes?

If not . . . doesn't that mean they're still "guys"?

Whether they like it not? Very Happy

Krel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched it tonight. Was it confusing? A bit. Well more than a bit.

Was it beautiful to see? Yes. Fantastic production design and SPFX.

Was it a horror movie? HELL YES! Colonizing planets just so they could murder the entire population for an Elixir Vitae, is a pure horror plot line. AND IT WASN'T THE MAJOR THEME OF THE MOVIE!

Although, you do have to kind of admire their patience in being willing to wait a few million years to harvest their crop. Talk about taking the long view!

Was it better than I expected? Surprisingly, yes. I found it very enjoyable despite the genocide plot line.

And Sean Bean SURVIVED! That in itself is shocking.

David.
Krel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Just out of curiosity, do those transgender treatments and operations really do everything to change a guy into a gal? Shocked

I mean, females have XX chromosomes. Males have XY chromosomes. So, do the Wachowskis now have nothing but XX chromosomes?

If not . . . doesn't that mean they're still "guys"?

Whether they like it not? Very Happy

Remember in the first season of "Miami Vice" when the car they used was a Volkswagen in a Ferrari lookalike body?

Same thing.

David.
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
Remember in the first season of "Miami Vice" when the car they used was a Volkswagen in a Ferrari lookalike body?

The fake Ferrari Daytonas used in the first two seasons were actually re-bodied Corvettes.
Krel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
Krel wrote:

The fake Ferrari Daytonas used in the first two seasons were actually re-bodied Corvettes.

Interesting I had read that the were Volkswagens. Thanks.

Still the same thing.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I want to thank Rick for proving that he's perfectly comfortable expressing his negative feelings about this movie . . . in spite of the fact that the rest of us liked it (in varying degrees). Very Happy

And I also appreciate the way he made no attempt to tip-toe around the subject in fear of stepping on the toes of somebody who can't tolerate a dissenting opinion. Rolling Eyes

Doing that was actually a compliment to us al! Wink

Please note that the folks who DID disagree with Rick showed their own maturity by replying with humorous sarcasm and imaginative hyperbole, expressing their disagreements with no trace of animosity. (Kudos to Wayne, aka orzel-W. Very Happy).

The whole exchange made me proud of the members of All Sci-Fi.

In defense of Jupiter Ascending, I watched it again today and greatly enjoyed my second viewing . . . without feeling quite as enamored by it as Wayne.

But I did envy him. "Loving" a movie is a lot more fun than just "enjoying" it. And this one seems worthy of "loving", despite my less-than-complete enthusiasm.

In defense of Rick, the critics and the movie-going public sided with him on this one, so we can hardly accuse him of overlooking the merits of a cinematic gem which was universally praised! Confused

In the end, his opinions (along with each of ours) were based on personal tastes . . . and those are never "right" or "wrong". Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it's good to take a second look at a movie you really couldn't get into on first viewing. The first time I watched this movie I think I must have been a bit distracted. I do tend to multitask.....Watching a movie while writing about something else on line and reading a book at the same time.

Recently I rewatched this film since it is on Netflix streaming this month and....I think either it was a better edited cut, the movie got better....OR I looked at it with an open mind! Didn't love it, but I certainly enjoyed it.
Sometimes you just have to suspend belief and just go with it.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord, you are definitely my "brother from another mother", because I realized a few weeks ago that the only way I could really watch a movie was to turn of my laptop and focus on the television — all the way from the opening credits to the "The End"! Very Happy

Sometimes that's really hard, because I start coming up with ideas I want to write about, and I'm just itchin' to put the keyboard back on my lap and begin composing something.

But I have to resist the urge, because the minute I start tapping on the keyboard, the movie just turns into "background noise" and I loose track of the plot! Sad

Mike Cervello
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this movie some time ago. I was not impressed. It’s too old school for a modern audience. Jupiter can’t fight her own battles and needs rescuing way too often. That would have work a generation ago, but not these days.

The effects were great, but the story is too predictable. I like plots with twists the audience doesn’t see coming.

That’s my two cents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: