ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Discussions in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maximum7
Junior Crewman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on? Reply with quote

I’m looking not for a gadget or piece of tech. I’ve decided everything technological that we can think of, can be done. Speeders with deflector shields? Sure. We haven’t seen them but they can easily be done. I’m looking for something that would still be an emerging field of science. Something a Type II/III civilization would do next. Any ideas?
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many ideas have been out there so there's not a lot of real original ones to draw from, but how about....

A Reality Bender - A device that can create a field that is capable of altering the laws of physics. Imagine a field that can change the laws of thermodynamics, the laws of aerodynamics, even on the quantum level changing relativity and atomic structure. A field could be projected around an enemy starship and alter the sub atomic forces holding all its' atoms together rendering it destroyed. Spread about a planet or planetary system of a star the results would be disasterous. The device could project a field akin to how the Higgs field creates gravity.

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my goodness, Max! Welcome to All Sci-Fi . . . again! Cool

You joined us in late 2017 and made one post which posed an interesting question about a game you were making. Here's the link that post.

Sci-fi future invention point system game

Unfortunately All Sci-Fi is largely populated by old guys like me (I'm 70 years old) who rarely play video games except when we visit our grand children! Shocked

So, I suspect that if discussions of that sort are what you're looking for, we might be a disappointment. Sad

But if you have any interest in recent sci-fi movies and TV series from the last decade, we hope you'll enjoy our highly entertaining discussions!

We might be old . . . but we haven't been just sitting around on our ass watching technology explode for the last seven decades!

Hell's Bells, we've been looking forward to it for the last half century! Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Maximum7
Junior Crewman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Well, my goodness, Max! Welcome to All Sci-Fi . . . again! Cool

You joined us in late 2017 and made one post which posed an interesting question about a game you were making. Here's the link that post.

Sci-fi future invention point system game

Unfortunately All Sci-Fi is largely populated by old guys like me (I'm 70 years old) who rarely play video games except when we visit our grand children! Shocked

So, I suspect that if discussions of that sort are what you're looking for, we might be a disappointment. Sad

But if you have any interest in recent sci-fi movies and TV series from the last decade, we hope you'll enjoy our highly entertaining discussions!

We might be old . . . but we haven't been just sitting around on our ass watching technology explode for the last seven decades!

Hell's Bells, we've been looking forward to it for the last half century! Shocked

Thank you for the warm welcome!!! I’m writing a Star Wars story and people of all ages can enjoy it. Smile
Maximum7
Junior Crewman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided extragalactic science; stuff outside the main galaxy would be a good venue. Based on astronomical ideas, what odd and unusual objects might a scientist encounter in the starless void of space in between galaxies. Creative ideas welcomed!
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an original and challenging question, Max! It certainly calls to mind some intriguing thoughts! I'm not sure my ideas below can be used in your Star Wars story, but here's what I came up with.

I'm sure you and the other members will enjoy it. Sad

~ An object we might spot out there would have to be galaxy-sized itself just to be visible. A galaxy-size object that is NOT just a galaxy is almost frightening!

~ Objects "in the starless void of space in between galaxies" would not be lit by visible light. Therefore they either have to be detected by radio telescopes or be emitting massive amounts of visible light themselves. And since we're suggesting that such an object is not just galaxy, what the heck is it? Shocked (I'm getting spooked again.)

~ The location of such a "mystery object" would be millions of years old by the time we detected it, just like everything else we see which is many light years away.

But what if we took new measurements on the strange object a year later . . . and discovered that it was hundreds of light years closer to us! Confused

That would mean the object is (a) moving straight towards us, and (b) it's traveling hundreds of times the speed of light!

(That idea is going to keep me awake tonight! Shocked)

~ What if the strange object turned out not to be just one large object . . . but a gigantic cluster of objects numbering in the trillions? Could this be mammoth fleet of starships, heading straight towards the Milky Way galaxy?

(Damn, I'm not going to get a WINK of sleep, tonight! Sad)

~ What if the detection method we used involved a new form of technology which received a previously unknown form of radiation? Or it might be something which involved neutrinos, which we've previously had difficulty detecting at all?

And what if we discovered that these "neutrino waves" were actually being emitted by the fleet of alien ships? Furthermore, we discover that they are transmitting a "coherent pattern" of signals . . . a message to us and anyone in our galaxy who can receive it! Shocked

(God, I hope TCM has some good movies on tonight which will take my mind off this disturbing concept! Confused)

~ With all that in mind, ponder this idea, folks! The fleet of ships is sending us a warning that the black hole at the center our galaxy is about to become a "Dark Matter Super Nova", something we currently have no knowledge of, but which has already destroyed other galaxies!

The approaching fleet of starships is from a race of beings in the Andromeda galaxy who are coming to evacuate all sentient species from the Milky Way before this disaster strikes. They're going to take us back to their galaxy!

(I'll stop right here, folks, because I desperately need to go pack. I've got too many beloved possessions to leave behind when we're evacuated. I suggest you all do the same!)

Max, thanks for suggesting such a brilliant concept for us to discuss! I hope you visit All Sci-Fi more often and post great ideas like the one you described! Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Discussions in General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: