ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Revenge of the Creature (1955)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Revenge of the Creature (1955) Reply with quote

_____

The first of two sequels that followed the immensely popular 3-D hit "The Creature from the Black Lagoon", this one also released in 3D.

Instead of Julie Adams and Richard Carlson we get Lori Nelson (the object of the creature's affection) and John Agar. The famous gill man is captured, brought to Marineland in Florida, chained up, and disciplined with an electric cattle prod while tourist line up to watch his scheduled feedings through big glass windows in his tank.

(Technical Question: Wouldn't an electric cattle prod used underwater deliver a shock to the person holding it? Just askin'. Shocked )

By the time he escapes and goes on the rampage the audience is primed and ready for the creature's much-deserved revenge. He crashes a party and carries off Miss Nelson, but Agar and the local law catch up with them on a deserted beach.

Of the three "Creature" films, this one is the least exciting. Both this one and the original were directed by the great Jack Arnold.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:00 pm; edited 5 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a great movie, but certainly a mighty fine trailer. The narrator is none other than the man who gave voice to Robby the Robot — Marvin Miller — and he does a fine job.

The scene where the creature turns over a car (at the 1:45 mark in the trailer below) is definitely a "Wow!" moment for the audience.

Behold!

Unfortunately, all three of the Creature Features were simply "one trick ponies" — with a very simple trick. They just didn't measure up as true science fiction by presenting a concept which challenged the intellect of the audience. Smile
Shocked

______ Revenge of the Creature Official Trailer #1

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:17 pm; edited 5 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hand-picked trivia items from IMDB.

A young Clint Eastwood makes his first screen appearance as a lab technician. He discusses with Professor Ferguson (John Agar) about an experiment involving a cat and several mice sharing the same cage. He points out that one of the mice in the cage is missing and accuses the cat of eating it, but discovers that the missing mouse was in his lab coat pocket.

Note from me: Big, tough, ruthless, bad-ass Clint Eastwood . . . with a mouse in his pocket. Goodness me, what a thought.

While re-releases of the film in theaters and on television have utilized the more-recognizable red-and-blue glasses anaglyph form of 3-D, the film was originally released as 3-D entertainment in theaters using the polarized light method and used glasses with gray polarizing filters.

Note from me: A local TV station in Atlanta aired this movie in the 1980s, heavily publicizing the fact that it would be broadcast in 3D. Local drugstores gave away the red/blue glasses for a week prior to the event.

My daughter was about six years old, and the 3D glasses were too wide for her small face, so I had TO modify a pair by making a fold in the section between the red/blue lenses that pulled them closer together. I stapled the fold to hold it in place.

In other words, I started with the pair in the top image, and ended up with the pair in bottom image.

By the way, my daughter is All Sci-Fi member Ticket2theMoon. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Revenge of the Creature (1955) Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
By the time he escapes and goes on the rampage the audience is primed and ready for the creature's much-deserved revenge. He crashes a party and carries off Miss Nelson, but Agar and the local law catch up with them on a deserted beach.

If it had been a costume party, the Gill-Man could have crashed the party unnoticed. He might even have won a prize for best costume!
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sequel to The Creature From the Black Lagoon (54). The actors from the first one did not return , but director Jack Arnold did.

Despite this, according to Bill Warren in his Keep Watching the Skies book, this isn't half the film that the first one was. The locale shifts from Brazil to Florida. The plot imitates King Kong; the beast is taken from his native land and falls for a pretty woman.

Universal perfected their technique of a film series with its thirties & forties monsters — Frankenstein and Dracula — and did the same strategy with this creature. The next and final film was The Creature Walks Among Us (56).

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
Bud Brewster wrote:

If it had been a costume party, the Gill-Man could have crashed the party unnoticed. He might even have won a prize for best costume!

Possibly, but I'll bet the judge of the contest would look at the Gill Man and say, "I don't quite know about that costume, buddy. Something smells fishy . . . " Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: